SASS Wire Forum

Reason for shortages

Cheatin Charlie

My opinion for the current shortages is not so much hoarding but the fact that families are staying home now because of the virus.  Think of how much food and paper products that are used at home now that used to be used at work or school.  I will bet a families usage of products has gone way up since they cannot go out.  Just my thought for what it is worth.  It has been weeks since I have seen disinfectant wipes at the store.  Where paper products used to be they now have alcoholic beverages.   Happy shopping

Absolutely correct.  It takes time to shift the supply chains from schools, restaurants and businesses to supermarkets.  The TP industry may take months to change if they ever do.  

Instead of kids eating school meals, adults eating out at work....they are eating in at home. Same thing with all paper goods, all foods, cleaning supplies, etc. Clearly, some the shortages are caused by hoarders, panic driven buying and profiteers who hope to make a killing by charging wild prices for common goods.

One thing that never crossed my mind was that the farmers are now having to sell their produce at a greatly reduced price, give it away, plow it under or simply let it rot on the vine. I just read the below article about Florida vegetable farmers. Many of these farmers will be out of business soon if this continues much longer. 

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-online/2020/04/08/coronavirus-claims-an-unexpected-victim-florida-vegetables

Marshal Mo Hare is correct.

Also, This shortage business is purely about people panicking. It all started in Japan. Someone in Japan realized that all their TP and other paper products came from China. Not "some", but ALL. Someone sent out an email. The email was sent to others, then the email went to others in other countries then stupidity set in and Viola! Dumbassery of a very high order.

Archived