SASS Wire Forum

My guncart story

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I was first going to title this "My guncart odyssey" but it really was more of a day-trip. :-)  
My first couple matches (1999) I used one of those tiny chrome foldable luggage dollies with a
gym bag on the bottom and a couple of $50 Mexican scabbards from the gunshow strapped onto it.  
4" wheels or something like that.  Anyway, it was a start.  Then I bought a hand truck on sale
for $40 with pneumatic tires.  I used to say that some folks' guncarts are so nice that they
look like furniture, so I just started out with furniture.  I strapped a 2-drawer night stand
onto the hand truck.  A simple rack at the bottom for the gun butts plus the same two scabbards
for carrying extra guns, usually just holding a cleaning rod.  In case I did want to use the
scabbards for the long guns, a rolled up magazine was inserted into the bottom of one to keep
the rifle up just high enough for the lever to stay open.  And I used a 6" piece of stiff
electrical wire for the SxS shotgun, bending it into a 'U' and inserting the ends into the
chambers.  The springiness of the wire kept it in place and kept the barrels from closing when
put into the scabbard. I would remove the two drawers before putting the cart (on its back)
into the bed of my Ranger pickup.  First pic is when it was new.  Second pic is after some
years of wear and getting rained on.  The boots to hold the long gun butts was an idea I got
from Bad Ace.  But the old boots I had were only big enough for certain butts to fit in, so I
quit using them.  The only problem I had with that cart was that occasionally when pulling it
over rough ground it would start rocking back and forth with the wheels so close together and I
would have to be careful so it didn't turn over.

cart.JPG

cart1.JPG

That all worked great for a long time until I wrecked the truck.  My replacement. a '95
Lincoln, had a big enough trunk to hold the hand truck, but not the nightstand.  So I used the
same cart but switched to a wooden Budweiser beer box.  This, too, worked well for a long time.
 I had some pics but they are lost.  At the age of 19 years and 290K miles that car was worn
out, so I got a newer ('03) Lincoln.  Slightly smaller trunk.  I could still fit the hand truck
in there, but only if I removed the full-size spare tire.  No thanks.  Time for a smaller cart.

I found the vintage Bag Boy golf cart at a thrift store for $8.  The minimal wooden racks for
the long guns were just a couple pieces of scrap wood.  My mom let me have the vintage Oshkosh
train case for my "cart box."  With the box removed, the cart folds up so small and light that
I can pick it up at the balance point with one hand to lift it up and into the trunk.  This is
important for me because I have to use the other hand to brace myself on the rear of the trunk
lip as I lean forward or my trick back will go out immediately.  In case of rain, the cart can
be folded up even with the long guns still on it, and a garbage bag will fit over the entire
thing.  If space is really at a premium, I can also collapse it to make a smaller footprint, though

I have not needed to do that.

Guncart1.jpg

Collapsed and ready to cover for rain:

Guncart2.jpg

No, I can't sit on the cart.  I almost never sit down at a match.  If I am not shooting, I am
typically picking brass.  I did have to buy a new roll of elastic for the loops to secure the
long gun barrels, plus the water bottle rack at a dollar store.  So I've got $11 in this cart.
:-)  Anyways, just some more ideas for folks looking for cheap and easy carts.

congrats , a very ingenious solution , i added a bagboy umbrella holder and a couple other odd bits to mine but its all about what you need in the end , i also do not sit much - pickin brass or spottin , so no seat on mine , im a member of the posse we all do our share , 

im also using an old bagboy golf cart - thank you grampa and thanks to sam sneed for forgiving me removing the bag and such that i no longer use after giving up golf , mine has a few different attachments but yes i did go through the scabbard bit and still have them if needed , 

i added some ATV adjustable upper gun holders and a couple cabellas double trap pouches to hold the butts of mine , the doubles are held to the side broken and the rifles in the middle with levers open , i still have the ruck sack i used for three gun to hold ammo and the rest on the bag platform , there is a lot you can do with these - wide wheel stance and larger wheels keep it stable and movable on the roughest terrain , folds to the size of a golf gay and goes through the camper door real nice , i can handle it one handed but prefer two for stability , my back is also a bit tricky so i get where your coming from there very well , 

17 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

No, I can't sit on the cart.  I almost never sit down at a match.

I can't sit on mine either so I bought a folding stool from wally world and a padded seat cover of amazon and have the best of both worlds (I'm old and tire easily)

20 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I can't sit on mine either so I bought a folding stool from wally world and a padded seat cover of amazon and have the best of both worlds (I'm old and tire easily)

Those folding stools are really popular.  A lot of folks around here have custom/personalized tooled leather seats made for theirs.

Archived