SASS Wire Forum

Used Holsters

Dusty Boots

I’d  appreciate information about fitting revolvers to used holsters. Does it matter if you get  holsters that were used for original model Vaqueros and plan to use them with NM Vaqueros? Also the used holsters were used with 5 1/2 barrels and plan to have 4.62 inch barrels? Can cartridge loops for a  45 lc be snugged up to work with .357/38 cartridges?

DB

I'd wrap the pistols in Saran wrap briefly dip the holsters in warm water and put the pistols in them until they dry completely, they may or may not shrink enough .  The loops can be sown down to fit .38.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Most folks I know don't really use the loops on the gunbelts.  Yeah, it looks cool to have them all filled, I did at first, but it gets dang heavy.

A slide on your shotgun belt for a few rounds for reloads is what I use, and see others using.

i agree on the weight saved is a hip or knee saved , i started with all my loops filled then realized the verdigis is a problem , they dont reload well with the grunge [no time on the clock to clean] i like a couple spares even if i never use them but they are clean when i grab them and the weight saved is minor but every little bit helps and the usable bullets are worth having a slide that you keep fresh , ive found shotgun slides keep me from wearing two belts with that cumbersome setup , 

im not one to talk of recycling holsters but ive found my 38s fit my 45s pretty well as is , i do think the advice given above is sound , ive had good luck fitting 22s that way to loose holsters not that i have a lot - just done one so far , there are fairly cheap options to start with and you  get to learn what you want before you invest in the expensive versions down the road , then you recycle again to use the old n your cart for temp holding as you progress between stages as that weight can make a difference as well in your experience , 

you can buy a decent slide that will serve fairly reasonable and enjoy the belt you have , if it fits well it is worth it to add a cartridge and a shotgun slide that fills your need and saves buying the whole rig , they transfer to other rigs as you go , 

Like Dave said, most people you see with belt loops filled with ammo are either newbies, or they just like looking good more than comfort. :)

I started with loops filled but this was a Mernickle leather rig with 40 loops and they were full of .45's!

Later I started putting a round in every other loop.  Still looked good, but easier.

As I get older, now I carry two rifle rounds in loops.  Sometimes just one.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've jacked out a rifle round and have fingers left over (obviously I'm not shooting fast enough). 

I shoot both .44/45 and .32/38 in rifle so need various size loops.  On my Mernickle belt I just run a rawhide strip up one .45 loop and down the other for about a half-dozen loops.  This holds onto the smaller caliber cartridges fine and is easily removed.

25 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I just run a rawhide strip up one .45 loop and down the other for about a half-dozen loops.  This holds onto the smaller caliber cartridges fine and is easily removed.

^^^This^^^

A leather shoe lace works well for making large caliber loops work with smaller calibers.

What Abilene said for the cartridge loops.

For refitting the holsters, after wetting them (I use rubbing alcohol instead of water because it dries faster), wrap the gun in a plastic baggie and mold the leather to the gun by rubbing it with something like the rounded end of a toothbrush handle.  You can also flare out the entry to make reholstering easier.  After it dries make sure that the fit is what you want or rewet and fix whatever problem you had.  At this point the leather will be stiff from having dried out.

When you are happy with the fit, to keep the rigid shape, put the gun back in a baggie and liberally apply some Minwax Wood Hardner (available at Home Depot).  This will make the leather rock-hard.  You can then polish it with wax for looks if you want.

Archived