Quarantine topic - building out a Ruger 10/22

My 10/22 is all grown up!!

Jasper

Resized_20200505_084915.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jasper Agate said:

My 10/22 is all grown up!!

Jasper

Resized_20200505_084915.jpeg

Aw yea, indeed..... the perfect woods rifle.

I had one a few years back with the shorter style stock (no barrel band).   I don't know why I let it go, but I'm sure it was for a stupid reason... :o

P.S. - nice rifle, Jasper.

..........Widder

10/22's are like race engines. How fast do you want to go, it is all a question of money...… Widder and Eli are showing you some fine examples of high end rifles that are gorgeous. I have built literally dozen's of custom 10/22's over the years and firmly believe that you can build incredible guns on a budget as well. First question I would ask what are you going to shoot? A squirrel gun? A Tack driver? Or a rimfire steel challenge style gun? This will narrow the field of recommended accessories..

I personally keep 2 guns. One with a stock barrel but with Williams Firesights. The Fiber Optics really help with visibility and the different color front and rear make for super fast target acquisition. My second gun I have done a barrel change to a Carbon Fiber bull barrel it is as light as the stock barrel, increases accuracy and heat dissipation and is threaded for a comp or suppressor. On the bull barrel I run a quality red dot optic.

From there both guns wear the same accessories. A drop in Volquartsen trigger kit which replaces the hammer and springs. (Much cheaper alternative than changing the entire trigger group) I also put in a homemade overtravel stop by tapping and threading the back of the trigger guard. I also add an extended mag release and add an extended Charging Handle. Both guns also wear Hogue rubber overmold stocks. These are not the prettiest stock you will ever see not even close, but if you put one in your hands you will understand.

These are also great beginner gunsmith projects as the guns are really easy to assemble and disassemble and my experience with the aftermarket products is the parts fit real well without much need for custom fitting.

Best "bang for the buck":

-Install a Volquartsen Target Hammer (approx $45) to improve trigger

-Install a Volquartsen Extractor ($10) to improve reliability - very important!!

-Install a Vortex Crossfire (or equivalent) Red Dot sight ($150)

A cost effective, reliable, reasonably accurate, fun 10/22.

3 10-22s in hand... bull barrel with thumbhole stock 

one in AR type stock carbon fiber barrel , very fast handing for steel challenge that share our range 

.. a take down I bought yesterday from Big 5 just to wait 15 days to have it . I hope to pick up precision bolt action soon it is in day 15 waiting with SxS shotgun 

what I am looking for stock that looks like a Tommmy gun