SASS Wire Forum

Quarantine topic - building out a Ruger 10/22

Grizzly Dave

Irish Pat's 1911 topic got me to thinking....yes, I know that is dangerous and uncharted territory for me, but here goes.....

Years ago I bought a Ruger 10/22 base model on sale because, I mean everyone has to have one, right?  I've never liked it, wouldn't feed cheap ammo well, felt small and toy like.

I know there are a ton of aftermarket parts for it, so my question to the fire is this.....

What would be the best bang for the buck on a budget to make it into something I would enjoy shooting?

Alternate question would be, if budget was no object, how would you build it?

Have fun, and GO!

My son and I both bought Ruger 10/22 base models. We then decided to upgrade. We ended up with Tactical 10/22's that weighed 27 lbs. where so cumber some that you could not turn around in the living room. They also need four different types of batteries to keep the electronics working.

The end results were:       "We've never liked them, wouldn't feed cheap ammo well, felt large and toy like."

JMHO , Castalia

GD,

You will hit the jackpot with info from a lot of Pards on this one.

As for me, I have 4 (yes, 4) 10/22's all decked out with various custom stuff.

I have a COMPLETE 'KIDD' 10/22.  Check out a website:   coolguyguns.com

I have 2 with KIDD barrels and receivers.

I have 2 with KIDD 1.5 lb triggers and 1 with the KIDD 8 oz trigger.

I have 1 with a FEDDERSON barrel, along with some of the KIDD stuff mentioned.

And I have a FEDDERSON receiver with custom stuff inside and a Ruger medium heavy stainless barrel.

The nicest thing among all those custom items is the KIDD trigger units.   They earn a

'WOW' factor from me.  I really like all their work, but their triggers are really good.

I also have them in various BOYD's laminated stocks.  And one of them is in the

HOGUE overmolded stock.

Without going into detail, feel free to ask if I can be more specific.   OR.... call me:  865 / 696-1996.

BOYDS stock website is:  Boydsgunstocks.com

And don't forget to check out VOLQUARTSEN's 10/22 stuff.   They are a premium company

and in the same league with KIDD products.

I should also mention that FEDDERSON is also a TOP quality company, located about 15

miles from my house.   I use one of their receivers in one of my 10/22's.  

They refer to it as a 'nickeled' receiver.  It IS solid, smooth and pretty.

Quality of work with FEDDERSON, KIDD and VOLQUARTSEN can't be beat.

There are other TOP outfits out there but I don't have any of their products, like Tandemcross.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Factory light trigger & of course a M1 Carbine stock (please forgive the Red Dot)

0824161233.jpg

Shirttail picked one of em up few years back with one a them stocks with a hole in it red white and blue guess it had something to do with the Olympics got one a them Volquartsen composite barrels on it I told her it was the ugliest damn gun I ever saw. She couldn't get her money out of her pocket fast enough to pay fer it.

:P

kR

Started with a used 10/22,replaced the upper, lower,bolt,op rod, trigger group ,buffer pin,barrel and stock.When I finished I had a really nice semi-custom Volquartson rifle and the same used 10/22.

Had lots of fun building it though.

I had a standard model 10/22 that I wanted to upgrade.  There’s a good video series on the Fire Mountain Outdoors YouTube channel that included contact info for a fellow who converted my stock barrel to a sleeved, threaded, fluted bull barrel with a Bentz chamber.  It was less expensive than an aftermarket barrel and less wasteful.  I had already installed a Volquartsen hammer which made a big difference with the trigger pull.  I dropped it into a Magpul X22 stock that I caught on sale.  It’s still light and handy and shoots much better.

Comments on the above pictures:

From top rifle down:

1.  Hogue Overmolded Rubber stock

Ruger barrel cut to 16.25"

FEDDERSON receiver

KIDD bolt, charging handle and trigger system (1.5 lb)

2. Boyd's laminated stock.... Sky Blue with stippled frowned areas and stippled hand grip.

RUGER receiver

KIDD barrel, KIDD bolt, charging handle and trigger system  (1.5 lb)

The KIDD barrel is a stainless barrel set inside a fluted aluminum sleve

3.  Boyd's laminated stock..... Purplish, with grey/black and bluish colors.   Also stippled as #2.

This is a complete KIDD rifle, except for the Ruger magazine.   It has the KIDD 8 oz trigger system.

4.  Boyd's laminated stock..... grey w/thumbhole grip.   There is no stippling on this rifle.

FEDDERSON heavy .920 stainless barrel.

Ruger receiver, Ruger bolt, Ruger trigger system.

NOTE:  the bottom picture shows rifles #2 and #3 above.   The stippling that Boyd's put on their

rifles is excellent.   I wish I had gotten #4 with it also.

So many options, so little money..... :lol:

..........Widder

i currently have three - been others but i still have three - factory stock intentional , M1carine that i rebuilt with an older well worn candidate and a thompson that i recently redid from a nearly new contributor that was fitted with a nice kit that is no longer available i hear , you will have fun with this no matter what you do and yes these are very fun to play with , 

Sporter walnut stock factory gun.  Built 1970.   Has never failed to feed anything that looks like a .22 LR.   Shoots about 1.5 MOA.   Don't need to touch it.  :lol:

Find a 70's or 80's gun.   Worth it.

GJ

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Comments on the above pictures:

From top rifle down:

1.  Hogue Overmolded Rubber stock

Ruger barrel cut to 16.25"

FEDDERSON receiver

KIDD bolt, charging handle and trigger system (1.5 lb)

2. Boyd's laminated stock.... Sky Blue with stippled frowned areas and stippled hand grip.

RUGER receiver

KIDD barrel, KIDD bolt, charging handle and trigger system  (1.5 lb)

The KIDD barrel is a stainless barrel set inside a fluted aluminum sleve

3.  Boyd's laminated stock..... Purplish, with grey/black and bluish colors.   Also stippled as #2.

This is a complete KIDD rifle, except for the Ruger magazine.   It has the KIDD 8 oz trigger system.

4.  Boyd's laminated stock..... grey w/thumbhole grip.   There is no stippling on this rifle.

FEDDERSON heavy .920 stainless barrel.

Ruger receiver, Ruger bolt, Ruger trigger system.

NOTE:  the bottom picture shows rifles #2 and #3 above.   The stippling that Boyd's put on their

rifles is excellent.   I wish I had gotten #4 with it also.

So many options, so little money..... :lol:

..........Widder

Widder, you gonna give away one of them there 1022s instead of a widder soft stroke Henry at this year's TN State match? That's mighty nice of ya!:)

Sorri, TN.

But if you weren't so cheap, you could build yeowndangself one of them.

You need to let loose some of that money you got and start buying some good stuff

and not that cheap stuff.

..........Widder

Any recommendations on a stock that's good for regular flat top rear iron sights. I have one with a red/black laminated stock and even after sanding down the cheek part it's hard to get low enough for an easy sight picture. The height would be fine for a scope or red dot.

Bought mine in 1982,  never liked it and didn't shoot it well.  Put a volq trigger kit in it and nothing else.  Not my favorite gun but I shoot it MUCH better now.   Went ground squirrel shooting today and didn't use the 10/22,  I used my marlin 39 took out several ground squirrels at 125yds.   I love that gun.  Bullett 19707 

Easy solution... pretty easy on the budget too.   Take said ruger to the local toy store, trade it in your preferred. Henry 22, send that off to widder or Sladder and presto fast shooting 22 that  you'll love 

Good topic Griz.  Any time thread leds to a  10/22 , well let's just say that rifle is fine subject matter. Think I will share my story also.  I am not a semi-auto fan at all EXCEPT for, of course, the 10/22.  My story will be about one in particular, but I will also suggest that the only  S-A's I own are two Remington 1100 from my younger days of serious quail & duck hunting, my Dad's old Winchester Model 74, and two 10/22s.  Newer of 10/22 was one Sassy won in a Bar-3 drawing in 2015 that I recently added a 3x9 Bushnell scope so that we could give to grand son ,Grayson, for his ninth birthday last January.

Now about my Deluxe Sporter (121xxx):  In about a three week period around 1st of June in 1968 I graduated from college, bought a home, took state board (yea, I passed) and got married.  Somewhere around this period I also got hired to again get back to an old "moonlighting" job as drummer (you reading this Rye Miles), and in pretty good local C&W band.  (I had been drummer since 1957 but many things interfered with that for making much money.  I look back now and think my stronger desire to hunt affected that a lot  Seems hunting time was also best time for the better money, like for Christmas and New Year jigs.)  Oops I am straying from subject...the band had a three night playing arrangement up in OK for after rodeo dance.  After first night I was already starting to think about where to spend the money.   Third night was even better so off to Pawn shop in Paris and there it was a nice Ruger 10/22 with beautiful checkered walnut Monte Carlo stock.  I mounted a K4 Weaver scope on it and it has been the end of a many a varmint, squirrel, snake, bullfrog, etc.  Due to the "downtime" we are all experiencing I decided to compile a list of guns & knifes that I have and  research the worth of each. (Something I recommend to all so if, as in my case, spouse will know if in time of serious need.)  I could go on and on about some of the interesting things my research revealed about items such as sawback bayonet of WWI, USN KaBar of my Uncles from WWII (Hell's Point, Guadalcanal),   my first big knife (a Uncle Henry with serial #0000X), my Dad's hammer LC Smith, etc.  I knew Ruger did not make a big run on the Monte Carlo stocked  "Deluxe" 10/22 carbines, but what I found was that it seems, perhaps most,  had finger groove stocks.  Mine does not, and whether that increases its value I do not know and actually don't care, but I do enjoy the fact that my 10/22 is pretty unique.  I would love to put some of the exciting add-on to it, but just can not see making it any different than I know that it is, especially to take off the beautiful checkered walnut stock to replace with an aftermarket (even if it was my favored McMillan's).  Now in the future, options may make great gifts for Grayson's first firearm, his 10/22.

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Sorri, TN.

But if you weren't so cheap, you could build yeowndangself one of them.

You need to let loose some of that money you got and start buying some good stuff

and not that cheap stuff.

..........Widder

If someone was to rob me, they'd just be practicing.

Upgrade the trigger, change out the barrel and invest in a good optic (2X7 Leopold).  That's all I did to mine and its a tack driver with Stingers!  I put a sling on it also....

image.jpeg.724545119fa415d13dfa4ea4d3f9e31d.jpeg

I'm pretty close to getting these A-Team stocks for both my Mini-14 and 10/22.  The only thing stopping me is that both of my rifles are blued and I'm considering buying stainless versions to put into the stocks to complete the look. 

With the 10/22 you also need a flash suppressor and top hand guard.  I'm still not sure if those come with the stock from sampson.  I sent them an email asking and they only answered about half of my questions. 

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

OK Widder you got me thinkin.  IF you only could do one and had a stock, where would you go from there?

kR

Good question.... and tough to answer, almost.

Until someone convinces me that they can make better stuff than KIDD, I would probably

stick with KIDD, especially their trigger modules. 

I think FEDDERSON might have the edge on the receiver because they have the picatinny rail

built into the receiver and their nickeled receivers are SUPER smooth....BUT on the other hand,

KIDD has a 'groove' built into their receivers

for their proprietary rails, which you can buy with your preferred 0, 20, 30, etc... MOA, which

is probably one of the best things they do.

I also like KIDD barrel options.  I'm not sure if they make a 'carbon fiber' barrel like Volquartsen,

but they make some light weight barrels with aluminum sleeves.

BUT..... I would probably opt for their solid heavy target barrels if I were to get another one.

If you order a KIDD receiver and barrel assembly, they don't just slide a barrel into the receiver.

Their receiver area is heated and the barrel chambered area is pushed into the receiver for a 

really snug fit.  

I also really like the KIDD bolts.

Workmanship on all their parts is really professional.

I've owned some Volquartsen 10/22 custom rifles.   I like their carbon fiber barrels a lot.

But their trigger modules are not even close to KIDD's trigger units.

And don't get me wrong..... I really like Volquartsen stuff.   At present, I have a 4.5" Scorpion and

I'm presently building a 6" Scorpion.  Parts are all ordered but they ain't arrived yet.

My opinion, the Volquartsen Scorpion pistols (or your Ruger customized with Volq parts)

is the finest .22 pistol there is.    And I also own Browning Buckmarks and a S&W model 41.

If ya wanna give me a shout....  865 / 696-1996

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My opinion, the Volquartsen Scorpion pistols (or your Ruger customized with Volq parts)

is the finest .22 pistol there is.

I'll second that!  And the MK IV Ruger pistol is a God-send for folks who are slightly mechanically challenged, as the receiver to frame assembly is just about impossible to screw up.

Just dropping in the Volquartsen fire control parts reduced the factory trigger pull on a new Mk IV from 4# 6oz to ....  1# 13oz  !

Good luck, GJ

Kaya's first gun was a 10-22. I painted an old wood stock sky blue with lavender tiger stripes. I'd be glad to do that for you gents. I'm sure I still have the rattle cans somewhere. :D

I wish I would have got her a single shot instead. The semi auto is a money hose!

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Or just go over the top.

FB_IMG_1586607400043.jpg

That is pretty over the top for sure, but nice.  I am hoping my friend Kelly will send me one of his company's stocks for Grayson's 10/22.  They sure make some super stocks, and often colorful (McMillan Fiberglass Stocks).

• 4 weeks later...

VOLQUARTSEN parts: +1

My 10/22s prefer copper plated bullets.  Ruger's extended magazines are more reliable than the aftermarket magazines I bought before Ruger's extended magazines were available.

I used to shoot 10/22s in rimfire challenge matches before they ended locally.  Much fun!

Archived