SASS Wire Forum

Old Tucson Saddlery? They still around?

Cholla

I have a person asking me about the Old Tucson Saddlery. I imagine it is or was located in the Old Tucson Studios. Are they still around?

I found my answer. No. It was operated by Big Ed Douglas of San Pedro Saddlery. It only lasts a few years.

I just ran across a pair of revise draw black holsters and belt made by him.  Looks used very little.  Fits my Navies like a glove.  Outstanding workmanship but he overloaded his but on what he could produce.

2 hours ago, Buckeye Pete, SASS # 29941 said:

I'm still waiting on a holster from "Big Ed", been about 15 years now since I placed the order and he charged my credit card.  Maybe next year....

Buckeye Pete

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic. I know many folks lost money to Big Ed, but from everything I can find he died a few years ago so I'm going out on a limb and say you're never going to get your holster this side of the pearly gates.  

22 hours ago, Cholla said:

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic. I know many folks lost money to Big Ed, but from everything I can find he died a few years ago so I'm going out on a limb and say you're never going to get your holster this side of the pearly gates.  

Cholla,

Yes I had the "sarcastic" button pressed when I submitted the above reply.  As for ever receiving the holster that I paid for from Big Ed, even though I'm an optimist,  I think it is a safe bet that I won't.

Buckeye Pete

Wow, so with no regard to the history of bad health and economic down turn he had, you decide that you can’t get over it. I met the man twice when visiting my folks in Green Valley AZ, once in Tombstone where I ordered and paid for up front 2 holsters in a Duke style for my son’s 2 Colt Nebraska commemorative Pistols, which I received and my son loved. Then about a few years later when again visiting my folks and going again to Old Tucson studios, love walking the same ground as the Duke, my family and I walked into a leather shop and there he was all 6’,3-4” of him!  Believe me when I say Big Ed was big. And at 6’1”, I am not small myself. He kept trying to do what he could with his health issues costing more than he could earn and still take care of his family.  He tried to make amends, tried to catch up but ended up dying before he could. He needed the upfront deposits to buy materials and pay for the shop costs.  
So Buckeye Pete, you were one of the ones that lost out and for that I am sorry. But he did a lot of good work for others as well, and like right now, sometimes you can’t control the situation. He died, let it go, it’s not like he is living off of your deposit, if he was, I would be right there with you, but he had worse luck, didn’t he?

10 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wow, so with no regard to the history of bad health and economic down turn he had, you decide that you can’t get over it. I met the man twice when visiting my folks in Green Valley AZ, once in Tombstone where I ordered and paid for up front 2 holsters in a Duke style for my son’s 2 Colt Nebraska commemorative Pistols, which I received and my son loved. Then about a few years later when again visiting my folks and going again to Old Tucson studios, love walking the same ground as the Duke, my family and I walked into a leather shop and there he was all 6’,3-4” of him!  Believe me when I say Big Ed was big. And at 6’1”, I am not small myself. He kept trying to do what he could with his health issues costing more than he could earn and still take care of his family.  He tried to make amends, tried to catch up but ended up dying before he could. He needed the upfront deposits to buy materials and pay for the shop costs.  
So Buckeye Pete, you were one of the ones that lost out and for that I am sorry. But he did a lot of good work for others as well, and like right now, sometimes you can’t control the situation. He died, let it go, it’s not like he is living off of your deposit, if he was, I would be right there with you, but he had worse luck, didn’t he?

Nimble Fingers,

Bid Ed did some very nice leather work.  I still have several of his holsters and a gunbelt, all of which were well made and durable.  My initial comment to the original post was to provide insight and suggest caution when ordering from Big Ed due to my experience.  I had heard rumor that he had passed, but now you have confirmed that fact.  BTW, I have "let it go".

Buckeye Pete

My apologies as to you not knowing about his passing. It was a long time ago and it did get a lot of coverage here on the wire.  Still I shouldn’t have made an assumption that you were “beating a dead horse” no pun intended. 

This is a picture of a San Pedro Saddlery holster for Colt Single Action that I acquired from Big Ed years ago.

reading this thread made me regreat his passing . I have turned down efforts to buy this holster with matching belt

but have no desire to let it go. 

D15ADD96-0DAB-4A74-A891-96A6DA42B5BD.jpeg

Archived