SASS Wire Forum

POLICE CLOSED MY RANGE

Just got a notification from my gun club that the local PD paid a visit yesterday, and informed them that, per our Governor's mandatory closure order (which does NOT treat gun related businesses as "necessary") our ranges are now closed.

One less thing to do. Dang.  :(

LL

Our gun club cancelled the monthly meeting.  Our cowboy action shooting committee decided to cancel the April match. But range is still open.  We have 80 acres with several big ponds stocked with fish.  Mushroom hunting, youth turkey hunting will start soon.

37 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

unConstitutional!  If this a Republic we live in or a Communist State?

I thought this became clear with the first stay at home order

51 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I thought this became clear with the first stay at home order

Strange that no court agrees with that 

All our ranges, including the outdoor ones, are closed here in Ontario Canada as well.

Bummer2

Perhaps we'll see and upsurge in the sale of those CO SAA's and lever guns.???

I was going to try the old SPEER plastic bullets, powered by the primer, then thought about the reaction of SWMBO and re-considered.

Thought about the rear deck, but the serving LEO behind me gave me "The Look" and said he wasn't coming to the door to have coffee if I pinned a target to our fence and started practicing with my .45's . Likewise about the side facing the creek and wetland area.

Seems he was concerned about cars on the road before the creek and the start of the wetlands. I told him I'd watch for cars.

Still shook his head.

Dang spoil-sport.

27 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

My range is open. If you live in Mass. y'all are close to a commie state.

Well, not really.  We have some twisted rules about guns, but far, far from "commie".  More like "mommie"...state.

LL

59 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Strange that no court agrees with that 

Courts are never gonna agree with that because all the higher ones are ran by a bunch of old farts. 

Funny, when it comes to sending young people off to war the geezers in our government never have a problem. They say it’s a necessary thing we have to do to secure our freedoms. 

Now that the shoe is on the other foot where this virus primarily targets older folks they want to shut down the whole country to protect themselves. 

Many things that these these youths gave their lives for are being taken away from us. Things like the right to assemble, right to work, and this week, denying people the right to gather and worship. Our governor won’t even allow parking lot services. Said that would let too many people out and about. 

I better stop stop at this point before I tell you all what I really think about this crap

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Uh.....it's Massachusetts...any other questions?

LL

Yes.  Why don't the silent majority do something about it?

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yes.  Why don't the silent majority do something about it?

Because in MA, CT, etc, we AREN'T  the silent majority.  We may be a vocal minority, but we are still a minority of voters

Just now, Chantry said:

Because in MA, CT, etc, we AREN'T  the silent majority.  We may be a vocal minority, but we are still a minority of voters

Then use their tactic against them by joining their platform (running for office) and then slowly change the liberals ways from within?

22 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Then use their tactic against them by joining their platform (running for office) and then slowly change the liberals ways from within?

Not in CT, the rot is too established and I lack the patience to deal with professional politicians, even the part time ones we have in CT (the CT legislature is only in session part of the year and is paid $28,000), I would end up getting arrested.

On edit:  The established Democrats will not allow people to leave the herd, anybody who attempts to will be primaried with the full support the state Democratic Party.   Pretty much the same way as at the federal level.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

MD, great answer. Infiltrate, divide and conquer!

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeah; you can still walk and fish; no shooting.

LL

Nope. Can't fish here. They closed all the roads to the largest man made lake in the US!

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Mushroom hunting, youth turkey hunting will start soon.

What firearm do ya'll recommend for mushrooms? Me, I think a 12 gauge might be sufficient.:lol:

Also, why are you hunting those young turkeys? Respecting the elders?

Working From With-in can be a very tough Job ... Even in Local Governance .

I found that the Left leaning types tend to want to tell others how to live and the longer they stay in power the greater this desire grows ...

They tend to be about Controlling Others  Rights  and less about doing what is for the public good ...

The Right Leaning Types find it hard to work in the system that isn't as much about fixing the Problems and being less intrusive of Personal rights, and they tend to want to get it done ... They find Compromise a less the stellar idea and hold to the idea that there are absolutes and Not everything is up for Grabs ... They tend toward personal rights and responsibility of individuals and tend to conduct themselves with the idea that laws and rules should encroach as little as possible on Personal lives , but that All Shall be governed by the same rule ...

They tend to as a whole to believe In Facts and Logic whereas the left deals in Emotion and Fairy Dust ....

The left also tends to believe that lies are a part of Governance...

Jabez Cowboy     

I LOVE IDAHO!!!   :D

When I was an investment banker with a few rare specialties, I adamantly refused toravel to Massachusetts, New York and their ilk. It never really cost me anything! 
;)

5 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

unConstitutional!  If this a Republic we live in or a Communist State?

You have a Constitutional right to travel, too, and to assemble, and to do a lot of other things. It's an emergency. Executive power, especially gubernatorial, to restrict certain rights during an emergency is as old as the Republic. Use of public shooting ranges is totally separate from owning, keeping, and bearing arms.

Closure of indoor ranges was a forgone conclusion. Our outdoor range closed by order of the club board at the outset of the 'shutdown', because it is impossible to avoid density and congregation; especially when it coincided with the return of good weather. They are working on a plan of opening with some restrictions when it becomes possible.

1 minute ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

... It's an emergency. Executive power, especially gubernatorial, to restrict certain rights during an emergency is as old as the Republic. ...

The U. S. Constitution only applies during non-emergencies ?  

Just now, Matthew Duncan said:

The U. S. Constitution only applies during non-emergencies ?  

Can you travel where you want? Can you get together with all the people you want to? Those are all constitutional rights. Every one of these restrictions impacts constitutional rights. Are they unlawful?

We have 24 bays not counting long range. I seriously doubt our range will shut down. The cops are over there shooting too. 

I can shoot at my own range, behind the barn. Yes, if the weather is nice we will be shooting CAS on the 3rd Saturday.

I don't know what the situation may be in the rural ranges in this State. 

The outdoor range I mostly use is the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club range. It's been around well over a century, and while it's big (about 70 acres) and has pistol, rifle, small bore, air, and archery ranges, it's in the middle of a fully-developed, relatively dense, suburban community. The ranges themselves are relatively concentrated given the size of the property, which is backed by a huge ridge and extensive woodlands. It would be accurate to call it an urban outdoor range.

Access is by single gate and road. You could presumably skip stations and otherwise keep spacing on the ranges themselves, but congregations of people would be impossible to avoid at access points, parking lots, etc. It would be a huge administrative problem. The board wasn't told to shut down, it did it to comply with the overall general directives, and it seemed totally reasonable to me under the circumstances.

Just as a matter of incidental interest, the Club was involved in litigation 50 years ago, as the suburbanites tried to close down the range, which had gone over the decades from remote rural to fully-developed suburb. The Club won the lawsuits, and for decades now has had very good relations with the community, which it works hard to maintain.

44 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don't know what the situation may be in the rural ranges in this State. 

The outdoor range I mostly use is the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club range. It's been around well over a century, and while it's big (about 70 acres) and has pistol, rifle, small bore, air, and archery ranges, it's in the middle of a fully-developed, relatively dense, suburban community. The ranges themselves are relatively concentrated given the size of the property, which is backed by a huge ridge and extensive woodlands. It would be accurate to call it an urban outdoor range.

Access is by single gate and road. You could presumably skip stations and otherwise keep spacing on the ranges themselves, but congregations of people would be impossible to avoid at access points, parking lots, etc. It would be a huge administrative problem. The board wasn't told to shut down, it did it to comply with the overall general directives, and it seemed totally reasonable to me under the circumstances.

Just as a matter of incidental interest, the Club was involved in litigation 50 years ago, as the suburbanites tried to close down the range, which had gone over the decades from remote rural to fully-developed suburb. The Club won the lawsuits, and for decades now has had very good relations with the community, which it works hard to maintain.

Ask Loophole how many acres his range is on.

kR

Not only are the ranges open around here, there was a CAS shoot March 21st and there is another one scheduled for this Saturday. I skipped the one three weeks ago, and I'll probably skip this Saturday too. I've become too accustomed to being alive over the past 65 years to take chances. 

Besides, I can just slide the patio door open and shoot a match from my Lazy Boy. ;)

20200408_153431.jpg

36 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Not only are the ranges open around here, there was a CAS shoot March 21st and there is another one scheduled for this Saturday. I skipped the one three weeks ago, and I'll probably skip this Saturday too. I've become too accustomed to being alive over the past 65 years to take chances. 

Besides, I can just slide the patio door open and shoot a match from my Lazy Boy. ;)

20200408_153431.jpg

If anyone around me was holding matches, I would be attending. The LEO’s may show up and ask us to leave, but the last thing they are gonna do is arrest someone. Our governor just turned another 900 incarcerated people loose. 

Archived