SASS Wire Forum

Grocery store shelves back to normal.

Went into town for my weekly grocery run, there were no noticeable shortages.  Meat and produce counter full, lots of toilet paper, kleenex and paper towels.  The only thing different was that the cashiers are behind plexi glass on the customer side and solid barrier behind each cashier, and signs all over the store warning people to keep the 6' distance.  Floor leading to the check out counters are marked at 6' intervals and you can only go to the counter when the previous customer has left, then the clerk wipes everything down and then calls you forward.  Main street looks like 5:00 am on a Sunday morning.  

Just got word that the Alberta Black Powder Association has cancelled all shoots for 2020.  I expect the Alberta Frontier Shootist Society will follow suit.  Some ranges have closed down. 

Interesting times.

Sorry to hear your ranges are closing down. :(

In my area there are still shortages but we aren’t hurting for anything. 

Went to the grocery on Sunday.  The meat section was all but cleaned out!!  The rest of the paper goods were there, except for toilet paper.  I could see trailers backed into the docks.  It was early on Sunday morning, so I figure that when the stocking personnel arrived, they probably refilled the shelves.

Schoolmarm bought an 18 roll pack of TP just as the weirdness began and has since bought another nine pack.  Three and sometimes four of us.  I don't think we're hoarding anything, but we ARE well supplied.

Glad to hear you have supplies.  A lot of things are still scarce here.  I have not been able to find any papertowels for a couple of weeks now.  We aren't completely out but we have begun our own internal rationing.

I think it all depends on what time you go and what store you choose. 

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Schoolmarm bought an 18 roll pack of TP just as the weirdness began and has since bought another nine pack.  Three and sometimes four of us.  I don't think we're hoarding anything, but we ARE well supplied.

We started on an 8 roll pack back in the winter. Still have 4 and most of the 5'th.  Just the two of us. We have not bought any.  The store's were stripped initially but has had some with limits sense.  Still people are hoarding TP.  On our last supply trip, I watched an old guy come out of ALDI with a jumbo pack and toss it in the back of his van where there was already a jumbo package.   He went back for triple dip. What insanity to go into a crowded store to stand in a line for poo paper!

In Connecticut there is still no toilet paper, paper towels or tissues to be found.  I hit 5 stores in the space of 3 days and those shelves were bare.  The same probably applies to rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizers and some cleaning supplies.  Just about everything else I normally buy is in stock, although not to the same degree as pre-Covid-19.

On edit:  I have co-workers in Phoenix and one said there is no no toilet paper, paper towels, tissues or fresh meats to be found anywhere.

Still shortages here.  I ventured out today, thinking I'd be more likely to find what I needed the day the weekly specials come out.  Nope.  There were paper towels, but in huge packages & I don't need that; the only pork roasts were preseasoned & I like to do my own cooking; the meat counter was otherwise pretty bare.  Chicken was available but I still have some in the freezer.  No alcohol or peroxide in sight.  I understand the wal-marts of the world have been told to quit selling nonessentials.  They day they declare cat litter nonessential is the day they're gonna have to deal with me.

3 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Still shortages here.  I ventured out today, thinking I'd be more likely to find what I needed the day the weekly specials come out.  Nope.  There were paper towels, but in huge packages & I don't need that; the only pork roasts were preseasoned & I like to do my own cooking; the meat counter was otherwise pretty bare.  Chicken was available but I still have some in the freezer.  No alcohol or peroxide in sight.  I understand the wal-marts of the world have been told to quit selling nonessentials.  They day they declare cat litter nonessential is the day they're gonna have to deal with me.

If you have a Tractor Supply near by, get your litter there.  I use their Horse Bedding Pellets.  I smells the same as pine scented pellet cat litter for a fraction of the cost.  My fussy little girl likes it a lot.

4 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

If you have a Tractor Supply near by, get your litter there.  I use their Horse Bedding Pellets.  I smells the same as pine scented pellet cat litter for a fraction of the cost.  My fussy little girl likes it a lot.

If they have any stove pellets left in stock grab some ~ in my experience works a bit better.  :)

Kris, I do use Tractor Supply horse bedding and agree with every word you said.

Hardpan: in what way do you find stove pellets superior?  My kittehs are (after a transition period) happy with horse bedding; the only issue I have is one of them doesn't cover poop, so I need to get it outta there pretty quick.  It takes care of pee & its odor.  AND it's biodegradable and weighs next to nothing once peed upon.

12 hours ago, MizPete said:

Went early to Harris-Teeter and Publix on South Blvd yesterday. I was hoping for some nice steaks but pickings were slim. No TP at either one  but my sister in law went back to Publix in the afternoon and got some. I was thinking of going back for a few things this morning but it’s raining and I might melt. Mebbe I’ll go back to bed and dream of the day we can go back home.

7 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

There are still a lot of shortages in Southern Colorado.  I'm not sure why -- it's not like people are eating more.

Still no cases in Dolores County. From what my friends tell me things are pretty normal there except for meetings and various events being cancelled.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Still no cases in Dolores County. From what my friends tell me things are pretty normal there except for meetings and various events being cancelled.

Delores County has more cattle than people!  Unfortunately, my job puts me in a place where I have to work in an urban center.  But on the flip side, I live 40 miles away in the country.  Maybe in a few years I'll be joining you out there.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:27 AM, Calamity Kris said:

Glad to hear you have supplies.  A lot of things are still scarce here.  I have not been able to find any papertowels for a couple of weeks now.  We aren't completely out but we have begun our own internal rationing.

Well, now I got REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY lucky today.  I've been battling a sore throat all morning so I left the asylum early to go home and rest in an effort to try and beat this thing.  On my way home, I have to pass by BJs.  I thought I would give it a try to see if I can get some paper towels, the only thing we are really low on.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, I saw folks exiting the store with packages of paper towels.  SCORE!!!  I grabbed my allotment of one and a couple of other things and headed home.  As Uno said when I walked in the door, "We're in fat city now"!!!

On 4/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Went to the grocery on Sunday.  The meat section was all but cleaned out!!  The rest of the paper goods were there, except for toilet paper.  I could see trailers backed into the docks.  It was early on Sunday morning, so I figure that when the stocking personnel arrived, they probably refilled the shelves.

Maybe she thinks you are full of it, Backwater. :lol:

Just got back from a beer and ice cream run (plus they had Easter ham on sale).  Sawmill Mary said there was a limit on some thing but available.   She did get a 4 pack of TP (they had larger sizes - all one per customer) because our older son has had problems finding TP. What she found stange were the eggs.   Normally at Easter,  eggs are plentiful and cheap.  But thise were one per customer and high. 

I am very disappointed about shutting down the BP matches in Alberta. I love firing my gunfighter revolvers loaded with warthog loads of Holy black My other matches in Saskatchawan, Manitoba and British Columbia have also been cancelled. Even my local clu in Montana cancelled our April match.

IMHO, my warthog loads of holy black are healthy, They kill viruses, bacteria and liberals.  :)

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Mebbe I’ll go back to bed and dream of the day we can go back home.

I can imagine how difficult your time here is being.  Hoping for the best for you and Carol.  In better circumstances, I'd love to offer hospitality.

14 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I am very disappointed about shutting down the BP matches in Alberta. I love firing my gunfighter revolvers loaded with warthog loads of Holy black My other matches in Saskatchawan, Manitoba and British Columbia have also been cancelled. Even my local clu in Montana cancelled our April match.

IMHO, my warthog loads of holy black are healthy, They kill viruses, bacteria and liberals.  :)

The black powder association I was referring to was the Muzzle loaders.  The Alberta Shootist Association (cowboy) haven't announced their decision yet but, I expect they will also shut down the 2020 shoots.  Some ranges are also shutting down  I'm 78 this year and cannot afford to miss a year of shooting.  Oh well, family is still healthy.

As the Queen said in her message to the Commonwealth the other day,  "We will meet again." Not sure when, soon I hope.

Archived