SASS Wire Forum

How do you shoot your Mares Leg?

Too all you folks out there who have a Mares Leg pistol, how do you shoot the thing?   Do you hold it up with two hands approximately where it would be if it were a real rifle?  Do you actually shoulder the thing?  Do you after cocking it hold it at arms length one handed like a pistol?  Or do you do something else?

And just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to spin cock it while empty at home just to see if you could?

Actually, that last question is not intended to be serious, but I AM curious about how folks shoot these things.  The only one I've ever seen fired was not based on a 92, but was AWA's Lightning Bolt and the guy who had it was hip shooting it.   I thought that was kinda counterproductive cuz he usually missed.

Never owned one and don't care to.  It was a great gimmick for Josh Randall, but never could see how practical it would be.  You might get a bit more MV from the longer barrel, but I doubt it would hold more than five .44-40 rounds in the magazine, plus one in the chamber...maybe. How that would be an advantage over a 7-1/2" Colt's Frontier Six Shooter, I don't know.   Unless you hold it with two hands, the Mare's Leg would be tougher to cock than a revolver.  As I said, I can't see the practicality....  But, as I also said, I never owned or tried one... :unsure:

Oxymoron.  Had I a Mare, I certainly wouldn't want to shoot her inna leg.  Had a Gelding oncest.  Mean bugger he was.  Wouldn't shoot him either.  Harumpff.  :ph34r:

PLUS ONE too Trailrider 896

On the TV show, Josh carries a round in the chamber and when drawing and shooting quickly, he fans the first round, and then uses the lever to reload.  Of course, that's on TV although I read something many years ago that said McQueen practiced quite a bit and became proficient with it.

I like the idea, but I also like my Ruger Charger.  I shoot the Charger with two hands and the stock touching my cheek.  Not a problem with the .22LR.

The Henry .22 WMR has my attention.  No cylinder gap and a cool round.

I have 2 of them, 1 92 in 45 Colt, and 1 Chiappa 12 ga.  Love them both

I do living History and gunfights with a group called The Southfork Regulators and all my pards in the group want to use them in our skits

1 hour ago, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

I have 2 of them, 1 92 in 45 Colt, and 1 Chiappa 12 ga.  Love them both

I do living History and gunfights with a group called The Southfork Regulators and all my pards in the group want to use them in our skits

Okay.   So, how do you shoot them?

I have the Chiappa 12 gauge by the way, but have not fired it yet.

Archived