SASS Wire Forum

My answer to the glock vs 1911 question

Trigger Mike

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

So what's your point?:D

As others have said, I've shot a Glock, the 1911 fits me better, as does the SAA. As a side note, I don't like plastic guns, but if that's what YOU like, I'll not disparage you for it.

Uhmmm... I'll let you know when I figure it out!

I was one of those who said the 1911 fits me better! Chances are, if I didn't like wood and blued steel (or stainless) most, I wouldn't belong to this forum. I don't mind polymer guns, I like my Beretta PX-4 Storm, and if I didn't have other financial priorities, I would have one of their PX-4 Compact Carry models. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Well, I think all yall are wrong. I like revolvers more better:P

You know, we'd believe that if you hadn't been telling so many other lies of late :P

My experience with Glock is same as Doc Ward , ergonomics wrong for me. I have owned other striker-fired pistols , Springfield , S&W M&P 4' and 5" , and they worked fine. But none of them live here any more. The Gold Cup that pre-dates all of them is still here. None of them were self defense designated. Were for 3-Gun and IDPA.

I do have friends that shoot Glocks.:lol:

Rex , who prefers 1911 , N and K frames , and Ruger Single Actions. :D

I've noticed that there are lots of glock owners who want a sig but settle for the glock because it is cheaper,  not realizing that you get what you pay for.   When I carried the colt double eagle I could qualify but had to focus.   I bought a sig p220 and went to qualify and didn't even have to try.  It was like the twilight zone episode #3 in season one where a peddler gave a colt saa to the town drunk and he would hit without even knowing he was going to shoot.   Sig is just that good. 

7 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've noticed that there are lots of glock owners who want a sig but settle for the glock because it is cheaper,  not realizing that you get what you pay for.   When I carried the colt double eagle I could qualify but had to focus.   I bought a sig p220 and went to qualify and didn't even have to try.  It was like the twilight zone episode #3 in season one where a peddler gave a colt saa to the town drunk and he would hit without even knowing he was going to shoot.   Sig is just that good. 

I'll have to look for that episode. Sounds like a good one. 

I know what you mean about the not having to try thing. I run the plate rack quicker with my smith 327 trr8 than I do with my sti 2011 limited pistol. It's weird.

13 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Sig Sauer is a whole 'nuther story. Incredible guns in my experience.  I love 'em. But i got started on Glock in 1990 and just can't divorce what's been a good shootin' partner all these years.

That said, a Sig P220 Scorpion is on my short list.

:D

54 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Well, I think all yall are wrong. I like revolvers more better:P

The ONLY handgun I have kept over all these years of owning/shooting/buying/selling handguns is the first handgun I bought when I turned 21. A Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" 44 mag. Nostalgia? Oh yeah. Added more Rugers to my collection over the years and never regretted any of those purchases.  Everything else eventually gets traded or sold. Well, except my current Glock (s). ;)

Shoulda never sold that Smith model 19 back in 1993. :(

26 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I had a Kimber Micro and a SIG P938 side by side comparison. While there are essentially the same in size, ergonomics and function, I was able to shoot the SIG much more effectively. It surprised me.

I sold the Kimber.

4 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Shoulda never sold that Smith model 19 back in 1993. :(

You and me both. Best pistol I ever had.  :(

I like both of them.  I have two 1911’s and a Glock .45.  They all shoot good.  I also have a 6” Model 66 Smith & Wesson that I carried at one time as a duty weapon. 

This is like the Ginger/Mary Ann argument. Each side has their proponents and it seems to me that arguing that their preference is best over someone else's is just silly and presumptuous. In America, everyone has the right to make their own decisions. I've never held a Glock, but I do have two S&W Shield pistols I really like. I also have a Ruger 1911, a Baby Rock and a Springfield 911. If you choose something else and it trips your trigger (pun intended), I respect your right to pursue what interests you. What's important is just plain having a gun. Brand, caliber, price or whatever only makes for endless conversation. I have more issues with the anti-Liberty crowd. 

44 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had a Kimber Micro and a SIG P938 side by side comparison. While there are essentially the same in size, ergonomics and function, I was able to shoot the SIG much more effectively. It surprised me.

I sold the Kimber.

I've decided that the only kimber worth the price is the used k6s I bought.   The 1911 is ok, but I had a pro carry ii compact that would jam after a couple of hundred rounds.   Sig just plain knows how to get it done right.  I had taken my 938 and put it up a while and carried the ruger lcp 22 for snakes put I decided yesterday that I don't like it that it automatically goes on safe when you chamber a round so I put it up.  I think I will put the 938 back on.  

25 minutes ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

I like both of them.  I have two 1911’s and a Glock .45.  They all shoot good.  I also have a 6” Model 66 Smith & Wesson that I carried at one time as a duty weapon. 

Us ole wheel gun law dawgs is gettin scarce. ;)

FWIW - I started with the 1911 in 1973, and have always owned and carried one in either Gov't or Offficer's configuration, in .45ACP.

I bought and trained with a G19 when they were first introduced in the late 80's.  It was a good gun, but the trigger never did much for me.

Fast forward to the near present, and I've gone through several Hi-Powers, a Kahr K9, the PPk, and now my EDC is a G43.

I've also given up on the 1911 in .45 ACP, and have replaced it with a Gov't mdl in 9MM, which is so much nicer to shoot for

longer days.  If I had to abandon the Glock I'd probably carry the 1911, but I think I'd look for an alloy framed version.

Bottom line - my back isn't up to carrying 3-5 lbs of additional weight on the belt, so Tactical Tupperware had to come to the rescue.

Fortunately Glocks like AR's are basically legos these days, so improving the sights and trigger on the G43 were not a problem.

Glock's aren't bad, and more than the AR is bad compared to the M1 or M14, just different.  Horses for courses.

SC

John Browning did not invent the double stack magazine. I have a savage 1915 in .380 that has one. I have shot Glocks, don't own one, just didn't feel right. I do love my Browning Hi-Powers for 9mm and my 1911's for 45. Kinda fond of my 3 Tanfoglio's in 9mm and 40 S&W also.

21 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

John Browning did not invent the double stack magazine. I have a savage 1915 in .380 that has one. I have shot Glocks, don't own one, just didn't feel right. I do love my Browning Hi-Powers for 9mm and my 1911's for 45. Kinda fond of my 3 Tanfoglio's in 9mm and 40 S&W also.

No, he didn't, but the first common use was arguably in the Hi-Power? I suppose, technically, the first staggered stack magazine, although it was a fixed magazine fed through stripper clips, might be the C96 Broomhandle Mauser.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Us ole wheel gun law dawgs is gettin scarce. ;)

I believe out of 16 people in my department, I'm the only one who owns revolvers.  I still shoot one in competition, and carry one occasionally...but not on duty.  Current policy doesn't recognize them for duty weapons...back up or off duty only.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I will  respectfully disagree. I buy Glocks because I get what I pay for. Reliability. Now, I would love  to have a Sig Sauer and I could  definitely buy one...or several, but  I have found what works for me and I wholeheartedly trust my Glocks, my  S&W revolvers and my Ruger single actions.

All:

The biggest complaint I  have heard from people  regarding Glocks  is  the grip angle. It works for me, but it sure doesn't work  for everyone. For me, the Glock (regardless of model)  is almost like a "point and click" move. I am positive that if  the sights fell off any of my Glocks I could still  perforate the hell out of a  silhouette target at 10 yards with no problem. I cannot say that about other guns I have fired. 

If everyone was  the same we wouldn't need all these variations. I am glad we have variety. 

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I buy Glocks because I get what I pay for. Reliability.

This ^

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will  respectfully disagree. I buy Glocks because I get what I pay for. Reliability. Now, I would love  to have a Sig Sauer and I could  definitely buy one...or several, but  I have found what works for me and I wholeheartedly trust my Glocks, my  S&W revolvers and my Ruger single actions.

All:

The biggest complaint I  have heard from people  regarding Glocks  is  the grip angle. It works for me, but it sure doesn't work  for everyone. For me, the Glock (regardless of model)  is almost like a "point and click" move. I am positive that if  the sights fell off any of my Glocks I could still  perforate the hell out of a  silhouette target at 10 yards with no problem. I cannot say that about other guns I have fired. 

If everyone was  the same we wouldn't need all these variations. I am glad we have variety. 

Oh, sure. I'll bet you'd have wanted your Model T in something other than black too! :lol:

I have every confidence in the firearms I do own to be reliable for me. If I didn't, I wouldn't own them. Which is also why I won't ever try to talk anyone else out of a Glock, and if one meets a person's personal criteria, will make sure they take a look at one.

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Sig p220. I bought one in 1995 and carried it into combat numerous times. Never did use it, but certainly felt I could trust my life to it if I needed it. Can't say that for a lot of guns. Though hind sight being what it is, I would have purchased that Colt SAA instead just so I could tell stories about carrying one into combat.

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I think it's pretty simple really. Amateurs prefer Glocks and those with experience prefer 1911's. That should finally settle the debate once for all I'm sure.

I think you are wrong...That should finally settle the debate once for all I'm sure. :P

Years before the Hi-Power. Even JMB copied others good ideas, not just Gaston.

Advertised with the slogan "Ten shots quick!", the Model 1907 was very popular because, despite its small size, it had a 10-round double-stack magazine. The advertising included a number of early celebrity endorsers, including William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Bat Masterson, and the Pinkerton Agency. Savage Arms also presented Teddy Roosevelt with a Model 1907. Much of the advertising in the popular press played on the ability of an otherwise defenseless woman to use the Savage to subdue burglars and "tramps".

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think you are wrong...That should finally settle the debate once for all I'm sure. :P

No that can't be it. I thought I was wrong once, but turns out I was mistaken

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I think it's pretty simple really. Amateurs prefer Glocks and those with experience prefer 1911's. That should finally settle the debate once for all I'm sure.

As a survivor of 2 gunfights, and a multi-class alumni of Gunsite.

I do not consider myownself a "amateur".

I choose to carry a Glock 19gen5(BTW, you can't even buy that in PRK).:rolleyes:

That Glock fits my hands better than the Sig, and lighter than my H&K usp compac.

It's very easy to conceal in summer clothes. With a spare G17 mag I have 33rnds on me.

YMMV,

OLG 

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As a survivor of 2 gunfights, and a multi-class alumni of Gunsite.

I do not consider myownself a "amateur".

I choose to carry a Glock 19gen5(BTW, you can't even buy that in PRK).:rolleyes:

That Glock fits my hands better than the Sig, and lighter than my H&K usp compac.

It's very easy to conceal in summer clothes. With a spare G17 mag I have 33rnds on me.

YMMV,

OLG 

I’m surprised you managed to survive two gunfights if you need to have 33 rounds on you. I would definitely call that amateurish. :P

Full disclosure, I’m only picking on you because I know you’ve got kids that are “brothers” of mine 

6 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’m surprised you managed to survive two gunfights if you need to have 33 rounds on you. I would definitely call that amateurish. :P

Full disclosure, I’m only picking on you because I know you’ve got kids that are “brothers” of mine 

OTJ, I carried 4 spare, 7rnd mags for the 1911.

Never went past the 2nd mag,  as I was trained to reload after first 'contact'. ;)

Better to have-and not need...^_^

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OTJ, I carried 4 spare, 7rnd mags for the 1911.

Never went past the 2nd mag,  as I was trained to reload after first 'contact'. ;)

Better to have-and not need...^_^

OLG 

I was on a mission once where my gear weighed 95 pounds. A light load compared to normal. My gear comprised of a pair of socks, one MRE, and ammo. I think I might have had enough.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I was on a mission once where my gear weighed 95 pounds. A light load compared to normal. My gear comprised of a pair of socks, one MRE, and ammo. I think I might have had enough.

All the stuff you Rangers had to jump with is crazy.

At least you didn't have to lug the 120mm mortar around that my son did.

The rest of his team carried 3rnds each for it. 

OLG 

Archived