SASS Wire Forum

My answer to the glock vs 1911 question

Trigger Mike

For decades I was a 1911 fan.  Mainly because I am a military weapons fan.  I carried a  colt double eagle 45acp , a double action version of the 1911, that I bought from my chief.  He discouraged a 1911 as a carry because as a Vietnam veteran he had seen mishandled 1911 misfires.  

Then one day the department tried out the glock.  Some officers had trouble with the ergonomics of the glock and couldn't shoot well with them.  Since I collected military pistols and was familiar with the luger, it was not a problem for me.   I bought one but only carried it a little while,  trading it for a smith  686 to a deputy.   I opted to carry the sig p220 in 45 for a while instead. 

I kept buying the 1911 for fun, and then the glock for giggles and because I missed my buddy who bought my glock 23 but died before paying for it.   

I got to really like the glock UNTIL I discovered the sig m17.  A 21 round magazine sold me to it.  It is more accurate than most of my 1911s and glocks. Holds more, has better ergonomics than a glock.  It just really settled it for me. 

Sig:  because sometimes glock just doesn't cut it 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what about?

serveimage(16).jpg

Whenever I am asked my opinion of Glock when I'm behind the gun counter, I say "it is a durable, reliable firearm that will do what you need for personal defense for a reasonable price." If asked if I own one, I will say "No, and I probably never will." On the subjective side, they don't work for me. The grip angle is wrong for me, and I have never cared for the trigger feel of them, and I simply prefer a hammer over a striker. Probably why I still prefer the M9/92FS over the M17/P320 also, but I will agree the M17 is a step up from the Glock.

This was all brought home to me when I purchased an H&K VP9SK and took it to the range, along with my Beretta PX-4 Storm. For comparison, my friend came along with his Glock 19. When I pushed out into an isosceles stance with the Beretta, it lined up great. The H&K actually lined up better if that is possible. The Glock left me needing to pivot my wrists downward to get the sights lined up. Could I get used to shooting one? Probably, but why should I? There are options out there I like better, that are as reliable.

As for the 1911, I will simply say I cut my teeth on the 1911 when I was in the Army Reserve (we had them in my unit from 1988 up until we deactivated in 1993). I recently picked up a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and find it very accurate at personal defense distances, and a pleasure to shoot. I practice with it, and I have confidence that I can still utilize it effectively. While still heavier than polymer, I'm able to conceal it without a real challenge. I'm not one of those who believes I need two, fifteen-plus magazines at a minimum to walk out the door in the morning. Not judging those who do, but I'm happy with nine rounds of 9mm Speer Gold Dot on hand.

The HK VP9 also has a great trigger. A great little pistol, but I sold mine. Sold most (but not all) of my 1911s too. (Gotta have a 1911 for Wild Bunch after all). Kept the Glock though. I just prefer Glocks. I shoot Glock often, trouble free, and well. About 8500 rounds through a G45 last year. Twas a good year for Glocking. ;)

A 1911 fits my hand better than any other weapon I've held. That's not to say I don't like other weapons I have a few from flintlock pistols to Walther PPK pistols, SAA's, Nagants Rugers , Bisleys birdshead and plowhandles. My next favorite is my PPK.

kR

20 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

A 1911 fits my hand better than any other weapon I've held. That's not to say I don't like other weapons I have a few from flintlock pistols to Walther PPK pistols, SAA's, Nagants Rugers , Bisleys birdshead and plowhandles. My next favorite is my PPK.

kR

I know what you mean. The 1911 fits my hand better than any other handgun.  JMB nailed it!

Gaston quite possibly just made the most trouble free and most utilitarian handgun ever. ;) Plus aftermarket support for Glock is pretty much infinite.

I have a few double stack pistol but don't own a Glock and have never shot one. I have nothing against them just have never held one. I do have an FMK that I really like but it doesn't get shot much.

kR

PS maybe I'll get my hands a Glock one of these days, I do have a half dozen Glock 17 33rd mags.

glocks.jpg

1911 mal champ.jpg

M1911 fits my hand naturally and I don’t have to think to aim and fire.

I don’t like Glock because they aren’t ergonomically correct for me.

Therefore, they take too long for me to aim and fire.

CB

Here's the solution... best of both worlds.

The Glock 1911serveimage(17).jpg.6d8b97a09bce154ed4734a655e72940d.jpg

serveimage(18).jpg

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

serveimage(18).jpg

Having never owned either, I don't really have a preference...

But that is just WRONG on so many levels.

Carried a 1911 when I was po-po. It's saved my live twice when the c'it got real.

Today at 69 years of age, I carry a Glock 19 gen5 with Tru-glo sights.

Really like it. With 1 spare mag I have 30+ rnds ready.

The front cocking serrations really help with the arthritis in both of my hands.

Still have the duty 1911 along with several Sigs, H&K's and Browning's and my LW Commander. 

OLG 

I still carry the same old Para P13/45 that I’ve carried for twenty years.  I’ve tried a number of more modern handguns over the years and only once did I stay with the new unit for more than a couple of weeks.

I tried a Taurus Millennium Pro that managed to stay on my hip for a couple of months. Nice ergonomics and fairly compact. It only held ten rounds and that sent me back to the old Para.

Ergonomics is tremendously important in a pistol as well as trigger feel. Many double stack guns are uncomfortable for some

While I carried Glocks on duty for years, I could never shoot them quite as well as a 1911 or a K frame revolver. When I retired I was alowed to keep my issued Glock. At my retirement party I was given a Colt stainless 1912 ny my officers and friends

Guess which one I still have.

My edc now is usually a SIG P938. I call it a juvenile 1911.

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

serveimage(18).jpg

The deepest, darkest fantasy in every glockaholic's cold heart...

Any 1911 ads out there THIS sexy? ;)

serveimage(15).jpg

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

He discouraged a 1911 as a carry because as a Vietnam veteran he had seen mishandled 1911 misfires.  

Then one day the department tried out the glock.

What I don't get is... a 1911 has a thumb safety AND a grip safety, yet to some people it is somehow more dangerous to carry than a Glock, which has nothing but a tiny little dingus on the trigger to prevent a ND??? :huh:

37 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

If your Glock falls out of your boat into the lake, Relax, it’s only a Glock!

If you string ten or twelve 1911s together they make a decent anchor. :P

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The deepest, darkest fantasy in every glockaholic's cold heart...

Hmmm....no, I don’t think so. Yet again another confused 1911 guy...

It’s okay. I can understand why y’all think the way you do. I used to be the same and then one day I shot my first Glock. Oh Joy! :lol:

It is so hard to do this and keep a straight face. :D

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Any 1911 ads out there THIS sexy? ;)

serveimage(15).jpg

There's an ugly smudge on the picture to the right of the magazines. Nevermind thats the pistol!:ph34r:

Yeah, I just had to. Don't shoot me I have a glock too.

I suppose it boils down to this. If you're a gun owner who is so intimidated by a 110 year old gun design that you have to denigrate it in order to feel better about your own choice in guns, maybe you need a better gun. Particularly when design concepts from that 110 year old design show up in your gun, such as a tilt barrel.

On the other hand, if you're so enamored with your 110 year old gun design that you believe it is the epitome, and can't fathom why someone would choose something different, perhaps you're a luddite, and need to accept that technology has a way of moving forward.

Nothing Fits my Hand better or Points more Naturally for Me than a 1851  Navy or my Open - Tops with Navy grips!!!

And there is No other Auto that Points as well as a 1911 ….

I'm not a fan of Tupperware Guns of any sort … Shot a Glock in 9MM not a fan of 9MM's and even less of a fan of Glocks ...

Have a Ruger M-100 and some S&W in  both .357 and .38 Spl.

I like Wheel guns ….

But I do have a 1911 in .45 ACP and if I need more rounds than that ,, I got into the Wrong Fight ...

Jabez Cowboy 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hmmm....no, I don’t think so. Yet again another confused 1911 guy...

It’s okay. I can understand why y’all think the way you do. I used to be the same and then one day I shot my first Glock. Oh Joy! :lol:

It is so hard to do this and keep a straight face. :D

first glock.jpg

People make me laugh. When they don’t like a gun they seem to feel like they have to disparage the gun and the people who like them. :lol: Kind of reminds me of elementary school...

Ah, the memories...(cue wavy lines)

Getting laughed at because your Mom bought you Tough-Skins and all the “cool kids” have Levi’s. (Ruger Vaquero vs Colt OR Glock vs 1911) :lol:

Getting teased because the guys found out that you like Marcy, but she’s a year younger so you “hang out with babies”. (Prefers .38 caliber to .45) :rolleyes:

Getting made fun of because you wore the same old ratty jacket to school that you wore the year before. (Runs stock guns. Everyone has slicked-up or modified their guns because Joe Cool and Tactical Tammy say you aren’t worthy unless you do) :huh:

Getting looked down on because your Mom says you can’t afford to pay to go in the field trip with everyone else so you have to stay behind. (Can’t afford to go to matches away from your local range while everyone seems to be going to EOT, Camp Perry, Whittington Center, etc...) ;)

Turns out you get to spend the day with a pretty substitute teacher...:P

Being pitied and scorned because all you got for gifts was socks and underwear. (Charter Arms vs S&W and/or Colt’s):lol:

That’s okay. The trials of childhood makes one stronger. They build character. Helps you handle scorn from the big kids as you grow up and toys get even cooler as you grow. ;)

7 hours ago, DocWard said:

On the other hand, if you're so enamored with your 110 year old gun design that you believe it is the epitome, and can't fathom why someone would choose something different, perhaps you're a luddite, and need to accept that technology has a way of moving forward.

So what's your point?:D

As others have said, I've shot a Glock, the 1911 fits me better, as does the SAA. As a side note, I don't like plastic guns, but if that's what YOU like, I'll not disparage you for it.

So...

Glock wins?

:D

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

Gaston Glock developed the pistol that bears his name in 1980...40 years ago.  From noted firearms expert, John Travis:

It seems that the debate/argument/flame war re the 1911 vs the Glock shows up almost every day…with the Glock fans insisting that their toy is the far superior design.

But, if they knew just how much of it is 1911…and how many of its features were borrowed/stolen from not only John Browning…but many of his contemporaries, they’d be a little shocked.

Let’s count the ways.

The locked breech, short recoil operation with the tilting barrel and front slide dismount is Browning’s. The fact that it HAS a slide is Browning’s idea. He pioneered the sliding breechblock in 1898, and it appeared on his 1900 Model.

Glock 17-7

Action spring under the barrel? Yep. Browning again.

The double camming surfaces on the lower barrel lug and the frame-mounted cross member used to raise and lower the barrel…ditto. He used that on his Grande Rendement, and it reappeared when Dueudonne Saive used it on the High Power. Ditto for the barrel’s integral feed ramp.

Glock 17-26

The double column/single feed position magazine? Browning again…on the Grande Rendement.

The striker can be attributed to Hugo Borchardt and Georg Luger. Pre-staging it is traced to the Roth-Steyr.

Glock 17-5

Button actuated magazine catch/release? Borchardt and Luger.

Synthetic frame? Heckler and Koch had that covered over 30 years ago.

It seems that the only real innovation is that all these borrowed ideas are combined into one pistol. Well…that and the safety mounted on the trigger…and that led to the term “Glock Leg” being coined.

So, when the Glockers come atcha with this superior, innovative design…educate’em…and be prepared for heads to explode.

Glock's only contribution was the safety on the trigger...otherwise, the pistol is a collection of other people and companies designs.  

I hope y’all know i am joking with the Glock  guys.  My friends that have them love them. When I say “it was only a Glock that you dropped in the lake” their reply is “when I they finally got back out if the mud it still worked fine”.

Archived