SASS Wire Forum

Longhunter gunsmithing?

Currahee

Most of the action jobs on my CAS guns were by Longhunters.  It was all good work.  Further, Longhunters manages their backlog so you don't wait months to get you guns back.

Over the years, a few Cowboys have handed me their 1894 Marlins to 'feel'.

They were all nice.....VERY nice, smooth and functionally reliable.

I've always heard good words about his work.......AND, very kind words about the man himself.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've always heard good words about his work.......AND, very kind words about the man himself.

..........Widder

^ This X 1,000.  I don't believe Jim Finch is active in the business anymore.  Pretty sure his son took over.  But the apple sure didn't fall far from the tree.  Outstanding folks to deal with in both a personal and professional sense. 

I have been a proud owner of a Stoeger Bounty Hunter by LONG HUNTER.  It is the best double I have owned in my 80 years of shotgunning.  Going on my fifth year of use without a problem with the Bounty Hunter..

Jim is still active in the business and even comes out to shoot with us every now and then. Still an impressive shooter. Also Longhunter work is still top notch.

Jax T

106617L

15 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

^ This X 1,000.  I don't believe Jim Finch is active in the business anymore.  Pretty sure his son took over.  But the apple sure didn't fall far from the tree.  Outstanding folks to deal with in both a personal and professional sense. 

He for sure answered the phone and corresponded over email when I ordered a CZ hammered double earlier this year. Not sure if he did the actual work on the gun or not, but whoever did is doing a mighty fine job.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

With re-broadcasts of sports, I'm sure there will be a game or 20 of his shown.^_^

You don't have to wait for re-broadcasts!  Longhunter has YouTube videos!

Broke the firing pin on my Uberti 73 just 2 days before the 2019 TN state match. Called Longhunter, and yes he answered the phone, overnight delivery of FP and the rest is history.

I do not know first hand to LH's work, mostly per reputation which is as solid as one could ask.  But, I do know  first hand, his honesty, trust, dedication to SASS & family, and being a "stand-up" person. I am honored to call a Jim very dear friend.  I miss he and Gail in many ways.

Between me and my wife we have 2 pistol sets, shotgun, rifle and all fantastic!! Wish I would have just went to him when I started in 2016, would have saved a lot of time, money and FRUSTRATION. Oh along with not picking B-western....marlin...boooo, booooo:D (in 1873 now...loving ittttttt)

Will go nowhere else but Long hunters have done me right for money spent! Thanks Long hunter!!

I've never had him do any work, but I've bought at least ten Marlin one-piece firing pins and several of the safety delete pins from him. No problems. A few years ago, one of the firing pins never arrived - it was replaced, no questions asked. :)

I bought a '66 carbine from LH awhile back.

Veeeeeeeery nice action work. Veeeeeeeeeeeery nice. :D

Customer service was excellent. 

Fair price.

I obviously need more LH rifles, now that I'm thinking about it.

:D

I’ve been using long hunter for 5 years or so. I’ve had over a dozen guns either purchased from them or sent to them for work. They are hands down the best in my opinion. I usually deal with Jared, a very stand up guy and a crack shot with an 1851 as well. Thanks for this thread. It reminds me that I need to place another order soon. 

Dantankerous,

You are right, you do need more LH rifles. I live close to them so if you order a couple I will go by and pick them up and test them for you for a month or two!!!:D:D

Just happy to be  of service

Jax T

15 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’ve been using long hunter for 5 years or so. I’ve had over a dozen guns either purchased from them or sent to them for work. They are hands down the best in my opinion. I usually deal with Hated, a very stand up guy and a crack shot with an 1851 as well. Thanks for this thread. It reminds me that I need to place another order soon. 

Jared

I've got a half dozen of Jim's earlier USFA guns.   Rock solid work still shooting just fine.  Couldn't be more pleased.  Nice guy to boot and still one hell of a good shooter.

This is a fancy Long Hunter piece that was well worth getting engraved and adding ivory too.  But it was Jim's work inside that made it  as good as it is.

DSC09137.JPG

I recently bought a CZ Sharptail shotgun from Long Hunters.  I called on the phone to ask questions before I bought and Jim answered.  He talked to me for at least 20 minutes, answering everything I asked and giving me more info than I thought I needed.  The gun I ended up getting had an issue with the safety and he paid for return shipping and fixed the problem within a couple of days.  That gun is now my primary shotgun over my SKB.  My first experience with his work was when I bought a pair of Smoke Wagons from a guy getting out of CAS, who had purchased them new from Long Hunter, who had done the short stroke on them.  The work was top notch, and although they are not my primary pistols any longer, I still have them and would recommend them to anyone.  The same guy who sold me the pistols also gave me Jim's DVD set.  I've watched those videos multiple times and told him on the phone during our conversation how much they had helped me as a new shooter.  He is as humble as his videos portray him, and his work remains outstanding.  I remain a Long Hunter Fan.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

My Marlin works flawlessly. Me, not so much.:D.  My Marlin Dr. is the best!!

11 hours ago, levi littleton said:

I've got a half dozen of Jim's earlier USFA guns.   Rock solid work still shooting just fine.  Couldn't be more pleased.  Nice guy to boot and still one hell of a good shooter.

This is a fancy Long Hunter piece that was well worth getting engraved and adding ivory too.  But it was Jim's work inside that made it  as good as it is.

DSC09137.JPG

Still one of the best looking guns I have ever laid eyes on. I sure hope this one is one day inherited by someone that appreciates its worth

I don't really know what is going on at Longhunters because I have not been in touch.  I think Jim trained Jared several years ago, and then Jared took over for a while, but now Jim is back.  So I'm not sure how Jared is involved now, but just wanted to say that my impression of Jared is that he is very talented also, and I would have no qualms at all about having him do work instead of Jim if need be. 

7 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Told someone I'd post pics of a CZ I got from Longhunter:

Very nice.  Chamber chamfering appears outstanding, as does honing of extractor.  Bet chambers and forcing cone work is equal. Assume lightening of springs and a few other little tricks were part of package also.

I just bought 4 guns from Long Hunters and Jim is still very much involved in the business. He told me that he has closed the store front to the public as the majority of his business is online. He called me when the guns were ready and I met him at the shop. They are still very busy with work. Great guy to work with. Love the guns and would not hesitate to have his shop do future work for me. 

Archived