SASS Wire Forum

1911 Full Length Guide Rod

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

Since I a lot of time on my hands, I am doing some gunwork.  I have a series 80 1911 (1991) 45.  It is standard.  Who makes an affordable full length guide rod and spring? 

Colonel Del Rio

Les Baer

Full length rod stops you from being able to rack the slide back one handed.  You may wish to reconsider. John Browning did not put one in for a reason. Irish ☘️ Pat 

47 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

EGW. Doesn’t require special tools.

+1

Yep .. I still have a couple of 1911s around and they both have EGW two piece rods. I like the two piece rod because it is easier to put the gun back together (screw the rod extension in "after" everything is back together) ...

You don't have to have tungsten but both of mine are ... EGW - Brownells 296-000-047 ... They say "STI" but that doesn't matter ... One of mine is in a double stack Para and the other in a SS Rock Island. 

I don't know why you would have a problem racking w/ one hand .... the rod doesn't really stick out anymore than the barrel. It has been a while and Pat's comment made me think so he must be one-handing it diffrent than I do.

I just tried it ... put the rear sight up against the heel of my shoe and racked the slide w/ no problem ... If you put the front sight or the rear sight up against a table edge you can do the same. 

6 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I don't know why you would have a problem racking w/ one hand .... the rod doesn't really stick out anymore than the barrel. It has been a while and Pat's comment made me think so he must be one-handing it diffrent than I do.

I just tried it ... put the rear sight up against the heel of my shoe and racked the slide w/ no problem ... If you put the front sight or the rear sight up against a table edge you can do the same. 

You can push against the slide under the muzzle to load the gun one handed if you need to . If the gun has any type of squared off 

rear sight you can accomplish the same thing with it . If you look up emergency action drills I’m sure it’s demonstrated all over Youtube. Not a big deal just depends on what you train to do .

Most target shooters put one in , allot of people who train allot and carry a 1911 don’t just because it takes a option away for no perceived benefit. 
I often carry a STI staccato that has a flgr in it . I don’t loose any sleep over it , if you carry any of the wonder 9’s some might even argue it’s a bad habit to get into . I guess it just comes down to knowing the capabilities and limitations of your firearm choice 

I believe for Wild Bunch...ANY full length guide rod is illegal

I stand corrected. After looking in the handbook...full length is allowed in modern category 

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Not in the Modern category. Full length rods are allowed. Tungsten is prohibited.

I don't care , don't shoot Wild Bunch , not very available in my area , just curious. Why not , and who could tell while shooting ?:huh:

Is it the weight ,  hardness , or a period thing?

Rex :D

I do a FLGR delete on all my guns that come with them.  They don't increase reliability.  Their only benefit is causing the gun to be slightly more forward heavy.

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why do you want one?

They really don't do anything. 

OLG 

Was thinking this. ^  Back in my 1911 days I put them in all my guns but only because that was the thing to do.  I never got a good explanation for what they do.  Just another whiz bang toy. 

9 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Just another whiz bang toy

Yup.  Over the years I have had just about every upgrade I could have on my 1911.  I dressed it up like my cousin dressed up her barbie, changing parts as fashions changed.  In the many years since then, I have stripped it all back off again (except for a slightly extended thumb safety).

You can put lipstick on a pig... but in the end it is still just a pig.  But that is good because pigs are where bacon comes from! :D

If you use the EGW and unscrew the extension ... the remaining peice is the same length as a standard rod. Sooooooo ... if for some reason you actually/really wanted to shoot WB ... just unscrew the extension. 

I don't think the OP really asked about the merits of the rod ...

They provide another bearing/guiding surface for the slide (in addition to the barrel bushing and rails) and I like the feel ...  

... AND ... my Rock doesn't rattle w/ the extension (FLGR) ... but I suspect it shoots just as well either way. ^_^

My EDC is a 1911 and I ditched the FLGR as soon as I got it home. I had a Colt Series 80 years ago and tried the FLGR in it as well just to see before I ditched it and went back to the USGI. But, this thought is for a Government length carry gun, not a super race gun.

I feel the same way about ambi-safeties was well, toss 'em.

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never ran one-never will. They're worthless.

I've carried a 1911 for over 45 yrs, and they don't do anything good.

OLG 

Have to agree 100%.  Tried one once for fashion reasons, took it out once it became a nuisance. 

Spring has no way to bind or kink in the tunnel, so it's just added weight and complexity.

SC

I tried them in a couple of guns and found that they do nothing.  I think I  had two or three of them in my "junk" box, sold them to a smith who uses them to make a profit. ( He doesn't use them in his 1911's.)

Blackfoot

I agree. I've had twenty or so 1911s over the years and have run FLGR in some only to find they made no difference except to make disassembly more difficult. I'm currently running a custom Kimber Custom (I know...funny) and a Springfield MC Operator. Both have had a FLGR at one time or another, but both are standard spring and plug now and 100% reliable. The Kimber has chewed through 20k plus rounds without choking on anything.

Agree with all the "don't need a FLGR" posts.

My GI 1911s run just fine as they were JMB designed.

B)

Archived