SASS Wire Forum

Will the landscape of Society change?

It's interesting seeing America this way.

Sort of a throwback to the 50's with neighbors entertaining neighbors, strangers helping strangers.

Many working from the comfort of their home.

Getting your newspaper on line versus delivery, same with other online services (ie. Magazines, our own Cowboy Chronicle, Periodicals, etc.)

Curb service provided by everyone from grocery stores to the big box stores.

Using Virtual Doctor for routine health issues.

One has to wonder how many of these will become the norm long after this Pandemic is over.

I have to chuckle, (ruefully) about the situation here in Ontario, Canada.

Last fall the Premier of the province. Mr. Ford, in salary negotiations with the teacher unions, wanted to mandate couple of courses of "E-Learning" for students, as part of the curriculum.

Teachers went on rotating strikes, work to rule etc. 

Many parents supported the teachers.

I wonder how that's working out now?

I actually don’t think so. There was a temporary change in America after 9/11. 
It did not last.  I think you need an event that lasts for years rather than months, like the Depression, WW2, etc.

I believe the behavioral changes I’ve seen so far are temporary, and primarily urban.

As far as strangers helping strangers, you should been in the grocery store with me the day they announced the Stay At Home order. :unsure:

Most humans are critters of habit.  Once the scare is over they revert back to their habits. 

Online shopping will probably increase but other than that I don’t think society will see any long term changes unless of course this drags on for a lot longer than it is projected to now. 

As Yul Lose said, people will do more on line shopping, but will also do more from home , because of the new habits they will develop. They will find that they don't HAVE to leave the house to get what they want. 

They can shop, work, and probably more from the comfort of their easy chair wearing their pajamas.

If that makes them happy, I'm fine with that. Maybe traffic will be lighter. I'm fine with that, too.

But as for me, I'm still going to be Out There.

Archived