SASS Wire Forum

Red Dot Shotshell Loaders

Renegade Ripley

So using Red Dot for AA hulls what charge seems to work best for you?

Also using 7/8 oz 7 1/2 shot.

Thanks Renegade Ripley

2 hours ago, KingSnake said:

12 gr Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot works best for me. 

This will also work well with 1 oz. Probably need a little more for 7/8.

I use 14.0 with 7/8 oz.shot.  clay Buster wads. 

After shoulder surgery a few years back settled on this...

AA or STS hulls, Remington or Winchester 209 primers, 7/8 oz. shot, WAA12L grey wads.

MEC 9000 #25 bushing, measured 13.4 gr. Red Dot...but also Clays or Clay Dot without changing bushing.

Also loaded IMR Red with same bushing, measured 14.4 gr.

Shot 13.4 gr. Red Dot left barrel and 14.4 gr. IMR Red right barrel in my S x S 12 g., 6 stages (loaded all with #25 bushing). Maybe an occasional slight smidge more umpf sound in right barrel, but not noticeable on my repaired shoulder. Supposedly, IMR Red was comparable sub for Red Dot, but for same volume  (#25 bushing) it is about 1 gr. heavier. Shoulder was happy and still is, use the same load now, interchanging all 4 powders.

RRR

My wife wanted a light load..so I now use it as well..13g with 13/16 of reclaimed shot..works well but I do go heavier if they are 'pesky targets or have been put out a bit further  !

When I first started, I had never reloaded shotshells before. Another shooter recommended 18.0 Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz of shot... :blink:

Now I use 12 grains and 7/8 oz. I know another shooter here who used 9.0 grains for years, but bumped it up to 10.0 grains a couple years back.

The published load is 17g or so with 7/8, gives 1200 ish fps.  Have shot 1000’s at clay targets.  Seems people are loading even slower which in clays tended to give bad patterns.   Probably fine for the short distances and large targets of sass. 

15 gr. of Red Dot with 1oz. of 7 1/2.  I probably could get by with less, but I had an SKB with inertia triggers that needed the extra powder.  My wife didn't mind the load in her 97 so I never changed the settings.  To us, the recoil is still mild and targets always go down.

Archived