SASS Wire Forum

PaLeeeeze..... give me a break.

I hope you are sitting down for this one.

The news this morning ran a report that there is deep concern for Olympic athletes might commit

SUICIDE because of mental problems due to the postponement of the Olympics.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Where's the sympathy for ALL the other folks who have been adversely effected by the virus.

Doctors, Nurses, Caregivers, Moms & Dads out of work,  schools closed (possible graduations deferred),

Military, etc.....

I think they need a Special Report for Cowboy Shooters who might get depressed from no competition

or gathering of friends.

Basically, some of these 'Special' people think the world evolves around them.   They think the

sun rises and sets because they are so Special.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

..........Widder

"JUST ANOTHER MANIC MONDAY"

I'm waiting for a 'Go Fund Me' to originate for Mike Bloomberg.   That poor feller

has probably lost $25 Billion the past month and is now only worth $40 Billion,

minus a couple Mil.

p.s. - I ain't got nothing against Bloomberg.  Its just the way some folks think in our 

society, very little surprises me anymore.   

..........Widder

Suicide may be a bit much, but while most of us are dealing with rather ordinary restrictions and disappointments, folks who wholly devoted themselves to the goal of Olympic excellence, only to see their dream disappear,  might experience an extraordinary sense of loss.  I can understand that.  

LL

6 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm waiting for a 'Go Fund Me' to originate for Mike Bloomberg.   That poor feller

has probably lost $25 Billion the past month and is now only worth $40 Billion,

minus a couple Mil.

p.s. - I ain't got nothing against Bloomberg.  Its just the way some folks think in our 

society, very little surprises me anymore.   

..........Widder

Warren Buffet sold his airline stocks.  Times are tough.

How did our poor 1980 Olympic Team survive?

Not only did they NOT GO, every other country did.

There must have been mass suicides.

I guess the news covered them up.

13 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Suicide may be a bit much, but while most of us are dealing with rather ordinary restrictions and disappointments, folks who wholly devoted themselves to the goal of Olympic excellence, only to see their dream disappear,  might experience an extraordinary sense of loss.  I can understand that.  

LL

World class athletes are hard wired with a sense of purpose that most of us will never understand. 

My niece’s boyfriend trained for years in archery, only to be named “first alternate” for the Olympics. It was tough, but he was well grounded and moved on. 

Do I give them any more sympathy than others in this time?  Nope. 

Wish when I was young that I had someone paying all my bills and supporting me while I could train 8 hours or more a day. 

Give me a break:angry:

12 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Wish when I was young that I had someone paying all my bills and supporting me while I could train 8 hours or more a day. 

Give me a break:angry:

My understanding is that only medalists receive "prize money"; the Olympic Committee does offer some stipends to some athletes, mainly those that win national events and appear to be poised to be competitive in the future - but even then the money is nowhere near enough to "pay all their bills".  Most hopefuls need jobs and private/family money to have time to train.  I do not think it is accurate to portray Olympic athletes as spoiled rich kids or entitled little jocks; for the most part, they are ordinary kids with extreme dedication and a dream.

LL

6 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

For the most part, they are ordinary kids with extreme dedication and a dream.

I’ve had the pleasure to personally know several Olympic athletes and their backgrounds. This phrase describes them all to a T. 

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Don't forget about all the sex they're missing out on.

Yup, Saw it on NBC this morning with Michael Phelps biggest worry being suicide amongst Olympic athletes. They're probably on the beaches in Georgia.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

They are postponed, not cancelled. If you want to talk about “sense of loss”, how about the young families out there with the parents jobs deemed as non essential. Dipping in their savings to make ends meet and watching what little they were able to put into retirement funds just disappear. Maybe you think of that as just “ordinary restrictions and disappointments”, but I don’t. 

2 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

They are postponed, not cancelled. If you want to talk about “sense of loss”, how about the young families out there with the parents jobs deemed as non essential. Dipping in their savings to make ends meet and watching what little they were able to put into retirement funds just disappear. Maybe you think of that as just “ordinary restrictions and disappointments”, but I don’t. 

Well, Doc....I'm one of those folks about to retire, watching $50K in 401(k) savings go up in smoke.  I feel the pain.  But what I was trying to point out was simply that young athletes trying to reach the Olympics have a valid reason to experience a sense of loss - not that they are on the top of the list for sainthood. There are a lot of folks (MDs, RNs, FD, PD, etc.) who are the front line of virus exposure; who go home every night with the worry that they may be bringing illness or death to their homes; and get up the next day and go through it all over again.  

For some athletes, "postponement" means the end; they cannot afford to remain in training for another 4 years.  

It's not a contest; it's shared loss and fear.

Stay safe.

LL

I do not look at the athletes in the report as victims. I think this is a touchy-feely piece by some empathetic reporters that are offended on behalf of others.

Some pinhead thinks they are helping a cause when all they are doing is causing harm. 

I feel for athletes or anyone else that strives to reach a goal only to have their dreams dashed because of outside forces. It has happened many times in my life. I am sure it will happen again. Would I eat a bullet because I missed out on something? I very highly doubt it. Just like a I highly doubt anyone that has struggled to become the best they can be in Olympic sports is so fragile and frail that they would commit suicide because their goals have been impacted by this virus.If anything I am sure those people are stronger because of their experience and training.

LL, sorry to come on so strong. I have 5 kids. 2 are in the medical field. The only one of them not working is a Dr of physical therapy. I guess therapy is not essential. A daughter is a nurse and she has sent her child to my in-laws because they live close to her to keep herself quarantined from him. Other young folks are not so lucky. 

Thing is, the olympics are only postponed for a year, not another 4. 

I qualified for the Olympic trials in International Air Pistol being conducted at Colorado Springs for the 1984 Olympics held in LA. Too much trouble to take a weeks annual leave. The tryouts were a weeks freebe at the Olympic Center, just had to pay air fare.  Somehow managed to survive after not going. 

What we see of Olympic athletes is shaped by the circus that is television and we only see the top 1 percent, or maybe even less. These are the elite of the elite and Mr. Phelps is one of them - which is why he's being interviewed instead of someone else.

What we don't see are all the others who've struggled financially and sacrificed so much so they can participate at one special moment in time. Postponement for even a year means the end of that opportunity for many of them.

PLUS ONE too Pat Riot!!!  Or even TWO.  This isn't a danger or even a problem real or imagined.  It's the product of some Pin Head whom is in bad need of a bi-line and attention.  

15 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What we see of Olympic athletes is shaped by the circus that is television and we only see the top 1 percent, or maybe even less. These are the elite of the elite and Mr. Phelps is one of them - which is why he's being interviewed instead of someone else.

What we don't see are all the others who've struggled financially and sacrificed so much so they can participate at one special moment in time. Postponement for even a year means the end of that opportunity for many of them.

Maybe that other 99% should become cowboy action shooters. Heck, Sass would probably even add a few more categories for em lol

BUT....but, but........ What about EOT cancellation and our Top Shooters being mentally effected the rest of their

lives. (Sarcasm mode)

After all, these Pards (male and female alike) have practiced hard and spent mucho bucks on guns and ammo

to reach the top this year. 

I don't say this in a mocker type way..... but putting the olympics in perspective, I think some of our

champion shooters have also dedicated themselves to MANY hours of practice and determination to

be at the top.     Ya don't hear about any of them calling the Suicide Hotline.

I would bet a buck to a doughnut their perspective on life is solid and safe.

I feel for those who have traveled great distances this past couple years, spent MEGA bucks for that 

chance to be TOP GUN.    And now.......PFFFFFFF,  its all gone.

I really find no sympathy for Mr. Phelps and his attention grabbing actions.   If I were an Olympian,

I would chastise him for acting like my representative and tell him to go find some other group

to pity.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

BUT....but, but........ What about EOT cancellation and our Top Shooters being mentally effected the rest of their

lives. (Sarcasm mode)

After all, these Pards (male and female alike) have practiced hard and spent mucho bucks on guns and ammo

to reach the top this year. 

I don't say this in a mocker type way..... but putting the olympics in perspective, I think some of our

champion shooters have also dedicated themselves to MANY hours of practice and determination to

be at the top.     Ya don't hear about any of them calling the Suicide Hotline.

I would bet a buck to a doughnut their perspective on life is solid and safe.

I feel for those who have traveled great distances this past couple years, spent MEGA bucks for that 

chance to be TOP GUN.    And now.......PFFFFFFF,  its all gone.

I really find no sympathy for Mr. Phelps and his attention grabbing actions.   If I were an Olympian,

I would chastise him for acting like my representative and tell him to go find some other group

to pity.

..........Widder

This and while Mr. Phelps is at it, grab another hit off the bong there bud....take some pics. Oops, I guess that's already been done.

I have a lot more sympathy in my heart for the normal, everyday folks that got "furloughed" (fired) from their jobs.....you know, the ones making chump change to provide for themselves, their family and their kids. They don't have ANYTHING to fall back on like commercials, past fame or future prospects. They only know that they are unable to pay their bills and will soon be hungry, homeless and are already living on the edge of suicide. Sure, it's a hard pill to swallow...elite athlete's on the verge of they're dreams. At least they had some dreams.

It's called life. Things don't always go the way we want. Some people deal with it better than others. I'm disappointed that I'm missing watching my grandson play ball this Summer. I'll get over it

I worry about my daughter and my 6 week old grandson. She might lose her business, and he has developed some issues being that he was born 5 weeks early.

Disappointment, certainly. Tragedy, hardly. I know tragedy. One needs to keep everything in perspective. Difficult sure. But necessary.

Archived