SASS Wire Forum

How much difference in feel between regular Ruger grip and Bisley

Rex M Rugers #6621

I have a semi-serious question about the differences in the two styles of grips on Rugers. Would it be so dramatic as to cause handling problems , or increase in missed targets??

The reason I ask , I have two main-match sixguns , Ruger Vaquero 44 Specials. I would like to add a third so I would have a back-up , but that model is liken to Unicorns.

Flat-Top Bisleys in 44 Special are available , so am wondering if that would be a good idea or not worth the hassle.

Like to hear some experience from those who have used both.

Let 'er rip , Rex :D

P.S. Anyone that has an extra Ruger 44 Special that is gathering dust , I wouldn't mind hearing about it. :D:lol:

First of all, where are you finding Flattop Bisley 44 Specials? Gunbroker? Been looking for one myself...

Secondly,  I prefer to shoot Bisleys over the standard Ruger plow handle but you will notice a big difference on your Ruger plow handle if you change the hammer to a Super Blackhawk hammer (assuming you shoot one handed anyway). A much different feel with an easier reach to the hammer while leaving the plow handle grip. I have large but not huge hands, for what it's worth... just food for thought.

Otherwise you'll probably find one or the other will just fit your hand better.

When I shot Bisleys I never looked back. And I have a sweeeeeeet pair of OMV plowhandles too. :D

When I was teachng newer shooters there is a little test to find out which one will work best for you.

The P frame or the Bisley frame.

Get a ruller, stick a broom handle something you can hold in your hand and see both end.

Above your closed hand and below your closed hand.

If your by yourself, you can stand in front a mirror.

Turn side was to it.

With the stick, ruler in hand, close your hand and fingers around it like you would grip your revolver.

Extend your arm like you where shooting.

Look in the mirror.

Is the stick straight up and down or is it leaning forward at the top and backwards at the bottom.

Straight up and down is a Bisley grip.
Leaning from vertical is a P frame grip.

If your natual grip is for one, the other will require you to bend your wrist to find the target.

If your grip is for a Bisley, your would have to bend your wrist down to shoot P frame.

If your grip is for P frame then yuo will have to bend your wrist up to shoot Bisleys.

I was just getting ready to post the quote from Cliff Hanger.
I found it incredibly useful, and post it elsewhere complete with author's credit.

We have both.
My wife has a pair of NM Sass plowhandles, I have three pair of Bisley in 22, 357 and 44.

I'm a sucker for Bisley.

I started with plow handle and later found the the Bisleys fit my hand ( I have a fairly large hand) much better. I shoot Duelist and there is a big difference if I pick up a plow handle.

Randy

I started shooting with plow handles two handed. (9years) Last year got a pair of Bisleys started shooting Classic Cowboy, found for me not a hard change, like the Bisleys, not fast but having a lot fun. Just my $0.02.   Bulldog Brown

12 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I started with plow handles, thought Bisleys would fit my big hands better but I did not like the feel, so stuck to plow handles 

I did the exact same thing.. And yep I got big hands too..

Started with plow handle Rugers.. Shot them fer about 9 years..

I saw the test Cliff hanger posted.. :mellow: hmmm.. Kinda looks like I need

Bisleys..:huh: I shot Bisleys fer about 2 years 

I went back to my plow handles..

I was just more comfortable with them..

Rance ;)

Thinkin it's a lot of yer own mind set:wacko:

I don't find a difference in feel of the grip. However I find a great deal of difference in where the revolver points, if I close my eyes and point the revolver straight out in front of me the PH grip will point at the target, the Bisley will be pointed much lower.

kR

Shot plow handle OMV's in .44, as a duelist for 15+ yrs.

I use the thinner checkered gunfighter grips and stock profile hammer.

This fit my medium size hands very well.

B frame just didn't feel 'rite' in my hands. Don't know if it was a muscle memory deal or what. Couldn't shoot the B frame as well either.

YMMV,

OLG 

There are also .44 Special New Model Blackhawk Flattops available in a standard plowhandle configuration.

For those shopping for a Bisley version there was a used revolver in the Greenville SC Cabelas Gun Library last time I was there.

Pards , thanks for all the helpful hints , and Cliff Hanger for the grip-check pointer. I tried that , and the stick was straight up and down. 

Anyway , I pulled the trigger on a Bisley on GunBroker , will see how it goes. 

I did do a kinda blind test with my present sixgun ; focused on a target with arm hanging down , closed eyes , pointed sixgun at target , opened eyes , and rear sight was at base of front sight. Not scientific I know , but maybe...............who knows.:P

Anyway , will find out if it works out in a week or two.

Thanks , Rex :D

I tried both grip styles before I bought any pistols. The Bisley fit me much better. Now have 3 pair...

2 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

I tried both grip styles before I bought any pistols. The Bisley fit me much better. Now have 3 pair...

3 pair?

That's a good start.

;)

12 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

If I run into that "much better" thing , it will probably end up costing me for another one.:P

Rex :D

I don't know, I just love the Bisley grip style. Shooting gunfighter, the longer grip allows the pinkey to fully engage and hold the grip. With Eagle Gunfighter's thinner design you get a good solid grip. You can also see the sights with the hammer down getting you a head start on the sight picture. I feel like I have to bend my wrist to shoot the plowhandles and my pinky is looking for a place to go. It's all personal. That's why we have choices! Go shootin'!

If I do that test cliff hanger described, my stick is angled.  I always thought the curve on the grips is what makes our guns so great to shoot.  There's plenty of real estate for you to find the correct grip angle.  I do something similar to figure out where I need to grip the gun.  I extend my finger like I'm pointing, then I find the spot on the handle where the barrel lines up with my finger.  With modern pistols, there's one angle and if that don't work for you, then you gotta keep looking till you find one that does. 

I swap back in forth between bisley and plow handles with no problem, it's only OMV plow handles that ever give me trouble.  I notice that I choke up on the bisley a lot more though.  I suspect that the weight of the OMVs makes me choke up more than I oughta on plow handles, but with an OMV bisley frame, my grip point is sufficiently balanced. 

On 4/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, Preacherman said:

You can also see the sights with the hammer down getting you a head start on the sight picture. 

I can see the sights,  with the hammer down on my Ruger OMV w/plow handles . ;)

OLG 

Ihave been shooting Old Model Vaqueros sincem they first came out.

I ordered my first before I knew about CAS and it has a 4 digit number.

I have several now.

For these guns to hit correctly for me, I found through practice that I need to get my little finger down under the back strap.

And as those who know me, I do not use sights very often and poibnt shoot most of the time.

When drawing from holster, I bend my little finger and use it to hit te bottom of the back strap and then get my grip so the joint crease at the end of my fingers lay directly over the wood to steel on the left side with my right hand and the oppisote with my left hand.

This keeps me from wrapping my hand too far around the grip pulling the gun outward way from eye to target line.

Right hand too much grip pulls to right and left hand too much grip plls to left.

Remember it is what happens to me when I shoot OMV.

It works for me.

I can not find a grip for Bisleys that works and this same issue comes up when I try to shoot the pistol grip 73.

I can't bend my finders to follow the stock curve in the level loop.

And I really wanted a 73 with the pistol grip curve. 

Settled for a straight stock 60 Henry I shoot occasionally.

My primary rifles are all 92s because of this.

I didn't want to settle for a straight stock 73.

Again, this is just me.

You have to find what works for you.

I have a set of 44 40 OM Vaqueros with Bisley grips and Super Blackhawk hammers.  I think they're really easy to hold when shooting one handed

Recently bought a set of 38 40 OM Vacgueros with plow handles.  I just changed them out to Super Blackhawk hammers and it really makes them easy to shoot one handed as well.  Even on days when my hands are a little stiff.  Those lower hammers really make difference.

My first Ruger was an adjustable sight bisley, my second was a standard gripped vaquero, I sold the bisley and bought 3 more vaqueros. Also have a birdshead vaquero that I like. But I found that I could shoot, as a duelist, standard grip pistols faster. A personal choice, buy what feels the best.  These are my zebras, I removed the crappy aluminum ejector rod hsg from the 7.5 in and replaced it with an extra ss hsg that i had but it looked bad so I swapped cylinders. Now they both have ss blackhawk hammers too.  Might need a blued blackhawk hammer for the ss birdshead. Much prettier and perfect timing on both. 

A0B0003A-5A66-4EC3-9833-5B12458DE141.jpeg

On 4/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, Dantankerous said:

First of all, where are you finding Flattop Bisley 44 Specials? Gunbroker? Been looking for one myself...

lipseys had a run of them made.  They were available through sportsmans warehouse.  You simply order it on line and they ship to your local store.   Not sure they are still available.  

I started with OMV with the Bisley grips in .44 mag. and find they are more comfortable with real heavy loads than the plow handles. We tend to shoot lighter loads for CAS, so my guns are all plow handles now. I have big hands and can wrap my pinky under the grip on the Bisleys like some psay to do with plow handles.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, Cowboy Junky said:

I don't like them for SASS as a squaw paw but they shine for shooting large caliber guns. 

Frames-ALL.jpg

Does anyone else get the feeling that the person who made this was messing with us?  Why come the xr3-RED line is black, and the super BLACKhawk line is red? 

Also, can someone please explain what the XR3-Red, XR3, and KXR3 grips are? 

XR3 was the original size grip on the early Blackhawks.  It is also the size on the New Vaquero and the recent Flat-top series.  Then (I do not remember the year) Ruger changed to the XR3Red (red is short for re-design) grip frame. KXR3 should be stainless steel. But the only short ones that I remember were on the Single-Six 32s.

But , with Ruger there seem to be no absolutes. This is just a rough estimate of what should be.

Rex :D

Archived