SASS Wire Forum

Prepared For Trouble ???????

Charlie T Waite

God help them if toruble comes his way - This is why 1st timers should be trained.

Image may contain: one or more people and shoes

Ok, I've decoded this photo.  As stupid as it looks, he is simply trying to avoid losing it.  Let me break down the evidence for you:

1)  There is a watermark on the photo that says "USAWTF."  That is an abbreviation for "US Army XXX Moments," a popular web page that publishes idiocy in my service branch.  

2)  The shorts he is wearing are official US Army physical fitness uniform.

3)  The T-shirt he is wearing is official for wear with the US Army Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) -- i.e. our new camouflage pattern.

4)  The only time you are allowed to mix the OCP T-shirt with the physical fitness shorts is while deployed; it is for conducting physical fitness training with limited laundry services.  

5)  The only time you are allowed to wear a physical fitness uniform in a dining facility (DFAC) is while deployed.

6)  It is a Beretta M9, the currently-issued handgun (most people don't have the new one yet) for the Army.    

7)  The velcro belt holding the M9 is the "underbelt" of a Military Police duty rig.  Perhaps others are using it, too, but I know the MPs have it.

8)  There is a magazine in the M9, meaning he is deployed.  Under no circumstances would a loaded weapon be allowed in a DFAC unless deployed.

9)  The safety / decock lever is down (i.e. "safe" position), where the MPs are supposed to carry it (don't get me started...I know how stupid that is).

So, this is a soldier, most likely an MP, who just conducted physical fitness training and is going to get something to eat.  He is wearing his issued M9 because he is deployed; it does not get locked up in the arms room.  He is off duty, hence no holster, etc., and he is wearing simply for "accountability" purposes -- i.e. so it doesn't get lost or stolen.  

19 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

So, this is a soldier, most likely an MP, who just conducted physical fitness training and is going to get something to eat. 

...or he’s a Goof! :P

I’ll go with your analysis. It makes sense...I think. :D

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...or he’s a Goof! :P

He is still a goof.  Wearing the underbelt on a physical fitness uniform is not authorized.  Running it through the trigger guard is not authorized.  He should have showered, changed, and put on his holster belt to go to the DFAC. 

This smacks of poor standards and discipline UNIT-WIDE.  If I were his battalion commander, I would have a word with the Command Sergeant Major about the poor standards and discipline within the NCO corps in that unit.  When an officer legitimately tells an NCO their corps is screwing up, garbage like that stops at lightning speed.  

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Sgt Majors don't put up with crap from anyone.

Sergeants Major put up with crap from the colonel.  Don't forget, the "old man," the battalion commander, is the one in charge.  The CSM's job is to enforce standards and discipline ON BEHALF OF THE COMMANDER so the commander has time to worry about the mission.  

I completed battalion command last July and the CSM and I are still close, but there was never any question about who was in charge.

This is true at every echelon.  Way back when I was a company commander, we were on a field training exercise.  Nearly half of the vehicles I saw parked were failing to meet the minimum standards -- chock blocks, drip pans, unsecured equipment, etc.  I grabbed the First Sergeant and tore him a new one.  "Doesn't the NCO Creed that you are going to do your job so I have time to do mine?  SO WHY AM I DOING YOURS?!?!?!?"

The problem lasted less than five minutes.  He stopped training, pulled all the NCOs, and made them fix every deficiency before restarting training.  He wasn't nice about it, either, and I didn't want him to be.  His entire NCO corps was just embarrassed in front of the "old man."  Their soldiers should have done it right the first time, but the NCO's job was to make sure they did.  Since the NCOs failed to do their job, they got to fix the problem.  They didn't let it happen again, I promise you.

Speaking of command and discipline, I was fortunate enough to get up this morning just as Tunes of Glory came on TCM.  A great movie!

The guy in the photo looks like a damn fool.  
He should have been formally reprimanded.  He’d never dress like that or carry another weapon for me again!

Cat Brules

Archived