SASS Wire Forum

Just bought a stripped lower intending to build light, no frills 5.56 AR to compliment my Sig M400 carbine. Ended up buying an additional complete AR that was just what I was going to build. Since the lower was on sale, I picked it up too. Now my thoughts on what to build have changed. I thought about 300 Blackout, then started reading about the 6.5 Grendel. I don't hunt, which is kinda what the 6.5 is touted for. So, would it make a good target/plinking round? Isn't the Blackout mainly used as a suppressed round? I do't envision me getting into that area.

Your input is welcomed.

Wyatt

I would not go looking for trouble.  I would probably build another 5.56mm/caliber -223 Remington, UNLESS I had something specific in mind for this weapon, such as a super-hard-hitting self-defense-round weapon, shooting hollow points.

But that’s just my opinion.

Cat Brules

The Grendel is an excellent target/plinking round.  ;)

My son, Sassparilla Kid, built one - but at 9+ lbs it's not lightweight - by design.  Long, heavy barrel and scope (Bushnell Elite Tactical), he wanted it for ground squirrel and coyote control at multi-hundred yards ranges...  but only shoots paper with it.  It is scary accurate!  ^_^

Lighter versions would be quite fun and still accurate.  And it has a really cool name (Grendel is the monster in Beowulf)!   :)  

1275894395_RyGrendel3.thumb.jpeg.58577a7adb3decd038ff523a965e53c5.jpeg

1559207218_GrendelBarrell.thumb.jpg.fe04b0b7cd8d36387311710a1b13f1a0.jpg

Thanks Cat and Hardpan. To add to my dilema, I also have an AR10 in 308 with a Bushnell P308 scope, so do I need the Grendel? Although the Kid's rifle is close to what I would do. 300 Blackout firing 150+grain bullets would make a helluva personal defense gun.

So, how about a 300 Blackout pistol? Since I have a brand new stripped lower marked "multi-caliber" I assume I could make a pistol with a 9-10" barrel. I've seen videos of these "pistols" fired from the shoulder, so you could essentially have an SBR without the hassle.

Given how well it performs at distance, (its downrange ballistics are superb!) the up-close improvement in punch that it provides over 5.56, and the fact that it slots into existing AR magwells, it is possibly the best caliber devised for a PBR.  It is absolutely the caliber that the US military should have spec'ced for its caliber upgrade.

That said, the fact that it wasn't selected means that ammunition supplies are not as ubiquitous as lesser calibers.  Nevertheless; it is superior in every way to 5.56.

Cheers,

FJT

Its a fantastic little round. Super accurate, very little recoil. Great factory ammo and reloading components available for it too. Great on paper, steel and critters.

16 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

A couple of the guys that shoot at my mid-range (900 meters) here have them. I have absolutely NO use for them. A solution looking for a problem. IMO

OK Jack I'll bite.  Take the 22LR, 45acp, 30-06, 450 NE, 50 Browning isn't everything else a solution looking for a problem?  Why do you have no use for them?

The Blackout was designed to throw 30 caliber bullets at sub-sonic speeds in suppressed rifles. If that’s what you’re seeking, go for it. 

Two weeks ago at the range there were two guys shooting the 6.5 Grendel. One an AR platform and one a bolt gun. It was scary how accurate they both were at 200 yards. The bolt gun was laying sub-1/2” groups with a spectrum of powders. 

It is not that it is a bad cartridge. It just looks better on paper than what I and some others I know have seen in actual field performance. Like a few other new cartridges, 6.5PRC, 300 PRC, etc. etc. Ok if you want to buy something new fine, but it doesn't solve any problem that exists. If you want one, buy one, but don't expect any miracles in the field.

44 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

It is not that it is a bad cartridge. It just looks better on paper than what I and some others I know have seen in actual field performance. Like a few other new cartridges, 6.5PRC, 300 PRC, etc. etc. Ok if you want to buy something new fine, but it doesn't solve any problem that exists. If you want one, buy one, but don't expect any miracles in the field.

I have a question for you, sir, and I hope that you don't take offense, as none is meant: does every one of your gun purchases have to solve a problem? Not trying to stir anything up, just curious...

The above having been said, I love my Grendel. Mine has a 20 inch standard profile barrel which is laser beam accurate. Brass and loaded ammo are getting easier to find (except maybe now) and it's easy to load for and death on coyotes a long way out yonder. The Grendel has been used for deer, elk and other game with appropriate bullets. It is also considered to be an 800 yard steel target cartridge should one be so inclined. 

Regarding the 300 BLK: your lower will work fine. I have one that I built as an 8 1/2" pistol, and it's a kick in the pants to shoot. Brass can be made from .223 brass by the simple expedient of cutting down the length and running it through a 300 BLK sizing die. I've been using 110 grain Nosler poly-tipped bullets and H110 powder. If you decide to build one I can give you a list of parts suppliers so you can build it as cheaply as possible. I built mine this past winter and I think I have about $400 in it including a red dot sight. 

Hope this helps.

Charlie, it doesn't bother me at all that you somewhat disagree with my reasoning for not being a fan of the cartridge. It is fine, just not really a game changer in any way.   Actually the thing I forgot to put in my first response which was solely about the cartridge and did not really address the big picture, which is that without new stuff the gun manufacturers would go under and none of us want that.

Go out and buy a new gun and support your local gun store. Whatever cartridge you want at the time.  They all work.

We are into precision long range here and most of the rifles I see are in not only the old standby cartridges but a nice mix of the latest trends. Most are bolt guns and with optics the average cost is around $7000. Not everyones bag but I have ranges out to a mile for the big guns.

4 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I have a question for you, sir, and I hope that you don't take offense, as none is meant: does every one of your gun purchases have to solve a problem? Not trying to stir anything up, just curious...

The above having been said, I love my Grendel. Mine has a 20 inch standard profile barrel which is laser beam accurate. Brass and loaded ammo are getting easier to find (except maybe now) and it's easy to load for and death on coyotes a long way out yonder. The Grendel has been used for deer, elk and other game with appropriate bullets. It is also considered to be an 800 yard steel target cartridge should one be so inclined. 

Regarding the 300 BLK: your lower will work fine. I have one that I built as an 8 1/2" pistol, and it's a kick in the pants to shoot. Brass can be made from .223 brass by the simple expedient of cutting down the length and running it through a 300 BLK sizing die. I've been using 110 grain Nosler poly-tipped bullets and H110 powder. If you decide to build one I can give you a list of parts suppliers so you can build it as cheaply as possible. I built mine this past winter and I think I have about $400 in it including a red dot sight. 

Hope this helps.

Charlie MacNeil.....

Yes, I would like to see your list of parts suppliers:

jyacono@aol.com

Thanx,

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Charlie MacNeil.....

Yes, I would like to see your list of parts suppliers:

jyacono@aol.com

Thanx,

Cat Brules

Email sent, sir.

I recently "rebuilt" my 6.5 Grendel with a side charging upper and deleted the gas system, essentially rendering it a straight- pull bolt action (also leaving me with a spare upper that I think needs a barrel now).  Managed to shoot it a bit today (100 yards according to my Leupold rangefinder), I numbered the 3 shot groups (disregard the 2, was still getting it dialed in), at this point I think it's safe to say the rifle is probably more accurate than the shooter. If I can get my hands on some actual targets I might try to get it zeroed at 200yards (according to the ballistic data on the box it said a 200yd zero was ~+2.3" at 100yds, kind of what I tried to approximate here)

20200229_202631.jpg

20200229_202606.jpg

20200410_151343.jpg

• 1 month later...

Project update. I finished the build today with the arrival of the Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" side charging upper in 5.56. As this was my first build, I wanted to keep the costs low, while still using quality parts that are made in the USA.

Anderson stripped lower

Anderson lower parts kit with stainless hammer and trigger

KAK Industries Shockwave brace, buffer tube, buffer and spring.

Bear Creek Arsenal side charging complete upper receiver

Hogue grip

Magpul sights

I think it turned out quite nicely.

20200512_150804.jpg

Archived