SASS Wire Forum

Supposedly: "“female Armenian guerrilla fighters, 1895.”

Subdeacon Joe

They appear to have enough ammo to settle any fracas they might get into. 

I can’t tell for sure but it almost look like that's a top break revolver that’s not fully latched. What kind of revolver is that? Anyone know?

I have a theory about the breed of the rifle but do  not wish to announce it cause I'd probably be wrong.  Let's let ALPO ask them for their rank and ID card.

Well,

first, I don’t think those two darlings have much ammo showing at all.

second, the rifle looks like an old German Mannlicher Model 1895

Pistol?  Unsure, no comment.

Cat Brules

The one with the stripes I might believe.

The one with the curly hair - she doesn't look like she has ever touched a rifle before in her life.

I understand "posed picture", but I've seen dead outlaws in 1880s American West photographs holding their gun better.

Those things that look like bandoliers appear to have a cover or flap covering their cartridges. Those little decorations along the bottoms of the bandoliers look like bullets poking out of cartridges. 

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm hoping that someone knows.  My guess is a Webly Mk. 4 Navy but I'm likely wrong.

It doesn't seem to have that obvious step down or flat just behind the hammer from the frame to the grip a Webley has? may be the angle?

download.jpg

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

It doesn't seem to have that obvious step down or flat just behind the hammer from the frame to the grip a Webley has? may be the angle?

download.jpg

Good catch.  When I went back it looks like I should have said Mk. IV, and that too would have been incorrect.  

Webley Revolver - Modern Firearms

It doesn't have that step, but it also doesn't have the squared off butt.  Plus the cylinder seems to be too long.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here is a little more info on these ladies. 

https://thefemalesoldier.com/blog/armenian-guerrillas

I believe that revolver is a Nagant

1B76AA97-561B-4509-9409-D2D420A70E6A.jpeg.e1d91442dc094ee1aacb75d38e666172.jpeg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

Pat, what Major Crimes pointed out also holds true for the Nagant.  No flat step right behind the hammer.

But thanks for the information on the ladies.

17 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

About 4 - 1/2 foot tall?:unsure:

Billy the Kid was reportedly only 5'4", Wyatt Earp was a giant at 6". People were much shorter on average back then. I'll bet there about 5' 

The Swiss and French had a number of military revolvers in the 1875-1900 period that resemble this revolver.  Most were in 11mm short case cargridge.

This looks like a studio gun since neither lady has a holster or visible ammo.

I think the rifles are Swedish m1896

535879B9-9781-4AE3-A9DD-A721B94D6944.jpeg

The rifles were probably taken from dead Turks.  Turkey (the Ottoman empire) was engaged in a decades long attempt to exterminate the Armenians.  

The Germans and Ottomans were allies in WWI.  At one point a German army faced off against the Ottomans.  The Turks were, as usual, trying to wipe out the Armenians.  The Germans, needing the region's oil, were protecting the Armenians.  The British had advisors with the Armenians.  Strangely, this put the Brits and Germans on the same side in a small part of WWI.

Notice the bandolier in Bob's picture. The cartridge heads are covered with a flap that snaps down. The bullet noses are exposed underneath the bottom of the bandolier.

That way when you need to reload you just pull up one of the snap flaps to get access to the ammunition.

The two ladies appear to be wearing similar bandoliers, but they have them on backwards. The snapped flap is in against their body. That, I believe, would make it quite difficult to access the spare ammunition.

This is another thing that makes me think "posed picture", not "actual guerillas".

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Notice the bandolier in Bob's picture. The cartridge heads are covered with a flap that snaps down. The bullet noses are exposed underneath the bottom of the bandolier.

That way when you need to reload you just pull up one of the snap flaps to get access to the ammunition.

The two ladies appear to be wearing similar bandoliers, but they have them on backwards. The snapped flap is in against their body. That, I believe, would make it quite difficult to access the spare ammunition.

This is another thing that makes me think "posed picture", not "actual guerillas".

She also appears to have a pistol holster.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The snapped flap is in against their body. That, I believe, would make it quite difficult to access the spare ammunition.

Or it could prevent it from hanging up on brush or rocks.

Yes, the revolver looks so much like several revolvers of the “period,” that I coils be one of several that I’m unfamiliar with.  This pistol is either broken, or simply not latched.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or it could prevent it from hanging up on brush or rocks.

And protect the ammo from dirt/ mud. Possible.

Archived