SASS Wire Forum

What did you do today?

I took a hike up my mountain and removed an "illegal" tree stand that appeared there last season. Hope the Ahole comes looking for it. Right at the top of the trail where I have my stand much lower down the mountain. Wonder why no deer came by me this year. I figured something was up up the mountain and I found it, as well as over a dozen socks hanging in my trees. I'll be sure to check that area pre-season this year! If he shows up here, I will refer him to the Game Warden to get it back. Cheap stand and ladder however!

Went to town and picked up some plants. Helped my wife plant them around the house. Tumbled brass from our shooting yesterday. Cleaned the guns. Tomorrow I’m gonna cut the stock down on her skb so it fits her better

Well , I cut the stock on my wife’s SKB. Came out nice and she is happy with the resulting length. Loaded some more ammunition. Shot my bow for a while and cleaned some dust out of the garage with the blower. Now watching a little greatest NFL games. 

My wife timed me through 5 simulated SASS stages.  I gave here some lessons with her new shotgun she got for Christmas.

"Attended" Divine Liturgy streamed on FB.  Our bishop has allowed Liturgy with the priest, a deacon if there is one, one server, and one singer.  Our priest has his mom staying with him and his wife, so he has cut it to services with himself and his son singing the responses and hymns.  A very odd sound, just two voices and no other bodies to absorb the sounds.  Has an echo.

Ordered a vegetarian pizza delivered (If you are in CA and have a Mountain Mike's near you order online and get the Olympus).

Just now made a cabbage, fennel, and carrot slaw with a grainy dijon and honey vinaigrette.  Haven't done much with fennel before.  Having fun playing with it.

Helped wife move dafodills and lilies, put down black plastic to sterilize soil in old herb garden, placed new deer blind on a foundation down by the creek, walked my Weimaraner.

Duffield

Finally put together and welded up a metal chair for outside casting this afternoon. Set up one of the Pro-melts and cast ~350 Lyman 314299 200 grainers for .303 Brit and ~620 Lee TL314-90-SWC 90 grainers for .32 H&R and .32-20. Then the sun set, so I called it a day.

Came home from work.

Slept.

Went back to work.

Yesterday, sat with my autistic, disabled step son while the wife had a few hours to get out of the house.  His adult training facility is closed due to the virus, so we've been 24/7/365 with Brandon for two weeks, and will be for at least two more.  He doesn't comprehend why he can't go to his "school", so he's been a bear.  I've been out to work a couple of times (mostly working remotely, but have to go in occasionally), and worked my part time job at a LGS Friday and Saturday.  While sitting with Brandon, I seasoned and smoked a couple of packs of chicken thighs and legs.  Turned out quite tasty...

smoked chicken.jpg

bman n dad.jpg

16 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What scale? If you can, pics of your layout please. 

Howdy, Slim,

HO scale.  I have pictures, but not sure how to post them.  I have mixed success on Model Railroader Forum.

Did laundry, took out the trash, talked to my banker, read some, watched TV, cleaned my Les Paul, and poured myself a good four fingers of apple pie, which I'm taking to the bedroom with me!!

Spent yesterday in bed from a flare up of CPPD. When it fully subsides I can get back to work on my latest modelling effort, a Grumman Guardian, an anti-sub aircraft from the 1950's.

IMG_20200323_141932633_HDR (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Spent yesterday in bed from a flare up of CPPD. When it fully subsides I can get back to work on my latest modelling effort, a Grumman Guardian, an anti-sub aircraft from the 1950's.

IMG_20200323_141932633_HDR (1).jpg

Hope you're feeling better soon.  And that's some intricate work.  I could never do that without getting frustrated or accidentally breaking it.

Took Schoolmarm to town to see the oncologist. Once again, she got all A’s on her report card!

On the way home, we stopped at WallyWorld to pick up some new test strips for my glucose meter.

When we got there, they had a section of the parking lot set aside for pharmacy customers. You call and let them know you’re there and they bring your prescription out to you!!

They had already texted me that mine was ready, so it was less than five minutes before it was delivered and we were gone!

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Hope you're feeling better soon.  And that's some intricate work.  I could never do that without getting frustrated or accidentally breaking it.

I've lost count of the number of times I've cracked or broken a stringer on this thing. And for perspective I weighed all the structure except for tissue covering and rubber motor and it's a hefty 2.2 ounces. Wingspan is 34".

2 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

I've lost count of the number of times I've cracked or broken a stringer on this thing. And for perspective I weighed all the structure except for tissue covering and rubber motor and it's a hefty 2.2 ounces. Wingspan is 34".

The picture made it look bigger than that.  Smaller must be even harder.  Please tell me it's for decoration only and you're not going to fly it.

Sorry, no hanger queen here. It'll be flown this summer. There's a thrill to free flight I didn't get when I flew radio control. Once released all you can do isn't watch!

Next project in the queue is the Russian IL-2 Stormovik. That will be quite a challenge. Similar size 32" span

12 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Nice model, I have been doing that for years, my shop has about 27 RC planes hanging from the ceiling. When people come in the shop for Auto repairs they look and some of the older guys comment that they learned to fly in one they recognize.  What are you going to cover it with?

Today it was cloudy and dry so I walked out to the garage and looked at the motorcycles all on battery tenders and started the eny meany Miny moo and the 1980 FLT won. So I rolled it out of the garage fired her up and took a nice 120 mile ride up into the mountains. I'm about 100 miles west of  Crater Lake, but the temp was getting to cold for me after 2000 fbs, so I took a left turn and dropped back down to warmer weather and putted about 45 mph on empty back roads. For an Iron horseman the sight of no crash cages is a good thing. Got back to the fort and just in time, a thunder storm with all it's glory passed over about 35 minutes later. By that time I was snuggled up in my chair with my blankie working on a nice nap.

4 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Today it was cloudy and dry so I walked out to the garage and looked at the motorcycles all on battery tenders and started the eny meany Miny moo and the 1980 FLT won. So I rolled it out of the garage fired her up and took a nice 120 mile ride up into the mountains. I'm about 100 miles west of  Crater Lake, but the temp was getting to cold for me after 2000 fbs, so I took a left turn and dropped back down to warmer weather and putted about 45 mph on empty back roads. For an Iron horseman the sight of no crash cages is a good thing. Got back to the fort and just in time, a thunder storm with all it's glory passed over about 35 minutes later. By that time I was snuggled up in my chair with my blankie working on a nice nap.

Sounds like a perfect day to me

5 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Nice model, I have been doing that for years, my shop has about 27 RC planes hanging from the ceiling. When people come in the shop for Auto repairs they look and some of the older guys comment that they learned to fly in one they recognize.  What are you going to cover it with?

I still have a stash of Esaki tissue, so it'll be covered in that, then a light spray of clear lacquer. I'm hopping to keep flying weight between 70-75 grams. ( 2.46 -2.64 ounces)

This is the color scheme I have in mind. It's a dark Navy blue. Second pic is of the IL-2.

AF Markings 1951 VS-24.jpg

il2-4a.jpg

Nice, I have done a lot of silk and dope, and tissue, but one thing I did try was panty hose and dope. It worked really well, very tight and the curved wing tips were a piece of cake. It's not as light as tissue, but my rc planes were over powered anyway. One of my funnest was an Astro Hog 60 size. I had a real fancy black paint job on it with a color fade on the wings from red to yellow  at the tips. Then a smoke system I made here in the shop. The smoke would come out at the bottom of the fuse, then with a flick of the flap switch, it would come out of the wing tips, then at full flap position of the switch, smoke would come out of the fuse bottom and the wing tips. The guys in the club loved to see her fly on a clear day with the smoke system on. They nick-named it old smokey.

Today - fixin' to try out some .303 Brit cast bullet loads in a No. 1 MkIII SMLE. :)

20200408_134426.jpg

(edit) Some results:

13.0 Red Dot, "The Load", as per C. E. Harris, was the worst performer, giving me a 5 shot, 50 yard group of around 9 3/8", with three rounds tumbling and hitting sideways.

22.0 5744, touted as a "standard universal load" for cast bullets in cartridges such as this, gave me a 5 shot, 50 yard group of about 5 7/8".

16.0 2400, J. R. Mattern's "Universal Load", put five into 2 3/16", with four going into 1 1/4", with possible slight horizontal stringing.

20.0 4198, recommended by Mattern and several others as being "the best by far" in the weight ranges they've tried with 4198, put 5 into 2 7/8", with four going into 1", with possible slight vertical stringing.

So... looks like 2400 and 4198 need some experimenting out at the hundred yard mark. :)

Archived