SASS Wire Forum

What's your current read....

I know with all the Stay At Home guidelines in place, we find solace in reading since we have more time.

Currently I'm into...

The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. ...

What book, magazine, periodical are you currently into yourself.

Blunt Force Kindness, the fifth book in the Baer Crayton series by Clayton Wildermuth.

J. Robert Kennedy's "Broken Dove."  Third in a series about an Indiana Jones type archaeologist and his adventures. 

Not very believable, but entertaining.  :)

Ronald Dahl's Matilda, Ralph Barbour's Partners Three, Max Brand's Interns Can't Take Money, Michael Chrichton's Congo, Kathy Reichs' Deja Dead.

"Plum Island" done

Now finishing "Nightfall"

By Nelson DeMille

I enjoy the exploits of wise cracking character John Corey of the NYPD. These books are hard to put down.

I'm trying to decide what book to read next. I have over a dozen in my pile of "to read" books. From biographies and histories to eastern philosophy and religion. A couple of nights ago, I did sit back and re-read Flint, by Louis L'Amour. I also just received my newest copy of Fine Scale Modeler in the mail today, so I will sit down to peruse it over the next couple of days.

Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn

A radical Islamic Terrorist assaults and takes the White House. The President is in a safety bunker underground. 
Interesting but a bit over the top.  Still a good read.

CJ

A History of the English Speaking Peoples, by Winston Churchill.  Amazingly readable.  Already almost done with volume 3 of 5.  If you got the time . . .

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm trying to decide what book to read next. I have over a dozen in my pile of "to read" books. From biographies and histories to eastern philosophy and religion. A couple of nights ago, I did sit back and re-read Flint, by Louis L'Amour. I also just received my newest copy of Fine Scale Modeler in the mail today, so I will sit down to peruse it over the next couple of days.

Read most if not all of L'Amour's books, and a lot of Elmer Kelton. Have you read Tom Clancy? Great books and can become an addiction if you're a reader. But they are LLOOONNGG! I like your average paperback I can read in 3 hrs or less.

JHC

5 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Read most if not all of L'Amour's books, and a lot of Elmer Kelton. Have you read Tom Clancy? Great books and can become an addiction if you're a reader. But they are LLOOONNGG! I like your average paperback I can read in 3 hrs or less.

JHC

I read just about everything Louis L'Amour put out in my teen years, into my early twenties, because my older brother was a fan. I have my own collection now, numbering the majority of his books. I always describe Louis L'Amour books as "fast food reading." I may not get as much out of it as other stuff, but it's quick, fills a need and I enjoy it.

I've read some Elmer Keaton, and a couple of Tom Clancy's books. I've read several of Clancy's non-fiction works as well.

Out of everything in my list of books to read right now,  there are no novels. For whatever reason, I tend toward non-fiction in the books I buy to read.

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn

A radical Islamic Terrorist assaults and takes the White House. The President is in a safety bunker underground. 
Interesting but a bit over the top.  Still a good read.

CJ

One of his best. Was sorry to hear when Vince Flynn passed. 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I recently read The Midnight Line by Lee Childs, then snickered when I saw Tom Cruise in a movie playing Jack Reacher. I don't like TC much and there is no way I'd have chosen him to act as big, burley, JR. :wacko:

I will look for more books about Reacher.

My favorite JR books are "Killing Floor", "One Shot" and "Bad Luck and Trouble". I've read the whole series, these are the ones I bought.

My pick to play JR for the next movie, if there is one, is Kevin Durand, Canadian actor who played Little John in Russel Crowe version of Robin Hood. Good actor and he's the right size.

Just finished The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick, (Little Big Horn) and now into They Died With Custer by Douglas D. Scott, P. Willey and Melissa A. Connor (Soldiers Bones from the battle of the Little Big Horn).  Just two of my 70 + books on Custer and the LBH.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I recently read The Midnight Line by Lee Childs, then snickered when I saw Tom Cruise in a movie playing Jack Reacher. I don't like TC much and there is no way I'd have chosen him to act as big, burley, JR. :wacko:

I will look for more books about Reacher.

There’s lots of them, all good.

Steven Hunters books about Bob “The Nailer” Swagger and his kin are all great reads. His early Day Before Midnight wasn’t a Swagger book but a very good read none the less and then my all time favorite Hunter read Dirty White Boys.

It's a great couple of weeks for reading here.

20200404_135837.jpg

20200404_135822.jpg

20200404_135747.jpg

Archived