SASS Wire Forum

Colorado asking everyone to wear masks

You should be OK with that mask.  You don't have a BLACK HAT on, so they will know you are one of the good guys!

:lol:

Funny, (or not) I was reading where a mask may be a good or bad idea.  Professional people wearing correct fitting medical grade masks are doing it right and the masks are essential.   But the mask warn by the general public are not up to screening out the virus.  They tend to be poor fitting and poorly applied.  The biggest problem is people fidgeting with the mask constantly adjusting and touching it that spread the virus to and from the mask.  :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If permitted..... wear your Cowboy pistol with it.   ;)

..........Widder

Remember only load 5 in each or lets see a safety and procedural i think. 

Speaking of masks. Some 40 years ago I was working at a small liquor store on Industrial Blvd near downtown Dallas. This was the traditional setup, where 95% of the goods were behind the sales counter which stretched from end to end. I saw two guys get out of their car in the parking lot and noticed they were both wearing masks. I shouted down to the other guy that was working with me and we both reached under the counter and grabbed a pistol. Those two guys walked in and were immediately greeted with a couple of pistols pointed at them from some 20 to 25 feet. They couldn't get those masks off fast enough, screaming "Hold on, it's us". Turned out to be two of our regulars. I ask what the hell they were thinking, walking into a liquor store at night in this part of town with a mask on. They agreed it was a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Funny, (or not) I was reading where a mask may be a good or bad idea.  Professional people wearing correct fitting medical grade masks are doing it right and the masks are essential.   But the mask warn by the general public are not up to screening out the virus.  They tend to be poor fitting and poorly applied.  The biggest problem is people fidgeting with the mask constantly adjusting and touching it that spread the virus to and from the mask.  :ph34r:

The purpose of the mask is NOT to screen out the virus - that has never been the purpose of a surgical mask.  It keeps the surgeon from infecting the patient.  The main reason why we were told not to wear masks originally was to keep folks from buying masks that were needed by health professionals.  Making your own or using a different kind of mask is fine and a good idea generally.

13 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The purpose of the mask is NOT to screen out the virus - that has never been the purpose of a surgical mask.  It keeps the surgeon from infecting the patient.  The main reason why we were told not to wear masks originally was to keep folks from buying masks that were needed by health professionals.  Making your own or using a different kind of mask is fine and a good idea generally.

In consultation with our doctors, since we are not only over 65, and I am diabetic,  wearing a mask (we have some left over from when my wife's mother was alive) is better than not when we go out tonight to pick up groceries at curbside from the store.  We will wear not one, but two, double layers of gloves, will be wiping every food item with alcohol, and leaving everything but perishables outside for four days!  Perishables will also be wiped down and placed in a refrigerator or freezer in our garage.  We are wearing old clothes, and will strip them off and throw them away, wash our hands when we first enter the house and take showers.  Hopefully, we won't pick up the virus in the process.  If we have somebody else shop for us, they might not "suit up" to the extent we will.  And we would still have to decontaminate everything, "dressed up"  I will still have to pick up my medicines, and the pharmacy says they are completely out of gloves and masks for their employees!  So, I will have to take similar precautions!  Hopefully, we will be okay.  You all do what you think is best!

3 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

Our Governor has requested everyone to wear masks outside the home. I needed to go to the bank but not sure I should wear this mask

A0506D51-BA7C-42B0-9C06-6BC0C66E6A39.jpeg

Bandanas will be a requirement soon.

23 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Bandanas will be a requirement soon

Everybody wants to be a Classic Cowboy, admit it!  :lol:

DC - wear it.  They probably won't even bat an eye.  Now a year ago they'd have called the cops on ya.

I saw several at Costco the other day with bandanas and such.

Two of my daughters are nurses.
Masks and gowns are SO hard to come by, they are washing cloth gowns for re-use.
If masks and gloves were not important, the medical folks wouldn't bother wearing them.

As of April 3, the number of infected cases continues to double every 5 days.
By May 24, the entire country will be infected at that rate of doubling.

In our house, we go out in public in N95 masks and disposable gloves.
I spray the masks with alcohol and re-use them.
I'm fortunate to have a few boxes of Harbor Freight gloves left over from the fence staining project.

When I run out of Purelle, I'll reload my own from Aloe Vera and ISO alcohol.
Smart and Final was selling 1 gallon bottles for $8.
I found the same on Amazon for $50, plus Hazmat transportation fee.

meme.medicine.007.virus.protection.when.masks.run.out.360.sfw.jpg

Yes, the wearing of masks is “illegal” in a lot of cities, counties, states, etc.

SHOW OF HANDS......Who Cares?

Besides, if those statutes exist without caveats, exceptions, etc., then they’re even dumber, since I doubt any would survive a constitutional test, anyway.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

As of April 3, the number of infected cases continues to double every 5 days.
By May 24, the entire country will be infected at that rate of doubling.

Knock on wood. And too early to celebrate victory but our county of 45,000 has staid at 17 cases for days with now 11 recovered and no deaths.   The county north of us is still waiting for a case.   Boone county west of us is much bigger at 180,000 population and has Missouri University and a half dozen private and junior collages, plus big regional and smaller hospitals,  has a report of 69 total cases with 36 active, 32 recovered and 1 death. No new cases even with expanded testing. 

Yesterday we had 239,009 infected and 5,784 deaths.
Today, we sit at 273,880 infected and 7,077 deaths in the US.

This is up 34,871 new infected and 1293 new deaths, since yesterday.
Today's number is double what is was five days previous.

The death rate continues steady at 2.5% of the infected.
This doubling every 5 days remains consistent since I started tracking in on March 4.
This means 550,000+ infected and 13,750+ dead another five days from now.

Nurses here are issued a N95 mask and they use cloth gowns and wash them for reuse.
I suspect the "sold out" and "out of stock" at the retail level is an intentional redirection of these critical items to the medical community.
That is speculation on my part.

Eastern Star ladies, some Job's Daughters girls and other crafty ladies are sewing masks by hand.
Joanne's Fabrics has made the fabric and instructions available.

Even if everybody stays home 100%, the expansion will continue another 14 days as the asymptomatic infected bloom.
The deaths will continue to rise until all those infected either survive or die.

21 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

DC - wear it.  They probably won't even bat an eye.  Now a year ago they'd have called the cops on ya.

I saw several at Costco the other day with bandanas and such.

Exactly. I used to have to hurry in and out of the bank when I’d hold them up. Now I look just like everyone else and the tellers think I’m joking. It’s making my job a lot harder 

Archived