SASS Wire Forum

Uberti screw size? Now with furniture pic.

Hendo

20200403_130404.thumb.jpg.e1daa62d1001e9619faad9271a322dea.jpgSo, I've torn my rifle down to strip off that Candy Apple Red shellac. Getting one of the screws out of the cap on the forearm wasn't as smooth as I would've hoped. It looks like Man Mountain Guissepe put one of the screws in and kinda mucked it up. I don't have a tap and die in that size and will probably have to order them up.

Anybody know the correct size?

Also a big shout out to Long Hunter for the quick shipping and service for the spring parts for my rifle.

You wanting to replace a screw or fix the threads in the cap?

Screw -

I'd just order new cap screws from VTI.   It's their 1873 rifle drawing - part #283, code UB:202283.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=42&cat=Uberti+1873+Rifle

Yes, those little screws are metric thread.   Believe it's an uncommon size, a 3.5 mm screw with 0.60 mm thread pitch (so, a coarse thread 3.5 mm screw).  

Cap  -

It's expensive.   $45.  Part #216

If VTI is closed due to quarantine, and you just got stuff from LongHunter Supply, call Jared and see if he has spare screws....

Good luck, GJ

19 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You wanting to replace a screw or fix the threads in the cap?

Screw -

I'd just order new cap screws from VTI.   It's their 1873 rifle drawing - part #283, code UB:202283.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=42&cat=Uberti+1873+Rifle

Yes, those little screws are metric thread.   Believe it's an uncommon size, a 3.5 mm screw with 0.60 mm thread pitch (so, a coarse thread 3.5 mm screw).  

Cap  -

It's expensive.   $45.  Part #216

If VTI is closed due to quarantine, and you just got stuff from LongHunter Supply, call Jared and see if he has spare screws....

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the info. I forgot about VTI and might have to get a new screw (or screws), I am thinking I can just clean up the threads on the screw and the retainer. The cap is unscathed so I am good to go, there. I have several more coats of Tru-oil to go, so I have time to fuss with it.

I'll send an email over to LongHunter, too.

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Are you going to show how the furniture work is going?

Only if you promise to remember that I'm an auto mechanic and not Yul.

I'm on the 5th (6th?) coat of Tru-oil and have to buff and clean before the next coat. Uberti has some nice Italian walnut, but they don't really match them up all that well, which is why they shellac them the way they do. It cuts down on production costs. I applied 2 coats of Minwax 231 gunstock stain before starting with the oil. This is only the second long arm stock I've ever done and I'm really nervous about sanding or buffing around the edges. 

20200329_122715.thumb.jpg.449b1afeb2a36587d9f94fe8d7a63309.jpg20200403_174743.thumb.jpg.bf4c4d7c7f4695a186969bcef5e87b18.jpg

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

they shellac them

Umm, polyurethane sprayed on, from my experience putting dings in the finish, then removing finish on several Ubertis.

Nice job protecting the edges! 

Good luck, GJ

46 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Umm, polyurethane sprayed on, from my experience putting dings in the finish, then removing finish on several Ubertis.

Nice job protecting the edges! 

Good luck, GJ

Yeah, shellac is just the kinder sh word I use. :lol:

And thanks for the compliment. 

55 minutes ago, Jessey Hightower said:

The refinished wood looks great. I did my Taylor pistols and am working up the nerve to do my Taylor 73. 

Jessey, that's a nice color.  What type of stain?

7 hours ago, Jessey Hightower said:

The refinished wood looks great. I did my Taylor pistols and am working up the nerve to do my Taylor 73. 

D333364D-93CE-4A95-AA27-D2394C2C653F.jpeg

That came out great!

I did my Cimarrons a couple weeks back and just couldn't help myself. 

20200328_114146.thumb.jpg.d845edf6611cd18730307614a97eab2a.jpg

I don't know how well the pic will come out, but for all intents and purposes, it's a done deal.

I tapped that screw and chased the threads on the crossbar. It holds, but I'm not completely getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. So I am gonna order some new pieces. 

20200407_181457.thumb.jpg.72d9deb6a9bc930a48caf1c8b7f36130.jpg

Archived