SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning C&B Revolvers

Barry Sloe

I've had pretty good results using Eezox at the end instead of Ballistol. Especially in my muzzle loader. FWIW

How well does the dishwasher work for the cylinder and barrel? The electric dishwasher I mean!

9 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How well does the dishwasher work for the cylinder and barrel? The electric dishwasher I mean!

Works pretty well ---- if you don't want to eat or sleep ever again at home !!  :)

If your guns are not showing rust or corrosion then your cleaning and lubrication procedures, however bizarre, are successful.

Focus on results, not process.  Because everyone uses a different process.

As per an old article in Muzzleloader magazine, from many years back, I use plain old blue windshield washer fluid.  No hot water, no dozens of patches, no mixing up a concoction of anything.  Takes about five or six minutes,  I use about six patches, and a once through the barrel with a bronze brush.  At the end of the cleaning, I run a non-petroleum-based "oil" patch through the barrel, and if it is a revolver, into the cylinder, and on the arbor, or cylinder pin.  You can do this the hard, time consuming way, or you can do this the easy way.  My model '92, that I bought back in he 1980's, has a mirror bore, and I have shot it with both smokeless, and black powder, using this method of cleaning. 

Everybody has their own "tried and true" way to clean a blackpowder firearm, and most work just fine.  Some methods are time consuming, and take a while to accomplish.  I've been shooting blackpower firearms, since Moby Dick was a minnow (1965), so I have probably used many/most of the cleaning methods, in the ensuing years.  I even went so far as to buy a cleaning method that you hook up to your kitchen sink faucet, and run a hose out the nearest window, to wash out the bore of the firearm with hot water.  That was a chore, let me tell you. 

I finally found a method that is quick, easy, doesn't require me to mix up anything, and that works. 

Beats a stick in the eye.   

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Weasel Piss :) In a spay bottle is what I use. Powder blaster to dry them if needed. Balistol to oil em up. I shoot subs; Black MZ and APP. 

For both my C&B & 1851 Richard Mason's I take the wood grips off and put them in an ultrasonic cleaner.  Some simple green, water and 30 minutes later the gun is clean and dry and ready to be lubed and re-assembled.  The guns are only disassembled enough so that they fit in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I started shooting an 1860 Army carried by a neighber's grandad in the conflict of the 1860's.  He was thought by his grandad to take the gun apart and drop in a pan of hot or boiling water.  Let it boil for 10-15 miniets, fish a part out, dry the part, set aside, grab another one, until you have all parts dried, reassemble.   While the pistol is drying clean your rifle or shotgun.

Archived