SASS Wire Forum

Is this supposed to make me feel better?

Utah Bob #35998

Commercials showing videos of Hollywood types isolated in their million dollar houses, estates, and ranches saying, “We’re all in this together”. 

(except we get our executive chef-prepared meals delivered, have a home theater and studio, a wine cellar and a pantry you could park an F150 in)

Oh please. :rolleyes:

"We're in this together".......really? Are they including the folks who can't pay their rent/mortgage, electric/water, food or insurance in their "togetherness"? If so, maybe they would like to help pay the bills of some of these folks to show their good will.

They won't of course. All mouth and no action.

Remember they are actors always acting. Would not want nothing to do with their world.

2 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Yeah, I don't feel too sorry for 'em either...

They will find sympathy in the dictionary between s--t an syphilis.  If we are all in this together I'd like them to leave.  They're breathing air the rest of us can use.

And yet, when this is all over, millions of people will pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch these people pretend to be someone else, say words they are told to say, and do what the director tells them to do, even wear the clothes provided for them for the role, and to watch many people with no real intelligence and nothing to recommend them as human beings play what are essentially kids' games.

Helen Brimstone points out that you forgot to mention their bidets ~ no worries about TP shortages with that bunch.  ^_^

Prob'ly gold-plated, even....  :rolleyes:

1072988980_Bidet-Gold.jpg.b6b42c8b77f20d2f1080b2f4f8e3aa7d.jpg

Those commercials bug me too. Talk about being very out of touch with what is happening. That being said, I never quite understand why the same people that are always talking down about actors and athletes are also constantly extolling the virtues of capitalism. In a capitalist system, these people are the best in the world at what they do and are paid accordingly. They have earned their money because that is what the market dictates. Don't like it? Blame capitalism. Otherwise, sit on your couch and watch their movies like the rest of us are forced to do during these tough times.

I don't get to sit home and watch overpaid people (movie stars, sports figures, talking heads) play at their chosen profession.

I inspect City of Houston construction projects, and this is considered to be an essential industry, so we're all working.

This makes me an Essential Employee.

I sure wish I was paid like I was essential.

At least there's still a paycheck coming in.

Plus, traffic is really light! In Houston, that's a big deal!

Y'all stay safe. And wear a glad rag.

29 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

I don't get to sit home and watch overpaid people (movie stars, sports figures, talking heads) play at their chosen profession.

I inspect City of Houston construction projects, and this is considered to be an essential industry, so we're all working.

This makes me an Essential Employee.

I sure wish I was paid like I was essential.

At least there's still a paycheck coming in.

Plus, traffic is really light! In Houston, that's a big deal!

Y'all stay safe. And wear a glad rag.

Anybody working right now is a hero in my book.

I'll tell ya what irks me:

News stories about the celebreties that are "Giving Back".   Giving Back what?

They donate food and money just like the rest of us, except they call the TV Camera's over 

to show how generous they are.    Makes me sick.

They can't do anything without publicity.   'Take a hike, Hollywood'.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

"We're in this together".......really? Are they including the folks who can't pay their rent/mortgage, electric/water, food or insurance in their "togetherness"? If so, maybe they would like to help pay the bills of some of these folks to show their good will.

They won't of course. All mouth and no action.

All mouth and no action...They need a press conference to let us know what they do not like or that they are going to donate in money...

Texas Lizard

33 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'll tell ya what irks me:

News stories about the celebreties that are "Giving Back".   Giving Back what?

They donate food and money just like the rest of us, except they call the TV Camera's over 

They can't do anything with publicity.   'Take a hike, Hollywood'.

..........Widder

I hear Oprah donated $10 million. That seems like a lot. And it is. But to put it into perspective to a billionaire $10 million is the same as $10,000 to a millionaire, or a dime to me 

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And yet, when this is all over, millions of people will pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch these people pretend to be someone else, say words they are told to say, and do what the director tells them to do, even wear the clothes provided for them for the role, and to watch many people with no real intelligence and nothing to recommend them as human beings play what are essentially kids' games.

You forgot that they will also tell us how to live our lives to their liking!:angry:

35 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

You forgot that they will also tell us how to live our lives to their liking!:angry:

I thought that was a given..........seeing as they are so much smarter and better than all the rest of us.   :angry:

Anyone else remember when the late night "talk shows" were totally devoid of politics, and full of people who would at least entertain and make you laugh?  

Nowadays most are primarily conservative bashing, leftie knotheads.  <_<

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Anyone else remember when the late night "talk shows" were totally devoid of politics, and full of people who would at least entertain and make you laugh?  

Nowadays most are primarily conservative bashing, leftie knotheads.  <_<

Yes, and that’s one you can actually blame on Reagan. Hey, nobody is perfect 

2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Yes, and that’s one you can actually blame on Reagan. Hey, nobody is perfect 

Actually, I was thinking more of Jimmy Fallon and his peers...  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Actually, I was thinking more of Jimmy Fallon and his peers...  :mellow:

yes I figured. Without the elimination of the fairness doctrine, those folks don’t exist

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

They can't do anything without publicity.   'Take a hike, Hollywood'.

Not all of 'em.  Guy Fieri for the past several years, what with the Tubbs Fire, Camp Fire, Kincade Fire, several other major events, and now this economic hit, calls in markers and sets up to get food to firefighters and people who have lost their homes.  Does it without fanfare - local paper picks it up.  He has also used his platform on Food Network to get word out for local charities.   
And Gary Sinise - a true unsung philanthropist.   
I also have to tip my hat to Ellen Degeneres - yes, she uses her show to make a splash, but she also does a lot under the radar.  You only hear about it when someone she has helped breaks silence.

Yes, many of them have to be in the spotlight, and try to tell everyone else how to live and how much to give to what cause.  But a good number go about their good works and don't worry about getting recognition for it.  

Howdy,

The one that realy gets me is Judge Judy.

I like the show and most of the reasons behind verdicts.

But if someone buys a car for $2000 and sells it for  $3000 after

doing a tune up and new brakes....well that's PROFIT and she acts

like its the worst thing she ever saw.

And she is reported to be paid more than the entire Supreme Court.

Best

CR

I’m well aware that there are celebrities with good hearts. Gary Sinese for one.
What I was whining about (and you’ll forgive me if I exercise my right to whine) is the supposedly heart warming commercials being splattered across the tv screen.

I some people feel better about things after seeing them, more power to em I reckon. 
I’m not one of those people.

20 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Those commercials bug me too. Talk about being very out of touch with what is happening. That being said, I never quite understand why the same people that are always talking down about actors and athletes are also constantly extolling the virtues of capitalism. In a capitalist system, these people are the best in the world at what they do and are paid accordingly. They have earned their money because that is what the market dictates. Don't like it? Blame capitalism. Otherwise, sit on your couch and watch their movies like the rest of us are forced to do during these tough times.

I'm not questioning the values of capitalism, I'm questioning the intelligence and sanity of my fellow residents of this tottering old planet.

59 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What I was whining about (and you’ll forgive me if I exercise my right to whine) is the supposedly heart warming commercials being splattered across the tv screen.

Yep.  When those come on I usually go get coffee, pay the rent on the coffee, or kick a tennis ball for the dog.  Those are just virtue signaling to try to make us think that they are also suffering.  

In their mansions. With their staff.  With nothing to worry about except not being in the spotlight.

These actors and such gotta do something to make for their movie incomes.

Regular folks are working (I am) and/or depending on some type of federal/state check.

Robert Michum once said, that acting is easy, you put on a costume, recite some lines and then they give you a whole bunch of money.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Robert Michum once said, that acting is easy, you put on a costume, recite some lines and then they give you a whole bunch of money.

James Cagney said pretty much the same thing.

I was in the doctors office the other day. They had the female communist sympathizer show, “The View”. They had Kim Kardashian on a remote PC camera. Do you know what that ignorant wench’s concerns were? That people in prison weren’t being treated fairly and that she was worried that during this pandemic “we” would overlook all the hardened criminals serving hard time in prison. I kid you not. 

I think we should let some out to stay with her at her compound. 

When I see the celebrities calling a  press conference to announce their giving money to this or that, I am reminded of the wealthy man in the Temple  having trumpets blown to draw attention to his gifts.  It is NOT a mitzvah.  It is profane and has little or no value.  The poor man giving his small amount in silence or in anonymity  gets credit for his mitzvah.  It is a good deed and will be recognized.  JMHO

STL Suomi

Archived