SASS Wire Forum

The Great Toilet Paper Shortage

I heard on the radio that some Texas state official (may have been the AG) went on a rant about maybe changing the labeling requirements for toilet paper. Seems like there's some big company in Mexico that has warehouses busting at the seems with TP but they can't sell it in the US because the packaging is entirely in Spanish, and some idiot reg or law requires English. This official was proposing an exception be made in this particular case on the assumption that most everyone knows how to use toilet paper, and if the HAVE to have labeling in English they have the option NOT to buy it!

JHC :huh:

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, the writer of that first article doesn't have a clue...

I won't get those minutes back.

I agree, I think he's full of it. I can see how the supply chain explanation could play a SMALL role in this mess, but assuming for the sake of argument that a 40% increase in residential use shouldn't lead to a hundred or thousand fold demand.

JHC

spock-illogical1.jpg

30 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I heard on the radio that some Texas state official (may have been the AG) went on a rant about maybe changing the labeling requirements for toilet paper. Seems like there's some big company in Mexico that has warehouses busting at the seems with TP but they can't sell it in the US because the packaging is entirely in Spanish, and some idiot reg or law requires English. This official was proposing an exception be made in this particular case on the assumption that most everyone knows how to use toilet paper, and if the HAVE to have labeling in English they have the option NOT to buy it!

JHC :huh:

A sticker the size of a newspaper page should be able to solve that problem.

We all just need to adjust and listen to Cottonelle....:P

#shareasquare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwQ1metUv2o

I'd thought this nonsense would slack off by now. We are on a grocery run this morning.  Setting on Aldi loy watching people come out with jumbo package of TP. Often just TP. One old guy comes out with TP and puts it in back of van where there is already a jumbo package.  Then heads back in. One per customer.   Sawmill Mary says the checkout line was a mile long.  I don't need TP that bad. 

I been thinking the same thing Warden. So far I've been proven wrong. The groceries still pretty much look like they've been looted. I'd say it's gotten a LITTLE better last week or so, but not much.

JHC

I went to Sam's at 07:15 yesterday where they had 2 lines waiting to get in that stretched to both sides of the building and down the sides. I said "Hell with that" and turned around and went home. I wasn't after paper goods, just some milk, water, instant potatoes and some meat. Went to Publix instead where there was no lines, waiting or shortages....just higher prices than Sam's. They even had toilet paper, napkins and paper towels.....didn't buy any cause we don't need them.

As far as the OP's article.....the same folks who are now taking a dump at home are the same ones who used to take a dump at work. The only difference is that they have to pay for the TP at home out of their pocket unless they stole it from work. This doesn't somehow equate to using more TP.

47 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I been thinking the same thing Warden. So far I've been proven wrong. The groceries still pretty much look like they've been looted. I'd say it's gotten a LITTLE better last week or so, but not much.

JHC

Sawmill Mary says can goods are in short supply and have purchase limits. But my view from the parking lot shows the same people that were just at ALDI are now at Wally-World.   I bet they go from store to store getting their limits.  We just get our normal supply.  She's been baking bread, pies and cookies so we don't get those items. 

What boggles my mind,  family groups going shopping.   Kids out of school so let's go drag a bunch through the stores!  Sawmill Mary uses gloves and uses wipe when removed.   I stay in truck as I often do anyway. So this cuts our exposure in half. 

Costco here had plenty of toilet paper as of last weekend. 30-roll packs and one thereof per customer. That was Saturday. The next day a daughter-in-law went and reported the same.

Local Safeway still out, though I bought a 6-pack there about 10 days ago early in the morning. 

I've heard the stores here have a good supply of generic TP now. I haven't been to town for three weeks, so no first-hand knowledge of that. 

Archived