SASS Wire Forum

A bit of recent history

Too Tall Bob

On this day in 1973 - 1st mobile phone call is made in downtown Manhattan, NYC by Motorola employee Martin Cooper to the Bell Labs headquarters in New Jersey. 

This act began the greatest enslavement of human beings EVER!  Even the Pharos in Egypt couldn’t match the control of people that the cell phone has. 
(comment posted via my cell phone)

When I first started selling cellular phones in the early 80’ I was selling mobile units, mounted in the vehicle for $3,500.00 and up per phone and the phone company would pay a $500.00 per phone commission for adding them to their system. I made a lot of money back then and nowadays they give them away and don’t pay hardly anything for putting them on their system. I sold 26 cellular phones to a big construction company in Phoenix and made $13,000.00 just in add on commission, I thought it would never end, but it did.

I saw a guy in CVS the other talking on his  wrist watch.

The first thing I thought of was Dick Tracy.

The second thing I thought was "Where is my flying car?"

54 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

These things were out when I was a kid.  Only rich people and drug dealers had them, though.  

I had one of those bag phones!  Installed in the car, removable if you had to go somewhere on foot.  Boy, did I feel special.  Looking back, it was for the most part silly.  Today I shut my phone off unless I need to make a call; and I mean NEED, not just to chat.

LL

5 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Today I shut my phone off unless I need to make a call; and I mean NEED, not just to chat.

LL

Now I know why I can't ever reach you.:P:D

I use my phone like LL does. It is never turned on. When I go on trips, I call Hubby. When I have vehicle trouble, I call AAA. Last time I had a flat on the road to town, there was no cell service in Fiddletown, where I pulled over. A kind gentleman asked if he could help. I explained my predicament. He said he was headed past Rory's (our local AAA tow service...) and would tell them where I was. B)

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

My cell phone is on the 'do not disturb' mode always. People on my contact list can get through, but no one else. I use my cell for one thing. make calls, but occasionally I will check the temp.

There's been quite a few people that I would have liked to check their temperature with their cell phones.

I only have an old flip phone and don't feel enslaved at all. I can talk on it and text on it; that's all. And the texting on those old phones ain't easy, so you keep them short.

You could take a photo with it, but it wouldn't amount to much.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

There's been quite a few people that I would have liked to check their temperature with their cell phones.

The temp outside. Its very important as you get older to make sure the temp outside is tolerable.:D

Archived