SASS Wire Forum

When boredom strikes the gun room

Turkey Flats Jack

I've been wanting to make a pair of short barreled Remingtons for a long time now. Had to teach myself how to weld with a wire before I could do it the way I wanted. Probably should have practiced for another year before I started this project lol. But all in all I'm happy with the progress I've made so far. Still a lot of cleaning and sanding the loading lever to get it where im completely happy with it.  I'm still debating on to leave it a plow handle or to make it into a birds head. I'm gonna leave it be and start the other one before I make that final decision. I'll be turning down the hammers also. Haven't decided on if I'll heat and bend them or cut and weld. I'm leaning towards bending as I'm not happy with my welding yet. 

IMG_20200402_213720410.jpg

That's cool.  I'm thinking of getting a Ishapore .410 to try and get it shooting.  I would mess up a project like yours, but I don't think I can hurt a rusty "as is, u fix 'em" converted .303 Enfield.

• 1 month later...

Slow progress but I've gotten a little more work done on the 58. Finally settled on a shape for the grip frame. Flattened out the leading edge and rounded the palm swell area. Similar to a birds head grip. It'll be difficult for me to make the grips but it'll keep me busy for a while. It's oddly comfortable to me. 

IMG_20200509_195909132.jpg

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

TFJ you're a man of many talents!  How's the loading lever going?

lol it's exactly how you saw it in the previous picture. I know my limits if I kept going on it, it would turn to poop. I had to move to something else and stop over thinking/working it. I'll probably go back to getting it all cleaned up and smoothed out before working on the wood.  

Very nice, Jack!

You have to make a new set of holsters too, you know...   :lol:

24 minutes ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Very nice, Jack!

You have to make a new set of holsters too, you know...   :lol:

Nope they'll fit in the ones I use for the Mrs' 22's. lol.

Actually i've been planning on doing this for so long I already ordered the holsters for them. Waiting on a full rig for my 8" barreled 58's and an extra matching set of holsters for the 4" ones. I might have it and one of these pistols finished in time for the indoor matches this winter lol. 

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

lol it's exactly how you saw it in the previous picture. I know my limits if I kept going on it, it would turn to poop. I had to move to something else and stop over thinking/working it. I'll probably go back to getting it all cleaned up and smoothed out before working on the wood.  

Are you going to make new grips or refinish/reshape the old ones?

21 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Are you going to make new grips or refinish/reshape the old ones?

I have a nice piece of maple that I'm gonna try to some from but I  haven't fully committed on the finish yet. If I decide to go with nickel plate i'll probably repurpose the walnut grips. 

4 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I have a nice piece of maple that I'm gonna try to some from but I  haven't fully committed on the finish yet. If I decide to go with nickel plate i'll probably repurpose the walnut grips. 

Nickel plate, really?  You're killing me I love nickel plate.  Please don't tell me that you're going to that yourself too.  You better prepare yourself to make another one so you can have a matched pair.

12 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Nickel plate, really?  You're killing me I love nickel plate.  Please don't tell me that you're going to that yourself too.  You better prepare yourself to make another one so you can have a matched pair.

Yeah i'm giving it serious thought. I've picked up everything I need to do it and practiced on some random scrap metal. The goal is to have a pair when it's all said and done but i'm going to do one all the way through before starting the next. If ,and it's a big if, I can get everything smooth as glass i'll give nickel plating a try on them. If I cant then i'm leaning heavily towards a color case hardening the entire frame and charcoal blue the barrel and ram. 

Wow, you're turning into my hero, I respect someone who tries new things and keeps at it until they like the result.  I hope you're planning on posting some pictures as you go along.  I know I'm interested in seeing how it goes, and I'm sure there are lots of others here too.

40 minutes ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Need elk horn grips.  It would only be right.

Dutch is right, TFJ!

I know where there's an elk that's not being used at the moment and Hagan would love to loan it to you!  :lol:

Archived