SASS Wire Forum

I Need A Haircut

Yul Lose

10 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

My barber has been closed going on 3 weeks now and I can’t find any of them open, I’d kind of think they were an essential service. My Doctor is going to do a visual office visit in a few minutes via FaceTime but that probably won’t work for a hair cut:D. Anyone else getting shaggy?

Yeah.  Ain't it great?  :P

So I got an email today from Reina de Corazones.  Seems her hubby had spotted me recently on an early mornin' foraging expedition, and reported back that I "...was rockin' the whole cave man look."  

Well poop.  And here I was, thinkin' more along the lines of The Wild Man of Borneo! :(

unnamed.jpg.9f151e3b08eef528a91196b2a42ee5aa.jpg

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There were many years that I went to barbers. They talk too much, ask too many questions, none of their business, complain about how thick my hair is AND expect a tip.

never again.

That’s the reason I like going to my barber. I like to visit with people and I’ve been visiting with him for 32 years this year. I’ve watched his kids grow up and he’s always complimented me on my thick head of hair. In 1992 after a couple of major spinal operations I was in a hospital bed in my living room unable to go anywhere and trying to regain strength for the last operation a couple of months off he came out to the house and gave me a haircut multiple times and wouldn’t let my wife pay him for it. 

7 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I had completely forgotten about that. It explains a lot!

All this talk about home haircuts gave me a brilliant flash of childhood recollections.  

Must have been around 1960 or so.  We had a utility room in the basement of our split level house in Warminster, PA.  Water heater in one corner, washer and dryer along one wall, canned food storage (with the gallon jugs of homemade Dad's Root Beer) in the other corner, and a combination step stool-chair.

The Kenmore washer and dryer had seen better days.  Mom and Dad lived through the Great Depression, and nothing got replaced until it had been fixed so many times that further repairs were impossible.  I can see Dad on his hands and knees in front of that dryer, dropping out the panel that covered the heating element, finding a busted coil, and twisting the ends together to restore the circuit.  Even the outside of the machines were well-worn.  No problem; a couple of cans of spray enamel (Pink, no less) and Mom had a "new" laundry.  

And the chair (see image below).  Every 4th Saturday night, in anticipation of Church on Sunday, Dad would pull out that chair, sit me in it, drape a sheet over me, and get out the buzzer - an ancient set of electric hair clippers that sounded like a nest of angry bees.  Never failed to catch and pull a hair on every pass.  But for a crew cut, fast, cheap and within his skill set.

I can see that room and that chair like I just saw them yesterday.  Man, what a flashback.

LL

stepstool.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:22 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"As Seen On TV~!"

Can there be any better testament that that??  ^_^

This guy was featured on some TV news program this morning...  :)

He shoulda started with the brow hedge.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

All this talk about home haircuts gave me a brilliant flash of childhood recollections.  

Must have been around 1960 or so.  We had a utility room in the basement of our split level house in Warminster, PA.  Water heater in one corner, washer and dryer along one wall, canned food storage (with the gallon jugs of homemade Dad's Root Beer) in the other corner, and a combination step stool-chair.

The Kenmore washer and dryer had seen better days.  Mom and Dad lived through the Great Depression, and nothing got replaced until it had been fixed so many times that further repairs were impossible.  I can see Dad on his hands and knees in front of that dryer, dropping out the panel that covered the heating element, finding a busted coil, and twisting the ends together to restore the circuit.  Even the outside of the machines were well-worn.  No problem; a couple of cans of spray enamel (Pink, no less) and Mom had a "new" laundry.  

And the chair (see image below).  Every 4th Saturday night, in anticipation of Church on Sunday, Dad would pull out that chair, sit me in it, drape a sheet over me, and get out the buzzer - an ancient set of electric hair clippers that sounded like a nest of angry bees.  Never failed to catch and pull a hair on every pass.  But for a crew cut, fast, cheap and within his skill set.

I can see that room and that chair like I just saw them yesterday.  Man, what a flashback.

LL

stepstool.jpg

One of my parents' favorite tales was when they gave me a home cut when I was a LITTLE guy (I don't remember) but seems it didn't go well and put a sock cap on me until it grew back..

JHC :lol:

What's this "haircut" thing that all Y'all keep talking about?

50 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

What's this "haircut" thing that all Y'all keep talking about?

Some years ago, grew mine out and donated 11" to an outfit that wanted gray hair for older chemo patients. Drove me BSC, couldn't wait to get it cut off. My hair (at least used to be) VERY curly. Tangled like h*ll and it never did before. It still does for some strange reason years after I cut it. Guess the good Lord didn't mean for me to have long hair. Or a beautiful full beard. Mine just gets scragglier the longer it gets.

JHC

23 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

For those of you waiting for your barber to open, who is this?

816C9648-7FDA-4D2C-A1B3-81B4A2392D04.jpeg

Some dude that now has a head full of tumbleweed stickers that are going to be a bit** to get out! (I know from personal experience after falling into a patch while running with my dogs.)

Broke down and gave myself a haircut, over the sink, with the #3 attachment on the new clippers.

It's not too bad, but you know the difference between a good haircut and a poor one?

About a day.

My son in law that’s 3 years older than me brought the Flowbee over. I call him my barber that’s 3 years older than me, now.

C6E952AC-C9BE-4E4C-A0C7-E7CF2EA80DFB.jpeg

09CCC29F-A0C3-456C-874C-30794614CA8B.jpeg

3233A625-431D-4A45-B266-814D843BDBA9.jpeg

I’m a barber.

810D3578-C43F-43CD-9534-84B473193B40.jpeg

So the question of the hour is:

To do a haircut solo, which would be best ~ Flowbee, or clippers with "comb" spacers?  :huh:

I'd rather not end up with a poodle cut.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

To do a haircut solo, which would be best ~ Flowbee, or clippers with "comb" spacers?  :huh:

The Flowbee took awhile, I’ll bet the clippers would be much faster. It looks like it would be hard to screw up your haircut using a Flowbee but getting it all cut right by yourself may be problematic. One slip with the clippers and you may be doing a restyle. Barbering ain’t my favorite thing to do.

I can cut my own hair but am thinking about saving the money I would have spent on hair and nails (to play an instrument) to give to my techs when they are open again...help them to get back on their feet. Am thinking about those who are missing their tip income, some in my extended family.

About 18 years ago I had a hair stylist renting one of my apartments and she was going through some rough times and money was getting tight for her. I was single at the time and she did my hair for free, she was a big girl but very nice to look at, and she had a good group of men that would come see her for there hair cuts. So one day she was talking to me about ways to increase her income at her solon. I said  Why don't you offer topless hair cuts for the men. I said they would be lined around the block just to get a trim every other day. She thought about it for a while and checked with the city counsel, most counsel men liked the idea but informed her there was a city law against it.  Damn.  

Well... reckon I ain't the only shaggy one out here.  I spent a goodly part of my morning trying to find a clippers set - no joy.  Everyone is sold out!  Even Wahl's corporate site sez nothing available.  Amazon might be able to deliver some brand I've never heard of by April 30.  Maybe.  :huh:

Time to start digging through some closets and see if I can find the old Wahl pet clipper I put away a bunch of years ago.  :(

On 4/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Broke down and gave myself a haircut, over the sink, with the #3 attachment on the new clippers.

It's not too bad, but you know the difference between a good haircut and a poor one?

About a day.

More like a week, but who cares?

On 4/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But you'd be so CUTE!!!   :P  :lol:

Dad cut our hair as kids...up until we were old enough to work and pay for our own cuts.  Hence the buzz cuts from the time I was six until I was 13 or so.  

As evidence, I offer the below photo from approximately 1968, of myself, my little brother and my great grandma...

DELLA, DAVID AND MARK.jpg

On 4/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just keep yer hat on, no one will know the difference!

JHC :lol:

I hadn't had a haircut since last June and it was getting long. When I shampooed , the front went down to my bottom lip. So I grabbed a handful and scissors and cut across the eyebrows. Then each side above the ears. I left the back alone, can't see or reach proper. Now I'm wearing a mullet I guess, Business in the front and Party in the back. Don't go anywhere, so who cares. It will grow out a bit and I'll have it trimmed up right proper then. Just sayin'

Big Jake #1001

Archived