SASS Wire Forum

Fight Corona

Yusta B.

My daughter & some of her friends are sewing face masks for the local ER. These are fabric & have a pocket for inserting replaceable filters.

We all need to try and help our hospitals and care givers deal with the current situation. PM me if you would like a pattern.

https://www.sharmanssewingcenter.com/projectmask.html

8 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

My daughter & some of her friends are sewing face masks for the local ER. These are fabric & have a pocket for inserting replaceable filters.

We all need to try and help our hospitals and care givers deal with the current situation. PM me if you would like a pattern.

Excellent.

Sassy teamed up with some other ladies around the area last weekend to be a part of a  "mask project".  Initial frustration on Sunday finding her portable sewing machine, which had not been used in many years, needing repairs,   She locating a repair person in Paris Monday morning and was making mask by the afternoon.  I know she has made a pile of masks and with materials that should make most any person happy, cowboy/girl or even an Aggie or UT fan.  She is getting help from Grand kids too.  Grayson, 9, is really getting the hang of it.  She loaded up the unit last night and carried it to Paris to use while she "sits" with three granddaughters.  Couple of them should really have fun cutting elastic and material. 

I think my job is still to reload which I am probably better at than sewing.

depending upon WHO we listen to or what time of day, some of the precautions we need to take

seem to be constantly changing.

Last evening, one of the news channels (FOX) had a couple 'experts' on there who now believe

even a typical, dust mask is better than nothing, the kind some of us wear while mowing

the grass.

Some say the virus can be airborne for period of time and even a cheap mask could capture

it and help prevent someone from getting it.    You notice the word 'could help'.

I'm not convinced much of anything is a 'guarantee' of prevention at this time.

But precautions need to be heeded.

There's a possibility that even though this virus is pretty strong, there have been comments

on some news shows that its believed some folks are immune to it... period.

Bless their heart.

..........Widder

Ah h-e-double hockey sticks... And here I thought I might win, down to my last six-pack, I'll get that Corona licked yet!

OLG, doesn't matter if it actually helps or not... sometimes one just needs to do SOMETHING!

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Those do not stop the virus:excl:

You need at minimum a N-95 mask for that.

PLZ do some research.....

OLG 

Actually I am in the medical field, and I have read BUT I am not about to tell Sassy or anyone else putting all this effort in making mask that it could be a waste of time.  Truth is, I do not believe a total waste..little is better than nothing. And, N-95 not readily available to everyone

I bet they're better than the dirty old red bandanna I been using.... :ph34r: :D

My son works in a hospital. Found out today that he has been very busy lately (specialty tech) working on patients that have tested positive. He wears an N-95 during the procedures. He no longer wears his scrubs home, changes at work then when he gets home, he takes all his clothes off in the garage and puts them directly in the washer. Grandson is staying with his mothers parents till things settle down. Another friend is an ER nurse at the same hospital. The standard (non N-95 mask) is very helpful because it keeps you from spreading germs to other people. She wears one any time she leaves the house now because she doesn't know if she has been infected (can't test them every day after their shift) and doesn't want to take any chances. $hit is getting real here. Anything you put between you and the virus is helpful. My wife is sewing masks, as some have mentioned earlier with a pocket to add some type of filter.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

According to my research, they have some uses. 

1.  As was mentioned, when you're out of N95's something is better than nothing.  It's not like they're choosing to make non N95s when they are capable of making N95s.

2.  Some hospitals are rationing the N95s by putting a regular mask over the top of them, which allows them to reuse the N95.  Or more precisely, continue using the N95.  PPEPE.  Personal Protective Equipment Protective Equipment. 

3.  The non N95 masks can be given to people who don't really need masks to make them feel better while the N95s go to medical professionals. 

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Some hospitals are rationing the N95s by putting a regular mask over the top of them, which allows them to reuse the N95.  Or more precisely, continue using the N95. 

This is what the hospital my daughter works at is doing. With elective surgeries shut off the surgical techs are being shipped up to the other floors to help out. 

4 minutes ago, Doc X said:

This is what the hospital my daughter works at is doing. With elective surgeries shut off the surgical techs are being shipped up to the other floors to help out. 

Yeah I saw a gif on another forum of someone suiting up with basically 2 layers of everything.  A nurse chimed in and explained what was going on and an EMT said they're doing something similar. 

She was pretty unimpressed with wearing the N95. They dig into the face to seal and are very uncomfortable to wear for any period of time. One more hardship these folks are enduring.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

That's interesting - the hospitals are VERY thankful to receive them ...... They must know how to insert filter material into the mask pocket.

I'm a Respiratory Therapist. At work we use a PAPR. My wife is making a bunch of cloth masks for me to give out to co-workers so we have something to wear when we leave the hospital. 

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I bet they're better than the dirty old red bandanna I been using.... :ph34r: :D

That's what I wear. I even tried to hold up a bank the other day with mine on and nobody even flinched. All the other times people run and hide, but I guess now I fit in and look too normal for petty heists.

16 minutes ago, Youngblood said:

This is a great idea.  Yes, I would like a pattern.  send to reyyer@msn.com

Thanks pard.

Youngblood

https://www.sharmanssewingcenter.com/projectmask.html

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

N95s don't stop viruses either.

The common misconception is that the mask is to help you not get it. The real point is to help not spread it.The face covering helps stop the spread by preventing an infected person from aerosolizing it via droplets in coughs and sneezes etc.

With that said, any mask is better than no mask as it can also capture droplets and help prevent it from entering. Although if we really want to be effective we'd all need a mask like the asian countries that are used to battling SARs and MERs

My wife is upstairs right now making more masks for the nursing home she is now retired from. She made and delivered 18 last week. They emailed her today asking if she could make more. She made several more for friends and family.

My wife is a retired RN and my daughter is a RN in a cath lab. I am happy to see everyone helping our health care workers.  keep them in your prayers. Irish ☘️ Pat

Archived