SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Plainsman

Navy Davey

Looking into shooting a few Plainsman side matches this summer. I watched a match at winter range but could not see the rifle portion. Question what is the average distance to the targets and what is the rifle count one other is there a max power factor/speed.

40-50 yds

4 to 6

no

All depends on where ya shoot.

At Tusco, we ask shooters to reduce their loads some, to help save our targets.

Most of our Plainsman targets are 40-75 yards, but we have a bonus target, shot after the scenario (off the clock) at about 120 yards, which is as far as our plainsman bay goes out. 

I usually write 5-7 rifle shots into each stage.

--Dawg

20 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Most of our Plainsman targets are 40-75 yards, but we have a bonus target, shot after the scenario (off the clock) at about 120 yards, which is as far as our plainsman bay goes out. 

I usually write 5-7 rifle shots into each stage.

--Dawg

So do you use rifle rounds or pistol rounds....Like 45-70 rifle and 45 colt ammo....

Texas Lizard

.45 Colt in a .45-70 would be a sloppy fit with a lot of free bore, and maybe even split when fired. The bullet is also smaller - .452 vs. .458 or .459".

I usually use a .45-70 Handy Rifle with a deep seated bullet, and the only club here that shoots Plainsman sets the targets at around 75 yards. Five shots is normal.

Plainsman.jpg

41 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

.45 Colt in a .45-70 would be a sloppy fit with a lot of free bore, and maybe even split when fired. The bullet is also smaller - .452 vs. .458 or .459".

I usually use a .45-70 Handy Rifle with a deep seated bullet, and the only club here that shoots Plainsman sets the targets at around 75 yards. Five shots is normal.

Plainsman.jpg

Deep seated and using less powder...About right....

Texas Lizard

Like PD says, shoot a light load if shooting a rifle cartridge.  It is easier on the targets.  There is no max power factor but if the rifle targets are falling over you clearly have excessive loads.  I sometimes shoot my 38 Special main match ammo in a baby rolling block.  

TL:

Actually ours is a "modified" Plainsman, in which you can use any SASS legal single shot, or a SASS Legal big bore lever.

BP in all loads.

We do that to get more folks to play.

We see everything from 38 Special single shots to 50-70 rolling blocks.

I usually either shoot an H&R 45-70 (loaded with 35 grains FFg &  .457 RB) or a 45-60 1876 loaded with about 35 grains FFg & a 300 grain bullet.

--Dawg

2 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

TL:

Actually ours is a "modified" Plainsman, in which you can use any SASS legal single shot, or a SASS Legal big bore lever.

BP in all loads.

I usually either shoot an H&R 45-70 (loaded with 35 grains FFg &  .457 RB) or a 45-60 1876 loaded with about 35 grains FFg & a 300 grain bullet.

--Dawg

That's about where I'm at with my H&R. I use 40 gr. FFg with grits filler, a .060 veg. card & a 1/8" wonder wad (home made). Pretty peppy and accurate for the task. Doesn't destroy the targets either. After seeing Dawg's load, I will try 35 gr. next time I reload.

35 grains FFg will shoot a .457 RB like its a laser beam.

For the bonus target, I do shoot a 300 grain bullet, as it carries up pretty well for the 120 yard target.

--Dawg

I have a mould that throws a 210 grain BP bullet sized to .458 that works well in my 45-70 HR, when  use it, but prefer my 38-55 Handi. When we start shooting again I am going to try to get one/both of my kids to shoot Plainsman with my 45 Colt Handi, much shorter and Handi-er :)

3 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

TL:

BP in all loads.

--Dawg

Just happen to have both of them around....45-60 lever, 45-70 lever, 45-75 lever, 45-90 lever....Need to do some playing.....

Thanks for the info....

Texas Lizard

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I have a mould that throws a 210 grain BP bullet sized to .458 that works well in my 45-70 HR, when  use it, but prefer my 38-55 Handi. When we start shooting again I am going to try to get one/both of my kids to shoot Plainsman with my 45 Colt Handi, much shorter and Handi-er:)

Actually, I should correct my information -- for the bonus target, it's a 320 grain big lube Slim sent me a few years back.

Nice little bullet that cycles well in a '76 and is more accurate than I am, with my aged eyes & shaky limbs!

Thanks Slim!

BigLube__element107__0.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Just happen to have both of them around....45-60 lever, 45-70 lever, 45-75 lever, 45-90 lever....Need to do some playing.....

Thanks for the info....

Texas Lizard

TL:

Come out to Tusco first weekend in October !!!

I'll pick up your shoot fee!

--Dawg

My part of Texas most are 60-75 yds. 
i shoot an original trapdoor Carbine , made in 1874. It won’t shoot Reduced loads worth a hoot. But 405s with a full case of APP works well. 
One club (old Fort Parker) has really close targets, 30 -40 yds. Some a tad closer. I punish those a bit, Bent Barrel Betty used to fuss at me. so I bought them a sheet of steel for new targets.  

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

TL:

Come out to Tusco first weekend in October !!!

I'll pick up your shoot fee!

--Dawg

What country, I mean state is that in...Later that month will be going Bordertown....If nothing happens this time...

Texas Lizard

8 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I have a mould that throws a 210 grain BP bullet sized to .458 that works well in my 45-70 HR, when  use it, but prefer my 38-55 Handi. When we start shooting again I am going to try to get one/both of my kids to shoot Plainsman with my 45 Colt Handi, much shorter and Handi-er :)

Slim, I got some of these from you. I loaded some over around 40 grains of 2F (I can't remember which Lee dipper I used), and I used caulk backer rod as filler, as you suggested. They shoot great (and very pleasantly) out of my Henry single-shot.

36 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

What country, I mean state is that in...Later that month will be going Bordertown....If nothing happens this time...

Texas Lizard

It will be a bit of a drive - Dawg lives in Ohio  :)

I shoot with Prairie Dawg in Ohio.  My "Go-To" rifle is an H&R Handi Rifle in 38-55.  I like the EPP UG - 36, as cast (Thanks Slim) .380 over some 2f APP.  RINGS the rifle steel with regularity.  Have never hit the 120 Yard Bonus target.  I think it dodges.

I am adding a new H&R Handi Rifle this season (It really is new) in 44 Manglem.  If we actually have a "season."  Season some abbreviated so far.

I use a Browning (Miroku) 1885 in 45 Colt.  30 grains Goex "Cartridge" under a RCBS 45-225-CAV cast bullet flies like it's on a string.  

16 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

I tell you what. No offense intended, but when the people that were running the plainsman event at a local annual made that statement I withdrew from the event. If someone wants to shoot downloaded ammo more power to them. But don't put up targets that won't handle what is expected to be shot from a single shot big bore then ask people to load down to pistol ammo levels. Just not the way I think the game is meant to be played nor the way I want to play the game.

Maybe you did not understand the reasoning for down loading the ammo.  At Tusco we do not have any big bore targets to use for Plainsman match.  We have to use the regular main match rifle targets and stands set out at 30 or 50 yards.  One hit with a full house 45-70 would knock the stand over backwards and beat up the target steel.  If you are lucky to have big bore targets at your range then I can understand using full house loads with targets at longer distances.  We would not be able to have Plainsman match using your criteria.  You have to play by the rules that are written at each individual club or not play at all.

Looks like Coffinmaker's stirrin' the pot again.

That reminds me of a great Quote from Clint Eastwood as "Joe" in  A Fistful of Dollars, to the old undertaker:

"Get 3 coffins ready"................... then a bit later after the gunfight, "My mistake, 4 coffins."

Great movie, great line.

4 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Looks like Coffinmaker's stirrin' the pot again.

That reminds me of a great Quote from Clint Eastwood as "Joe" in  A Fistful of Dollars, to the old undertaker:

"Get 3 coffins ready"................... then a bit later after the gunfight, "My mistake, 4 coffins."

Great movie, great line.

Yes sir!

Looks like the moderators pulled my reply to Coffinmaker's post. And rightly so. I wanted to apologize for the way I had responded. It hit me wrong what was directed at me and I replied half PO'd. I certainly should have defended my position with more tact. Again, I am sorry, not for defending my position, but for the crass way in which I did it.

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Looks like the moderators pulled my reply to Coffinmaker's post. And rightly so. I wanted to apologize for the way I had responded. It hit me wrong what was directed at me and I replied half PO'd. I certainly should have defended my position with more tact. Again, I am sorry, not for defending my position, but for the crass way in which I did it.

Here's the Goody I remember shooting with .....

Archived