SASS Wire Forum

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC?

Johnny Prince

Any other cow pokes playing Red Dead on pc to pass time while we wait for the bug to pass?  Thought if there are I would love to play with other SASS members.

my social name is the same, “Johnny-Prince“.  Send an invite.

There are still PC games?...That’s great!

I have a Play Station 3. Yeah, it’s a few years old, but I never got the hang of playing games on their controllers. 
It also seems that all games are now on line and I guess I am just not interested in playing games with strangers. Especially when most of those strangers are little kids. Haha :lol:

I remember I was playing Call of Duty online and the squad I was teamed up with all had to quit because their Mom’s were making them either go to bed or finish their homework. What a weird circumstance. :lol:

Thinking about it, I don’t even have a PC any more. I have a crappy laptop and I do everything on my phone now...except play games. I may have to look into this. 

Thanks Johnny Prince. :)

(XBOX One) I haven't delved into RDR2 Online yet. Played the story several times though. Love that game! I think part of the reason why I haven't tried Online yet is because in the past when I've tried to play games online, I just end up getting angry and frustrated with griefers. I don't know how bad that is in RDR2 Online, but I can imagine it being really bad.

I'm a late bloomer, and just recently downloaded GTAV and have been playing that a lot the last few days. It's also been a great game. I can't really do FPS games because I end up getting motion sick pretty quickly, but the 3PV games seems like I can play for hours without issue for the most part.

1 hour ago, Dude Slade said:

(XBOX One) I haven't delved into RDR2 Online yet. Played the story several times though. Love that game! I think part of the reason why I haven't tried Online yet is because in the past when I've tried to play games online, I just end up getting angry and frustrated with griefers. I don't know how bad that is in RDR2 Online, but I can imagine it being really bad.

The PC version is much better.. Most people just tip their hat and say howdy.. I have run into 95% really cool people.  Unlike console.. Just an older crowd I think.

1 hour ago, Dude Slade said:

> snip <

online, I just end up getting angry and frustrated with griefers. I don't know how bad that is in RDR2 Online, but I can imagine it being really bad.

> snip <

I think this has gotten much better recently but ... if you relax one will pop up sometimes ... Playing in a posse solves a lot of those problems.

When I see a horse with an overly ornate saddle parked somewhere ... I just keep a shotgun inhand.   

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the game that finally pushed me over to joining SASS.  I still play Red Dead Online just about daily on PS4.  RDO for PC can be pretty bad with all the hackers. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Prince said:

The PC version is much better.. Most people just tip their hat and say howdy.. I have run into 95% really cool people.  Unlike console.. Just an older crowd I think.

Do you have to play online or can you just play the computer?

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you have to play online or can you just play the computer?

There's a storyline you can play that is not online. That's what I've been doing, and it's really amazing.

4 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I think this has gotten much better recently but ... if you relax one will pop up sometimes ... Playing in a posse solves a lot of those problems.

When I see a horse with an overly ornate saddle parked somewhere ... I just keep a shotgun inhand.   

I may have to jump in and give it a whirl soon. :)

1 minute ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Obviously you will need to buy the software, but do you need special controllers to play it on a PC?

No ... not really ... 

You would need a decent video card. I use a mouse with a few extra (programmable) buttons on it.

AND ... I have one of the buttons on the mouse programmed to pull a shotgun ... (loaded w/ incendary buckshot) which has saved me many times (cougar/wolf/bear/griefer attacks).

When I first started you needed a bodyguard to go fishing (someone would shoot you in the back ... or worse) but IMHO the player base has really settled down/matured.  

I would agree w/ Johnny or that one ... You would most likely get a hat tip and hello these days. I have even seen players step in and help others in dire situations and then simply ride off ... not even loot dead bodies after a fight ... nothing in it for them other than to help the person out. 

There are lots of youtube videos w/ recommendations on play/tactics/making money and PC setup/requirements. Some of the videos are hilarious and fun to watch just to see what people are doing and things that have happened to them. 

The game is just a hoot ... the scenery is amazing ... etc ... The Winchester 73 in this game is called a "Lancaster Repeater" ... the pump shotgun is a '97 clone (but they don't say it). Pinkerton tried to sue them in the original version because they were insulted by their depiction so they don't use "that" name anymore ... :P

54 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

No ... not really ... 

You would need a decent video card. I use a mouse with a few extra (programmable) buttons on it.

AND ... I have one of the buttons on the mouse programmed to pull a shotgun ... (loaded w/ incendary buckshot) which has saved me many times (cougar/wolf/bear/griefer attacks).

When I first started you needed a bodyguard to go fishing (someone would shoot you in the back ... or worse) but IMHO the player base has really settled down/matured.  

I would agree w/ Johnny or that one ... You would most likely get a hat tip and hello these days. I have even seen players step in and help others in dire situations and then simply ride off ... not even loot dead bodies after a fight ... nothing in it for them other than to help the person out. 

There are lots of youtube videos w/ recommendations on play/tactics/making money and PC setup/requirements. Some of the videos are hilarious and fun to watch just to see what people are doing and things that have happened to them. 

The game is just a hoot ... the scenery is amazing ... etc ... The Winchester 73 in this game is called a "Lancaster Repeater" ... the pump shotgun is a '97 clone (but they don't say it). Pinkerton tried to sue them in the original version because they were insulted by their depiction so they don't use "that" name anymore ... :P

the Lancaster is actually a 66. The Litchfield is a Henry with a big loop lever. And they still use Pinkerton in the game. 

18 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

the Lancaster is actually a 66. The Litchfield is a Henry with a big loop lever. And they still use Pinkerton in the game. 

You're right ... thanks for the correction.

I haven't seen a Pinkerton in the online game ... only Revenue Agents. Never paid a great deal of attention to them until I started making deliveries and encountering their roadblocks.

There is an article https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/18306654/take-two-rockstar-red-dead-redemption-2-pinkerton-trademark-lawsuit-voluntarily-dismissed  about the dropped lawsuit. 

1 minute ago, Patagonia Pete said:

You're right ... thanks for the correction.

I haven't seen a Pinkerton in the online game ... only Revenue Agents. Never paid a great deal of attention to them until I started making deliveries and encountering their roadblocks.

There is an article https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/18306654/take-two-rockstar-red-dead-redemption-2-pinkerton-trademark-lawsuit-voluntarily-dismissed  about the dropped lawsuit. 

I think you are right. I haven't seen them online either. Only in the main story game. I hadn't played it very much until all this started happening. Now I am back to playing. The story really is like a good Western series. The biggest problem I have with the game is spending too much time customizing my guns and not really playing the game haha. Speaking of guns, online they added an 1851 to go with the poncho. Certainly makes me happy

Pinkertons are only in the story mode.  The revenue agents were added with the Moonshiner update late last year.  I don't care much for the Moonshiner role.  Just not my thing I guess.  I spend most of my time just ridding around on my horse.  Amazing world to just kill some time in.

For those that are just getting into the story mode you are in for one hell of a game.  Its a great story.  I would just recommend you spend as much time in Chapter 2 as you can.  Take your time and do all the side missions, get all the extra guns, horses and hunt all the Legendary Animals you can before you move on. 

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

> snip <

Speaking of guns, online they added an 1851 to go with the poncho. Certainly makes me happy

> snip <

Yep ... they gave out a free 1851 online a couple of weeks ago. Very cool. :P

17 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

...I have one of the buttons on the mouse programmed to pull a shotgun ... (loaded w/ incendary buckshot) which has saved me many times (cougar/wolf/bear/griefer attacks).

Nothing better than wasting groups of road agents with a shotgun full of incendiary buckshot!

Archived