SASS Wire Forum

what if

Chicago kidd

what is everyones take on the corona virus if it dosnt go away.theres still all the labs with samples of it trying to find a vacine to kill it .how long can we stay cooped up.how warm does it have to get before it goes dorment

It will eventually go away.  If it was named the Clinton virus, that's another matter.

As far as warmth, according to global warming afficianados  we only have about 11 years.  I should still have some TP in stock at that date.

Thats not a bad question, but honestly, I don't feel defeated.....regardless.

I feel that Americans are trying to abide by the restrictions that have been ask of us at this time.

But sooner or later.....its gonna be   "the heck with all this virus crap, I'm opening shop"

The "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead" attitude will surface and we'll take our chances.

If we're gonna get sick, lets go ahead a get sick and get it over with.   Let the docs and scientist

keep working on a cure but we can't stop living.

Right now, we're all just taking a slight detour with a boring vacation.

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

But sooner or later.....its gonna be   "the heck with all this virus crap, I'm opening shop"

The "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead" attitude will surface and we'll take our chances.

If we're gonna get sick, lets go ahead a get sick and get it over with.  

I believe this is not too far into the future; end of April or mid May is my prediction.

1 hour ago, Chicago kidd said:

what is everyones take on the corona virus if it dosnt go away.theres still all the labs with samples of it trying to find a vacine to kill it .how long can we stay cooped up.how warm does it have to get before it goes dorment

I've been reading where some doctors believe viruses like this don't really go dormant in warmer months.  Rather they believe that so many people get spring-summer allergies that pique their immune system, that the virus loses ground.   I thought that was interesting, at least. 

When Trump hoped for an Easter reopening of the economy he based that on how long can we isolate and still retain our economy.  Everyday after that will make it more difficult.  Inflation and/or depression is the enemy after that.  Some knowledgeable people think that it could be mid-July before the pandemic is under control but there are so many variables who can really say.  Can health care maintain their hours and level of exposure and what happen if they can not?  What happens to your ability to feed yourself when or if transportation services are curtailed.  A lot of questions and not many answers and most of the answers I've heard are just WAG.      

social distancing / sheltering in place are just attempts to flatten the curve = slow the rates of infection to the point where emergency services aren’t overwhelmed.

stay healthy, yall

I agree with Tyrel and Widder.   you cannot keep a free people under quarantine indefinately.

I'm cursed with a mind of my own. I see a situation and reason it out and come to my own conclusions.  That's just not my opinion.  In the early 80s I was sent to Pittsburgh to attend a week-long professional development class. At the end the instructor gave an evaluation of each one in the class. He told me straight out I'd not make a good professional because I questioned attorney. He was right. 

I'm convinced the majority of people don't have a mind of their own.  They set back and wait to see what others are thinking and then take off in that direction.  I worked as a photographer at the local newspaper for a short time.  One thing I came away with was this premise.  If you publish an article with two opposing views, people will take the decision first presented and the dismiss the second as just an argument.  Reverse the order and again people will take what was the second opinion.  That's how easily people are lead.

I've posted several more optimistic reports but people don't want to hear it.  

Suck it up, Stick it out. Maintain perspective. Be thankful. Be positive. Look at inconvenience as a challenge. Help others.

In my county we have 0 infections but in my county is a small Chrstian college and a dairy queen and subway.  Not much else.  In the county beside me are 3 cases on each side and 0 in the ones above and below.   The state has 4400 or so.  Georgia needs to get back to work but instead we go to a stay at home order Friday. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

How long can the Trump Hotels and resorts run without guests?

Doubt that has anything to do with any decision making.

There is no such thing as a non- essential job.  Every job is essential for the family that depends on the income.  Killing the economy will do more damage than the virus ever could.  Let individuals make the choice to isolate/distance for themselves. As retired folks my wife and I can accept isolation easily.  Working folks should have the right to make that choice for themselves and their families, not lose their income by government order.

9 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

There is no such thing as a non- essential job.  Every job is essential for the family that depends on the income.  Killing the economy will do more damage than the virus ever could.  Let individuals make the choice to isolate/distance for themselves. As retired folks my wife and I can accept isolation easily.  Working folks should have the right to make that choice for themselves and their families, not lose their income by government order.

How many dead due to Covid-19 is acceptable to you?    Fauci is predicting 100,000-200,00 dead* IF we continue with the lock downs and social distancing, I happen to think (and have read elsewhere) that the numbers from New York City MAY be skewing those projections upward.

Unfortunately as a country, collectively we can no longer be counted on to do the intelligent thing.  One just has look at all the people in NYC who flocked to see the USNS Comfort steam up the Hudson River.  How many of them are carrying Covid-19?  How many will end up infected due to their stupidity?

We have no recent reference to what is going on right now, it looks like the Spanish Flu is the worst the US has seen.  In the U.S., about 28% of the population of 105 million became infected, and 500,000 to 675,000 died (0.48 to 0.64 percent of the population).

*https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/29/fauci-how-many-coronavirus-deaths-in-us-estimate/

35 minutes ago, Chantry said:

How many dead due to Covid-19 is acceptable to you? 

Britain did not stop fighting because civilians were dying from Nazi bombs.  Russians did not surrender Stalingrad because thousands were dying, otherwise the Nazis would never have been stopped.  People have died and will continue to die from the virus.  Your question is the same one used by those to justify gun control;  “If it saves just one life, etc...”

America was founded on individual freedom.  Let Americans exercise their judgement and freedom.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Britain did not stop fighting because civilians were dying from Nazi bombs.  Russians did not surrender Stalingrad because thousands were dying, otherwise the Nazis would never have been stopped.  People have died and will continue to die from the virus.  Your question is the same one used by those to justify gun control;  “If it saves just one life, etc...”

America was founded on individual freedom.  Let Americans exercise their judgement and freedom.

Again, how may deaths are acceptable to you?   Are you ok with some you care about being infected by some idiot college student who decided partying at spring break was more important then worrying about coming down with Covid-19?

Why are you self isolating if you don't feel Covid-19 is a big deal?

5 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Again, how may deaths are acceptable to you?   Are you ok with some you care about being infected by some idiot college student who decided partying at spring break was more important then worrying about coming down with Covid-19?

Why are you self isolating if you don't feel Covid-19 is a big deal?

1. Remember,  at the time these "idiot" college students journeyed down to the beach, our health officials

were not exhibiting the warning signs which they started warning us about 4-5 days later.

2. The Governor and Mayors in Florida were still welcoming the students and the hotels were still

taking their money to stay.

3.  If I remember correctly, when the colleges were closing for spring break, some of them were

telling the students that spring break would go for 2 weeks because of the virus, BUT....."Enjoy 

your long spring break".

4.  AND..... at the time schools were closing for spring break, ALL the shopping malls and theaters were

still open.

Admittedly, there are a lot of idiot college students in our world, but the info we are getting now was

not the same info being given the weekend most of those students were traveling down to Florida.

I might also add that even Churches across America were still having services that same weekend.

It wasn't until the following weekend that Churches started canceling worship services.

So basically, our WHOLE society was reacting to the info we had about the virus.

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You first.  What number is acceptable to you?

The lowest possible number, which means TEMPORARILY staying at home all the time, avoiding groups of people and following the recommendations of the PROFESSIONALS to minimize risk to myself and others if by chance I have Covid-19, but not showing any symptoms.

17 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

It will eventually go away.  If it was named the Clinton virus, that's another matter.

As far as warmth, according to global warming afficianados  we only have about 11 years.  I should still have some TP in stock at that date.

Some places get "warmer" than others... this report just in...

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

1. Remember,  at the time these "idiot" college students journeyed down to the beach, our health officials

were not exhibiting the warning signs which they started warning us about 4-5 days later.

2. The Governor and Mayors in Florida were still welcoming the students and the hotels were still

taking their money to stay.

3.  If I remember correctly, when the colleges were closing for spring break, some of them were

telling the students that spring break would go for 2 weeks because of the virus, BUT....."Enjoy 

your long spring break".

4.  AND..... at the time schools were closing for spring break, ALL the shopping malls and theaters were

still open.

Admittedly, there are a lot of idiot college students in our world, but the info we are getting now was

not the same info being given the weekend most of those students were traveling down to Florida.

I might also add that even Churches across America were still having services that same weekend.

It wasn't until the following weekend that Churches started canceling worship services.

So basically, our WHOLE society was reacting to the info we had about the virus.

..........Widder

It isn't just the college students, although I used that example based on the college student who stated to a news camera that Covid-19 wasn't going to prevent him from partying.

I happen to think the Governor of Florida waited too long to shut down the beaches.

Even now that we do know the dangers of Covid-19 people across the country are refusing to listen to the recommendations of the medical professionals.   And we have some politicians refusing to take actions to protect the people they are responsible for because they hate the current occupant of the White House,.

23 minutes ago, Chantry said:

And we have some politicians refusing to take actions to protect the people they are responsible for because they hate the current occupant of the White House,.

Interesting viewpoint.  I don’t think any politician is responsible for  protecting me.  I think that is my responsibility.  That difference is likely the basis for the difference in our opinions.

42 minutes ago, Chantry said:

It isn't just the college students, although I used that example based on the college student who stated to a news camera that Covid-19 wasn't going to prevent him from partying.

I happen to think the Governor of Florida waited too long to shut down the beaches.

Even now that we do know the dangers of Covid-19 people across the country are refusing to listen to the recommendations of the medical professionals.   And we have some politicians refusing to take actions to protect the people they are responsible for because they hate the current occupant of the White House,.

Chantry, you got that right.

Last week, the Governor of Michigan was refusing to accept information and help because Trump

was involved with endorsing a particular drug.

NOW... that same Governor is asking for that drug to help people in her state.

You guessed it....she is a Democrat and wanted NOTHING to do with Trump except make him

look bad.

Lets ask her HOW MANY lives are acceptable before she stops playing politics with our lives.

I got this information this morning reported by Fox News.

..........Widder

People talk as if every college kid heads down south for Spring Break, not so and fewer this year.

what if some “unbusy” hotels became emergency hospital beds. Don’t need luxury hotels they probably have too much floor to cover per patient. Would have to call up all of the reserve medical personnel to handle the patients.

hopefully the emergency is over before the beds are needed. But if work is started now...

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Chantry, you got that right.

Last week, the Governor of Michigan was refusing to accept information and help because Trump

was involved with endorsing a particular drug.

NOW... that same Governor is asking for that drug to help people in her state.

You guessed it....she is a Democrat and wanted NOTHING to do with Trump except make him

look bad.

Lets ask her HOW MANY lives are acceptable before she stops playing politics with our lives.

I got this information this morning reported by Fox News.

..........Widder

We both know that politicians rarely face the consequences of their decisions.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Interesting viewpoint.  I don’t think any politician is responsible for  protecting me.  I think that is my responsibility.  That difference is likely the basis for the difference in our opinions.

Your veiled insult is duly noted

No insult intended.

There is good evidence that Federal government efforts during the Great Depression of the 1930's actually prolonged the depression.   I think every government official sincerely wants to help now, as they did then.  It's just that Federal programs always have unintended consequences.  Today's Federal efforts to fight the corona virus may actually prolong the problem.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong.

One article on the prolonged Great Depression:

https://centerforindividualism.org/the-new-deal-prolonged-and-worsened-the-great-depression/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKP9iLLK6AIVApSzCh1LFg3zEAAYASAAEgKdgvD_BwE

27 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Your veiled insult is duly noted

How big is that chip on your shoulder? Are you in isolation and just need a good  fight to get your blood pumping or something? You come off that way.

11 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I think every government official sincerely wants to help now

I don't. I think their are a few that truly don't give a damn as long as they survive and get re-elected.

In the Small town  ( 3,708 ) Close to me we have had I Case of COVID 19  and she is Now fully recovered as Of March 31 2020.

She was tested positive on March 14 , none of her family members have Gotten it , Isolation in there Home seems to have worked ...

Jabez Cowboy 

28 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

No insult intended.

There is good evidence that Federal government efforts during the Great Depression of the 1930's actually prolonged the depression.   I think every government official sincerely wants to help now, as they did then.  It's just that Federal programs always have unintended consequences.  Today's Federal efforts to fight the corona virus may actually prolong the problem.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong.

One article on the prolonged Great Depression:

https://centerforindividualism.org/the-new-deal-prolonged-and-worsened-the-great-depression/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKP9iLLK6AIVApSzCh1LFg3zEAAYASAAEgKdgvD_BwE

Then I apologize.

You are correct, the Federal government IS trying to prolong the problem so the hospitals, doctors and other first responders aren't overwhelmed with more patients they can handle and even so some places like NYC are going to be overwhelmed no matter what anyone does.

Quite simply this country was not prepared for something like this because we have not had to deal with anything like this since the Spanish Flu in 1918.   We don't have enough beds, medical personal or ventilators right now.  We can find beds and ramp up production of ventilators and other needed medical equipment, but we don't have enough trained medical personal.

Think of Covid-19 as the beginning of WWII, we weren't ready, it's going to take a little while for the production to ramp up to meet the needed demand and we're under strength in trained people.

How many years did ww1 last? How many people died fighting for us? How about ww2? Korean War? Vietnam? All the wars since? How many dead? How much sacrifice? And all we are asked to do to save the world is sit on our couch and watch tv for a few months but that’s too hard? Maybe we all do deserve to perish. 

Archived