SASS Wire Forum

Dish washer

What do you do when your dish washer catches fire?

Not quite, but the electric heating coil got red hot, melted some plastic storage containers, send out a huge cloud of smoke, and stunk up the whole house.  No plumbers or electricians willing to come out right now, and I can't see how to replace it myself.

So much for the" heated dry" cycle.

I've got a pretty darn good reliable dishwasher................ME!!:lol:

The same coil that dries the dishes is also the one that heats the water to 140 degrees. 

40T it is possible that one or more plastic items got dislodged from the top rack and fell down to the bottom rack?

Forty-

Dishwashers are normally fairly easy to swap out.  A couple of screws at the top secure it to the underside of the counter and then it pulls right out.  Detach the water line and unplug it, slide a new one in.  I've had a harder time installing a washer or dryer.  Or, as suggested, maybe go to Lowe's and buy a new one with installation included.

Or do the dishes by hand in the sink. That way you accomplish two things: you get clean dishes and you wash your hands for a longer than normal period of time... :D

My wife and I are giving our dishwasher to her mom. There's only the two of us, so we don't generate too many dirty dishes...

No plastic touching it.  Looked like the coil itself was covered in something (soap deposits maybe?) and the cooked off.  Already turned off the two heated dry settings and it appears to be working.

Some of you folks sure are loose when it come to spending my money.   Who do you think you are, the government?   :angry:  ;)  That's a $500.00 machine.  I ain't gonna shoot it full of holes.  Now, if one of you philanthropists would bring me your dish washer I'd be happy to shoot yours full of holes for you.  :P  :D

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No plastic touching it.  Looked like the coil itself was covered in something (soap deposits maybe?) and the cooked off.  Already turned off the two heated dry settings and it appears to be working.

Some of you folks sure are loose when it come to spending my money.   Who do you think you are, the government?   :angry:  ;)  That's a $500.00 machine.  I ain't gonna shoot it full of holes.  Now, if one of you philanthropists would bring me your dish washer I'd be happy to shoot yours full of holes for you.  :P  :D

Wash the dishes by hand, good therapy!!:lol:

4T, check out some of the appliance repair part suppliers on-line. Some have good videos on "How To"

Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Since 1999

RepairClinic.com - Online Appliance Parts & Help

A couple I've used in the past.  Best of luck

32 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

4T, check out some of the appliance repair part suppliers on-line. Some have good videos on "How To"

Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Since 1999

RepairClinic.com - Online Appliance Parts & Help

A couple I've used in the past.  Best of luck

Two sources I haven't tried yet.  Thanks.  (Ain't this site informative?  :))

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Not quite, but the electric heating coil got red hot, melted some plastic storage containers, send out a huge cloud of smoke, and stunk up the whole house.  No plumbers or electricians willing to come out right now, and I can't see how to replace it myself.

2 words- paper plates :P

OLG 

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I would be more concerned as to why the breaker didn't 'trip'......

OLG 

I turned a snow blower into a dish washer. I put away her shovel! LMBO! What's that hon? You need me in the basement? Be right thunggg

40, If you need to remove the dish washer it usually only 2 screws into the counter top. Just open the door and you will see them. When I installed mine, I put a shut off right there and left the tubing long as well as an electric outlet under the sink so the dishwasher & garbage disposer are just plugged in. makes future service a bit easier. It just may be as said above that the plastic ware was just happened to be too close and all is OK.

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I turned a snow blower into a dish washer. I put away her shovel! LMBO! What's that hon? You need me in the basement? Be right thunggg

Sadly Michigan Slim will not be making any posts for a while. SWMBO has new plans for him. :o :P

The heating element did not trip the breaker as it was drawing the correct amperage for the rating of the element. The plastic was melting at the heat the element was providing and would not affect the element unless the flame burned in to the element changing the resistance of the element. Once the element burned in to two pieces, the circuit was not longer complete and the current flow would have stopped.  A breaker will only trip if the current flow exceeds the rating of the breaker and in this case it sound like the resistance of the element did not change which would have caused the current to increase. The best solution for this would be to install a GFCI  breaker on the dishwasher so if the heating element shorted to ground, it would trip faster than a regular breaker. 

1 hour ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

The heating element did not trip the breaker as it was drawing the correct amperage for the rating of the element. The plastic was melting at the heat the element was providing and would not affect the element unless the flame burned in to the element changing the resistance of the element. Once the element burned in to two pieces, the circuit was not longer complete and the current flow would have stopped.  A breaker will only trip if the current flow exceeds the rating of the breaker and in this case it sound like the resistance of the element did not change which would have caused the current to increase. The best solution for this would be to install a GFCI  breaker on the dishwasher so if the heating element shorted to ground, it would trip faster than a regular breaker. 

Dishwashers have an internal thermalcouple on the heating element that shuts it down. ;)

OLG 

13 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Forty-

Dishwashers are normally fairly easy to swap out.  A couple of screws at the top secure it to the underside of the counter and then it pulls right out.  Detach the water line and unplug it, slide a new one in.  I've had a harder time installing a washer or dryer.  Or, as suggested, maybe go to Lowe's and buy a new one with installation included.

Two screws and it slides right out?  It is so cute when folks believe in the supernatural.  Last time I slide one out required 2 weeks and professional help.

11 hours ago, Noz said:

Two screws and it slides right out?  It is so cute when folks believe in the supernatural.  Last time I slide one out required 2 weeks and professional help.

Hmmm--I know it's been a while since I've done one, but have they really gotten that hard?

Archived