SASS Wire Forum

Lichtenberg Fractal Wood Burning

Yul Lose

I’ve been interested in this type of wood enhancement for years and an outfit in Oklahoma, Conestoga Works builds a very well built safer unit so I ordered one last week and got to try it out today and I must say that there is a huge WOW factor involved. Certain safety measures have to be followed because you are working with 12,000 volts. I laid in bed last night thinking of new things to build and enhancing them with this type of decoration. Here are my first two attempts. The top one is a gun cart spoke for the new type of wheel I use and the bottom piece is just a piece of scrap that I experimented on.

127F4C61-F7D8-4B6D-A318-F62A329F41DF.jpeg

5F556278-B5A4-4B42-A35E-D9F28BB92583.jpeg

A34780AA-0B89-4A56-BC6A-FDCBB879D808.jpeg

Here’s a test burn on a roll top door slat.

57A725D9-F747-43FC-97D2-488A1354CC10.jpeg

Pretty darn neat Yul. Can't wait to see what you do with it on your projects.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Pretty darn neat Yul. Can't wait to see what you do with it on your projects.

I’ll tell you what, this may be my new passion, check these rolltop door slats out.

776E79C0-13CD-4DCB-9F9C-EEBA67E838BB.jpeg

That's gonna look quite sweet on a cart. :) It's so cool the way the arc travels. You're going to do something real neat with that toy!

8 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's gonna look quite sweet on a cart. :) It's so cool the way the arc travels. You're going to do something real neat with that toy!

Thank you and I’ll probably be laying in bed tonight unable to sleep because I’m thinking of all the potential with it.

10 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Wife's been doing fractal burning for several years. It's mesmerizing to watch. Works better on hard wood than soft. 

Yes, I just tried it on a piece of the beetle killed pine I got from you. Which machine does she use? 

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul, you have just taken your skill and works of art to a higher level:excl:

Anyway you could post a video of this new 'toy' in operation? 

OLG 

Thank you. I’m going to try a video tomorrow with my GoPro and see what I can do loading it on here. It is a fascinating process like Assassin says, mesmerizing, actually.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yes, I just tried it on a piece of the beetle killed pine I got from you. Which machine does she use? 

Belle uses a transformer from a neon light. It's very low amperage.

Yul  My Daughter-in-law uses this process to make decorative items for sale at the big Flea Market in Canton,TX. While at the flea Market with them last year we heard several stories of people being injured or worse. One fellow told of his brothers death from an accident with this process. Be careful, avoid distractions and have someone there, buddy system. It make beautiful, unique decoration. I cant wait to see how you will enhance your already superb work.

Imis

@Yul Lose,

The first time I saw this process was on HGTV during a "Flea Market Flip" episode where two guys did this to a piece of wood they used as a table top.

Should work great on your cart projects.

I did find this interesting video which goes one step further and uses epoxy to color the Lichtenberg Wood Burning art.

9 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Yul  My Daughter-in-law uses this process to make decorative items for sale at the big Flea Market in Canton,TX. While at the flea Market with them last year we heard several stories of people being injured or worse. One fellow told of his brothers death from an accident with this process. Be careful, avoid distractions and have someone there, buddy system. It make beautiful, unique decoration. I cant wait to see how you will enhance your already superb work.

Imis

Thank you and yes, they do have a risk factor involved. The homemade units seem to be the ones with the highest fatalities. The Conestoga uses far less current to make the burn. A few years ago there was a guy around here somewhere that built one that was 32,000 volts and ended up electrocuted. I guess it’s one of the reasons the American Woodturners Association has banned any entries with fractal burning enhancement.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Thank you and yes, they do have a risk factor involved. The homemade units seem to be the ones with the highest fatalities. The Conestoga uses far less current to make the burn. A few years ago there was a guy around here somewhere that built one that was 32,000 volts and ended up electrocuted. I guess it’s one of the reasons the American Woodturners Association has banned any entries with fractal burning enhancement.

YL,

From a person that works routinely on electronic equipment with power supplies of up to 50,000 volts

Before using here are some things you need from a safety standpoint.  Most important is a safety observer that can follow 3 simple instructions in order.

1. If anything bad happens the VERY FIRST thing they are to do is turn off the power. This means there has to be a way to turn off the equipment that is right at hand yet does not require the safety observer to even remotely come in close proximity to you or the equipment.

2. CALL 911

3. ONLY after steps 1 and 2 have been accomplished; use a DRY wooden pole to separate you and the equipment.

Archived