SASS Wire Forum

Cop derringer question

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I find the idea of a four barrel derringer very interesting.

The Cop four barrel seems to command a fairly high price.

Anyone ever owned/fired one?

They seem to be pretty heavy but most larger caliber guns

should have a little extra weight.

I might be interested in other four barrel derringers too.

Best

CR

I picked one up at a gun show then I put it back down. Heavy and weird. 

Fair assessment:

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/11/08/the-cop-double-barreled-over-under

They look cool but it sure isn’t my thing. That trigger pull is toooooo looong. 
After owning an RM380 I will never buy another compact gun with a long trigger pull. Glock triggers are long but these are too long. 

A long gone friend carried one as a backup, along with a 16 gauge double barrel with a pistol grip.  His son has the Derringer, and his daughter has the shotgun.  Lanny could hit a man size target with it at about 7 yards...sometimes.  

Eeeek.

I carried a S&W "airweight" .38 special in an ankle holster.  I tried the body armor holster for awhile but my uniform was tailored to fit tightly on the body armor, so the gun bulged too much.  I was also a TON faster drawing from the ankle, even with zippers installed on the uniform.  

That so-called “derringer” in the photograph looks bigger than my Colt Mustang .380acp auto, single barrel, and 6 round(?) magazine.

When I traveled, it was invisible in a cheap little thin canvas holster, slipped into the right front pocket of my Levis or other pants (along with an extra magazine).  I still carry it when I’m going somewhere I’d rather not be.

Cat Brules

It’s very heavy with a long heavy trigger. There is one set of sights for all four barrels with no control of which barrel is being fired. It’s more of a curiosity than a preferred gun 

18 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

It’s very heavy with a long heavy trigger. There is one set of sights for all four barrels with no control of which barrel is being fired. It’s more of a curiosity than a preferred gun 

I guess the gun in the photo is what many would call a “belly gun”.

My Colt Mustang is way beyond that thing.  It surprises me that a police officer would trust it.

Cat Brules

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Or he could save a couple of hundred dollars and buy an S&W 442. :D

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-442

The 'kool-guys' carry 'cool' guns like the 340. :P

OLG 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The 'kool-guys' carry 'cool' guns like the 340. :P

OLG 

All the smart guys buy 2 - 442s with the money that the 1 - 340 would cost. :P  :D

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All the smart guys buy 2 - 442s with the money that the 1 - 340 would cost. :P  :D

The truly informed buy the 340, because of the alloy frame, Ti cyl and SS bbl don't rust. ^_^

:lol:

OLG 

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I guess there is a reason everybody doesn't make one.

Airweight. Has a nice sound to it.

Best

CR

I test fired the .357 magnum version.  It weighed less than 3 ounces, I think.  It only held 5 rounds, but after three rounds I stopped shooting, unloaded, and put it down.  It felt like getting my hand hit with Derek Jeter's bat.

Believe it or not, even a .38 special has quite a bit of recoil, too, because of how light the gun is.  But it's much more manageable.  

15 or so years ago they came out with an Airlite titanium 38 J (336?). The store got a couple in and we took one out on the range. I fired two rounds. That damn little lightweight gun jumped so much that it slammed the trigger guard into my index finger. Painful. PAINFUL. Who was all I wanted to shoot. And I don't think we were shooting +P - I think it was just regular 158 lead round nose.

But I decided there wasn't no way I was going to get one of them. I enjoyed shooting. Why in the world would I want to shoot something that hurt?

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

I guess the gun in the photo is what many would call a “belly gun”.

My Colt Mustang is way beyond that thing.  It surprises me that a police officer would trust it.

Cat Brules

I never saw a single police officer carry one. The only one that I saw or shot belonged to a friend who still has and carries it for some reason 

45 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The truly informed buy the 340, because of the alloy frame, Ti cyl and SS bbl don't rust. ^_^

:lol:

OLG 

The better informed don’t sweat all over their shooter...:P

9 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I find the idea of a four barrel derringer very interesting.

The Cop four barrel seems to command a fairly high price.

Anyone ever owned/fired one?

They seem to be pretty heavy but most larger caliber guns

should have a little extra weight.

I might be interested in other four barrel derringers too.

Best

CR

Fired one that was offered at a very low price.  Worst trigger pull I ever felt.  Recoil was horrendous,  Accuracy at six feet was acceptable but iffy beyond that.

I passed.

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You ain't spent a summer in the Mojave Desert......:P

OLG 

Ha! Ya got me there...But! I spent 5 summers in North Carolina once...all in one summer:blink: 

I bought one at a gun show here in 2006 for a very reasonable price - about half "the going rate" at the time. It appeared to be unfired, and I've never shot it.

COPandRugersWithBrakes 001.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 2:28 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I picked one up at a gun show then I put it back down. Heavy and weird. 

Fair assessment:

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/11/08/the-cop-double-barreled-over-under

They look cool but it sure isn’t my thing. That trigger pull is toooooo looong. 
After owning an RM380 I will never buy another compact gun with a long trigger pull. Glock triggers are long but these are too long. 

did anyone else wince at about 20 seconds when he closed the loaded gun and had it pointed into the palm of his hand? 

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You ain't spent a summer in the Mojave Desert......:P

OLG 

Ain’t THAT the GD truth!!!?

Howdy,

FOUR loaded 357 mag rounds pointed into his palm.

Who would nnotice??

Best

CR

I sort of enjoy your comments but Im all set on carry hardware.

I think I will continue to try to shoot one of the cop derringers.

Buy? Probably  no.....

Archived