SASS Wire Forum

Colt Frontier Six Shooter - correcting cylinder bushing endshake Video

Warden Callaway

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/gas-system-tools/single-action-gas-ring-stretcher-prod1029.aspx

You can also take a tube cutter dull the cutting wheel so it no longer cuts and effectively stretch the bushing . Just 

make sure to use the base pin or a proper mandrill in the bushing 

1 minute ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

just curious what was the cylinder gap when you were done? I've seen this done before using a vice to squeeze the bushing also. 

I never checked it afterwards.  Early in the process I could get an 008" feeler gauge in between with the cylinder pushed back.  The next thicker blade was 011 and it wouldn't go. It should be the same range after the stretch.  

3 hours ago, RMW said:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/gas-system-tools/single-action-gas-ring-stretcher-prod1029.aspx

You can also take a tube cutter dull the cutting wheel so it no longer cuts and effectively stretch the bushing . Just 

make sure to use the base pin or a proper mandrill in the bushing 

The tube cutter deal introduces a fracture point. 

Peening is better structurally speaking.

OLG 

I may never use this method again.  I just did it this way because I'd never done it before.  New Uberti cylinder bushings are relatively inexpensive and easier to get. Colt not. 

Then I've started using the Powers Customs endshake washers.  They are higher now but they were something like $10 for 10 of them. Easy and quick.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Endshake&userItemsPerPage=24

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The tube cutter deal introduces a fracture point. 

Peening is better structurally speaking.

OLG 

It’s been a generally accepted practice taught at gunsmithing schools for a long time 

I used to work a a S&W and Colt warranty station we did it to S&W revolvers Pythons and SAA 

all the time . The guy that taught me had been taught that when he went to gunsmithing school 

and I can’t remember ever seeing one broke. The instructors I had particularly hated the endshake shims 

Many years ago before you could buy a Smith & Wesson in 45 Colt,  there was a rage of converting a 28 Highway Patrolman to 45 Colt. I bought a used Oklahoma Highway Patrol 28.  I sent the cylinder off to a guy in the northeast that was the main guy doing this work at the time.  I bought a 50 target 45 barrel.  I had a local gunsmith to swap out the barrel and set it up.  After a bit it developed excessive endshake.   I took it back to him.  I don't remember him making a comment.   He excused himself and went to his basement shop. I could hear some tinkering.  In a couple of minutes he returned.   Fixed. He had peened the end of the crane.  I figured I could do that.

11 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Many years ago before you could buy a Smith & Wesson in 45 Colt,  there was a rage of converting a 28 Highway Patrolman to 45 Colt. I bought a used Oklahoma Highway Patrol 28.  I sent the cylinder off to a guy in the northeast that was the main guy doing this work at the time.  I bought a 50 target 45 barrel.  I had a local gunsmith to swap out the barrel and set it up.  After a bit it developed excessive endshake.   I took it back to him.  I don't remember him making a comment.   He excused himself and went to his basement shop. I could hear some tinkering.  In a couple of minutes he returned.   Fixed. He had peened the end of the crane.  I figured I could do that.

There’s always more than one way to skin a cat , preening is done allot to stretch or move metal , it’s amazing how much you can tighten up the lock up on a old double gun with a ball peen hammer .

If any one Is interested Midway and Brownells had some excellent Youtube videos with an old English gunsmith that showed allot of the techniques he used in his career. I believe his name is Jack Rowe but don’t quote me on that it’s been a long time since I watched them 

10 minutes ago, RMW said:

Jack Rowe

Yes,  I've watch all his videos.   This old gentleman didn't just swap out parts, he just turned to his bench and made them.

A few years back we were at a garage sale and spotted the little hammer I used in the video. $2, aa I remember.   Sawmill Mary protested because she could see no use for such a little hammer.  I bought it anyway.  It's an often uses tool on my bench.  I also use it to repair screw heads by peening the buggers back into shape. 

5 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yes,  I've watch all his videos.  He has several made by Bushnell.   This old gentleman didn't just swap out parts, he just turned to his bench and made them.  

I liked that he made all of his own screwdrivers , or turn screws as he called them .

The guy I learned from always liked Stanley 100 plus square shank screwdrivers , ground appropriately of course 

14 hours ago, RMW said:

It’s been a generally accepted practice taught at gunsmithing schools for a long time 

I used to work a a S&W and Colt warranty station we did it to S&W revolvers Pythons and SAA 

all the time . The guy that taught me had been taught that when he went to gunsmithing school 

and I can’t remember ever seeing one broke. The instructors I had particularly hated the endshake shims 

ES shims are a pita.

Peening is easier to do, and you have more control. 

I have seen one Colt cyl bushing crack when the tube cutter was tried.

The gunsmith had to make a new one up on his lathe.

OLG 

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

ES shims are a pita.

Peening is easier to do, and you have more control. 

I have seen one Colt cyl bushing crack when the tube cutter was tried.

The gunsmith had to make a new one up on his lathe.

OLG 

They probably didn’t round the edge on the cutter enough, or went too deep , you can put about 10 rings around those to stretch them if you ever needed that much . It shouldn’t create a fracture point if there’s no sharpe edge made . But there’s always more than one way to do a job . I saw two gunsmiths I know almost get in a fist fight once over the proper way to fit a 1911 bbl 

2 minutes ago, RMW said:

They probably didn’t round the edge on the cutter enough, or went too deep , you can put about 10 rings around those to stretch them if you ever needed that much . It shouldn’t create a fracture point if there’s no sharpe edge made . But there’s always more than one way to do a job . I saw two gunsmiths I know almost get in a fist fight once over the proper way to fit a 1911 bbl 

The cutter wheel was special made by the 'smith, and had been in use for many yrs before it happened.

He never used it again on Colt bushings. 

I apprenticed under him for over 5 yrs. While I was working FT for the city.

He knew what he was doing.....

OLG 

Archived