SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Shooters, Warranty Cards, etc?

bgavin

Question for Uberti shooters:
Did you get a warranty registration card in the box?

I opened my new Uberti 1873 carbine, and no warranty card.
There is a big ding in the underside of the butt stock, and the lever is color-cased, where there rest of the rifle is blued.

I'm wondering if I got somebody's return instead of a new one.

Got a new one 3 weeks ago, no warranty card. I don't remember ever seeing one from Uberti and I've had several new ones over the years. Pretty sure all the carbines have cch levers; mine does for sure.

I called Uberti/Stoeger and was told they do not include any warranty cards.
I asked him to check the production... this gun was manufactured in 2014.
It has been sitting in Kentucky Gun Co. stock ever since 2015.
I was told there are no changes whatsoever between 2014 and 2020 production.

Color case levers are standard on this model.
I can (and will have to) live with the ding in the stock... otherwise another $100 FFL and background to get it replaced.
Uberti/Stoeger will pay warranty stock replacement and shipping if I choose to do that, but am very reluctant to kick this sleeping dog.

Depends on how big the ding is! If it’s a big gouge I’d send it back, if it’s a little ding you’ll get a few more soon enough!

It is more annoying than anything else.

After spending a lifetime in the big computer industry, I'm keenly aware of engineering changes that are slip-streamed into current production hardware.
I feel better after the Uberti guy assured me there are zero production changes between 2014 and 2020.

I will live with the ding, but if the gun is rusted... it is going back.

KGCo says they keep them in safe storage... but this one has been stored for 5 years, so I will look it over carefully.
That aside... it is nice and smooth..

10 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I can (and will have to) live with the ding in the stock... otherwise another $100 FFL and background to get it replaced.
Uberti/Stoeger will pay warranty stock replacement and shipping if I choose to do that, but am very reluctant to kick this sleeping dog.

Have'em send you the stock.

If you don't like it. Then pay-it forward to someone else. 

OLG 

You don’t need to pay ffl fees if you are returning it to get the stock replaced. You only need to if the receiver with the serial number is changed out for whatever reason. And I’m not entirely sure then as well. It’s not much of a pita to return it. Well in normal times anyway. Ship it anyway you want, ups, usps, or fedex, and they’ll ship it back to your door. 

That really is bad.  Run a tight cloth dry swab down the bore and see if you get a significant amount of lead on the swab.   Sounds like a used weapon to me, and they sent it to you on purpose, thinking you’d accept it.   That’s crooked.

No, you shouldn’t have to pay a new fee unless they switch/replace the rifle.  The should pay any new fees you get hit for.

Cat Brules 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:30 PM, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You don’t need to pay ffl fees if you are returning it to get the stock replaced. You only need to if the receiver with the serial number is changed out for whatever reason. And I’m not entirely sure then as well. It’s not much of a pita to return it. Well in normal times anyway. Ship it anyway you want, ups, usps, or fedex, and they’ll ship it back to your door. 

If it is a new to you firearm, it must go through an FFL for a 4473.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, bgavin said:

Inspect it really well before signing the 4473.  I’ve denied transfer and called KGC before.  They email a return label to the FFL and replaced the firearm once they received the unacceptable firearm back.  If you signed the 4473, they are not nearly as helpful.

Yes, this is probably the right thing to do.
However, I had three guns tied up on the 4473, and another month delay wasn't in the cards for me.
I will live with the ding (and post photos here) and the six year old production date.

It is my opinion, but I do believe this virus thing is going to get massively worse, and I don't want any guns tied up in delays.
The number of C19 cases is doubling in America every 4 days.

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

If it is a new to you firearm, it must go through an FFL for a 4473.

Of course we know that. Pay attention. This is a gun that he already has taken possession of. 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:30 PM, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

This part confused me.

Since it is a Uberti...take the magazine plug out...sometimes easier said than done...take the spring and plunger out. Don't be surprised if the inside of the mag tube is rusty...common on even new Uberti's. Every once in a while clean the mag tube...be surprised how dirty it gets inside. Oil it lightly and put it back together. If you have a 357 rifle...you may want to get one of the reducer kits for the inside of the magazine tube. 

I will look into this, as it has been sitting in the vendor warehouse for 5 years.
It is a 44 mag, so it uses the large magazine tube for 44 / 45 Colt

Uberti contacted me this morning, said 8 weeks for repairs, plus shipping each way.
I declined, asked if they would send me the replacement butt stock and I will fit it here.
I expect them to decline this request.

Archived