SASS Wire Forum

2nd gen Colt SAA short stroke kit?

Rollan Cole

No please don’t you will wish you hadn’t.  Why dont you think about sending them to Bob Munden’s shop. I have had two done by them.  They are still in business.  ☘️ Irish Pat

I agree with Irish-Pat, as I was going to do the same thing.  Nothing against it, though,  Tis just a gun to be shot.   

Contact Lassiter, I believe he has done them before.  

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

I have this pair of Cimarron Eleminator 8s that are Cimarron custom tuned with short stroke actions. I really don't notice the difference when I'm shooting them.  Just my opinion based on experience with these two,  it's a waste of money.  Also, they seem to be less reliable on timing.   I think bunching up all the action into a shorter stroke really puts a burden on the timing.   Also,   I had to install heavier main spring to get reliable primer ignition.  I'm thinking the short hammer fall does not generate enough energy with light spring. And lastly, you'll have a gun with hacked up parts that standard factory parts won't work. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

I have this pair of Cimarron Eleminator 8s that are Cimarron custom tuned with short stroke actions. I really don't notice the difference when I'm shooting them.  Just my opinion based on experience with these two,  it's a waste of money.  Also, they seem to be less reliable on timing.   I think bunching up all the action into a shorter stroke really puts a burden on the timing.   Also,   I had to install heavier main spring to get reliable primer ignition.  I'm thinking the short hammer fall does not generate enough energy with light spring. And lastly, you'll have a gun with hacked up parts that standard factory parts won't work. 

I just picked up a pair of them. The timing is slow on both of them , I really like the army size grips . Always have 

i haven’t had a chance to tear them apart yet to see “how” they short stroked them. But I definitely think the supposed action job they come with isnt worth anything. But they look fairly well done and they have the grips I wanted and no fp safety , it shouldn’t take too much to get them running right , and the octagon bbl is kinds kool . Also like the narrow rear sight cut in the frame if I want to adjust poi r/l and both front sights are actually straight 

OH, POO!!!!  It's your money use it the way YOU want to.  It's just a piece of steel, a tool, modify it to fit your needs not someone else's ideas.   If you are a very good to elite shooter a short stroke will help.  It doesn't help much but it helps. 

I got a second generation Colt and I put Wolff springs in and slicked it up. It’s not a short stroke but none of mine are they just have a light hammer pull and lighter trigger pull. I don’t care for the short strokes on revolvers.

I have 2 pairs of 2nd gen colts that are slicked up and super sexy...I’m asking because I’m shooting short strokes rugers at the moment and really like that setup and wanted to try it on some Colts!

thanks!

7 hours ago, Rollan Cole said:

Does anyone do or has anyone been playing with short strokes for Colts?? 

I have a set of 2nd gen 4 3/4” pistols I wanna build into race guns

thanks much!

I do all kinds of searches for Colt SAA parts.  There are several places that have a large variety of parts - original Colt and new reproduction parts.  But I've never seen anything resembling a short stroke "kit".  Or any parts made specifically for short stroke. 

Ron Powers of Powers Customs has a multitude of custom Ruger parts to configure a Ruger seven ways from Sunday.  And he has some Colt parts. But I've never seen any short stroke parts.

http://www.powercustom.com/

It's often said Pietta single action parts will work in a Colt but they don't carry short stroke action parts. 

5 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

OH, POO!!!!  It's your money use it the way YOU want to.  It's just a piece of steel, a tool, modify it to fit your needs not someone else's ideas.   If you are a very good to elite shooter a short stroke will help.  It doesn't help much but it helps. 

Truth sayer.

6 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

You have people that won't even file the sights on a Ruger here........so you KNOW you will get blasted for modifying the Holy Grail of handguns.........What would Sam Colt do? 

I don't see any blasting going on here.  Opinions,  yes. Some comments basted on experience with short stroke guns, yes.  I don't see any source for short stroke "kits" for Colt SAA.  I would think it would have to be a custom build. 

I may get out one of the Cimarron Eleminator 8s and take it apart and see what's different.  It's made by Pietta and parts my fit in a Colt. I know a Uberti hammer won't fit in a Colt.   I may go so far as seeing if they will fit in a Colt SAA.  But ...  I can tell you that Pietta parts are not nearly as hard as Colt parts.

While I’ve never seen any kits for short stroking a SAA, it has been done for at least a hundred years or so. King’s Gun Works were doing it in the 19 teens and twenties. Lassiter would be my go to guy on it, for now.

Warden did you notice if the hole in the hammer for the hand is in the same location ? Or if the Pietta’s hand Is longer ? 
Somehow they have to make up for not cocking the hammer as far 

The hand hole in the Pietta hammer is smaller than Colt.  

I'm not a short stroke expert.  Timing an action is pretty tedious work and takes a lot of experience that I don't have.  I have been able to replace parts and lucky enough to get them to work.  In this video I'm stretching the hand of the same Pietta Eleminator that I took apart for this video. Peitta parts are soft!

The lower step on the hand is the one that puts the final push on the cylinder as it locks up.  The top of the hand starts the cylinder rotation. 

I was asking more about the location of the hand in the hammer . If they move that location they can make up for moving the 

full cock notch . If not I would think they would have to make the hand longer .

I went to school for gunsmithing and earned my living as one for about 10 years. But I went for a more lucrative career about 23 years ago . So I’ve been out of the game for a while, but I’ve timed up / repaired many a SAA .

i picked up a pair of these and haven’t tore them apart yet , but don’t own a Colt to compare them to .

The short stroke intrigues me . I’m totally new to CAS but I would think a fast shooter could out run the gun with a SAA because the lock time is about a hour and a half . I’m wondering how a short stroke gun with a std hammer spring or even extra power spring would do with decreased lock time . Plus with the decreased lock time theoretically you should be more accurate and your follow through should be less critical . 

Archived