SASS Wire Forum

Need a favor from a cowboy who shoots Uberti RM or C. Mason 1860 Army Conversion Revolvers

Hi:

I have a 44 caliber cylinder that I was told was for an Uberti Open  Top revolver.

But, it is not, as it is too short.

So, I believe it is from a Uberti RM Conversion revolver, or an Uberti C. Mason Conversion 1860 revolver

If you shoot them, the favor I ask of you is:

Measure the body of the cylinder (not including the gas ring or ratchet).

My cylinder is just shy of 1.5 inches.

It has a gas ring

Please let me know if this is the same for yours.

Thanks in advance

--Dawg

rmDSC_0046.jpg

Hi Dawg.  I think the Uberti conversion and OT cylinders all have gas rings, and it doesn't look like that one does.  Is it possible it is an ASM?

There were some Uberti '60 R-M's way back that had different barrels and cylinders, not interchangeable with later models.  But I think those had a gas ring also.

edit: or are the calipers just covering the gas ring?  I'm not at home or I could measure mine.

Hi Abilene:

It has a gas ring -- Just covered up by the calipers.

Looking on the Internet, I see the rebate on the RMs, so Maybe from a Uberti C. Mason 1860 Army revolver?

I'm sure it's a Uberti, but I'm trying to figure out which model it is from.

Thanks

--Dawg

What Taylors calls a C. Mason is same as Richards-Mason.  And the Type II is the same except for the barrel.  The only non-rebated Uberti conversion cylinders are the .38's.

8 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And now that I think of it, 1.5" is the length of the Navy cylinder.  Armies are longer.  You sure it's a 44?

Hi Abilene:

Well, I figure with the conversion ring.....

Yep, it's a 44 Special.

It's a mystery to me.

I also used to shoot 44 Open Tops.

This came in a package of 44 cylinders & barrels I got years ago.

I found it in a box of Uberti 44 Open Top stuff that I had stuck on an upper shelf

I had not shot this particular barrel, so I was surprised when I found it to be much too short.

BeeDooo  BeeDooo  BeeDooo

Peeked at my Uberti R/M Conversion.  Mine is a .38 and measures 1.485.  The Uberti R/M Conversions, unlike the Open Top, will not interchange 38 > 44 Cylinders and Barrels.  Your Cylinder shows .010 longer than my 38.  I'm betting yours is from a Uberti .44 R/M Conversion.  If it were sans that pesky Gas Ring it could make a nice Pencil Holder  :rolleyes:

Based on measurement with the same type Caliper as yours (different name) and the knowledge the 38 and 44 are NOT interchangeable and the knowledge there is not a "large" dimensional" difference, it's pretty apparent your cylinder is a Uberti R/M 44.  I noticed my caliper does not have parallel jaws so I took the gun apart to measure a second time.  Second Opinion as it twer.  

The main difference between the .44 and the .38 is the gated recoil shield.  The actual frame dimensions are the same.  The 1860 R/M was built around the .45 Colt Cartridge although the 45 is a "never never" in conversion guns.  The 45 drove the R/M 1860 based on consumer demand for the .45.  The dimension of the Type II Richards was also driven by the 45 and for the same reason.  Atz why the Type II Richards is so oversize and clunky.  I digress.

Skuze.  Your zillender is Uberti for the R/M conversion in .44.  Burma Shave

49 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

...Skuze.  Your zillender is Uberti for the R/M conversion in .44.  Burma Shave

Think again.  Uberti RM .44 cylinders are rebated.  They are also long enough to fit a .45 Colt round, and Dawg's is only long enough for .44 Spcl.

The only way it could be for the Uberti RM is if it is for one of the earliest models I mentioned that had barrels/cylinders that were different dimensions, and only if those were non-rebated, which I doubt but is possible I suppose.

Barbasol.

Well, it appears that I have a shiny, pretty pencil holder, unless I can find an RM in 44 locally, that I can try the cylinder on.

46 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Well, it appears that I have a shiny, pretty pencil holder, unless I can find an RM in 44 locally, that I can try the cylinder on.

You could also look for a .44 Type II, as that is exactly the same as the Richards Mason, except for barrel.  Same p/n on cylinder.  I have a .44 Type II, and no way that cylinder would fit.  I also have a .38 Type II, and that cylinder might fit that one, but wrong caliber.  The 1860 RM's and Type II's in .38 with the non-rebated cylinder have a longer forcing cone section on the rear of the barrel to make up for the shorter cylinder (also a longer gas ring on the front of the cylinder).   So for now, pencil holder it is, I suppose.  :(  Finding one of the really old ones with different dimensions to compare would be tough.

You don't suppose there's any chance someone bored a .38 cylinder to .44 for some reason?

One other thought is that it could have been an Uberti mistake?  Not likely, but possible.  I've seen some weird mistakes from them.

Thanks for all your help Abilene & Coffinmaker!

Speaking of mistakes, one of the Open Top barrels was stamped "44-40", which was not an open top caliber.

It is just a 44 caliber 5.5" barrel, so no problem using it!

Just mis-marked.

I'll tuck the cylinder in the back of my desk drawer, in case the opportunity (of an appropriate pistola) ever presents itself.

Have a good week!

--Dawg

Archived