Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoss

Double alpha primer filler

Recommended Posts

Anybody using one of these? 
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

 

I currently use a Frankfort Arsenal vibratory primer tool. It’s not perfect, but waaaaay better than pecking at primers. 
 

if the Double Aloha gizmo works as advertised I’d prolly get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen one before. But I'll make you a deal, order one and have it shipped to me and I'll be the guinea pig. :ph34r:

 

 

$199 seems overly expensive to me for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoss, nope.  Believe for the price I’ll just keep flipping the primers on the work bench and doing the onesy twosy pushing each into the tube 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is expensive.  My opinion is that (all things considered) they’ve priced themselves a minimum of about $50 above what it’s worth.  Is shipping included?  It ships from Norway?  

What’s the real price?  That is, what’s the unit cost, shipping, and is there any tax charged?  What’s the total?
 

Depending on how much loading you do and, of course, how many little boxes of primers you’ve spilled all over the place, you might think it’s worth the $200+ price.

 

Cat Brules

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have one but thanks to the virus shutdown, have not needed to run it much.   Ran several test runs and observed the following.  

 

Included in the package is an extra primer plate and screws.  The note from the mfr. states some USA made primers are a different height than some Euro brands.  (This thing is made is Europe.).  So during their testing, they noticed an issue and the resolution is the different plate.  I commend them for including the extra plate, and I did need to make the switch for Federal #100 primers.  The main thing is, don’t overtighten the screws when switching the plate.  And use the original screws, not the extra set that comes with the plate.

 

For it to work properly, you need to fill it with a few hundred primers, and it will not ever completely empty itself.  20 or so primers will just keep bouncing around in the hopper.  Not a big deal though.

 

 The optical counter works pretty good and you get 98 to 100 primers before it cuts off.  When adjusted properly (the screws on the replacement plate), it will fill a 100 count tube in 1 minute or so.   It is certainly quieter that the Dillon RF-100,   

 

Like everyone else, I’m looking forward to the resumption of our matches and get togethers but until then, it’s good time to try some new things in the reloading room.

 

Stay safe everyone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Hoss, nope.  Believe for the price I’ll just keep flipping the primers on the work bench and doing the onesy twosy pushing each into the tube 

 

Me 2 :excl:

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hoss said:

Anybody using one of these? 
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

 

I currently use a Frankfort Arsenal vibratory primer tool. It’s not perfect, but waaaaay better than pecking at primers. 
 

 

 

I am also using a Frankfort Arsenal primer tool,  no reason to get anything else.  It works great for me.

 

Blackfoot:FlagAm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one and also returned it,i could never make it run reliably and found it very fussy ,even after all the modifications .I will stick to my Dillon RF-100s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eliminate the primer tube and have it feed the press direct.  Disconnect the 100 primer limit sensor and add a Mark 7 auto loader.  Now all you have to do is keep powder in the hopper....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Hoss,

 

I recall Deuce having a review of it on Facebook, in the end he returned it.

 

Found the link....

 

https://www.facebook.com/steve.stevens.96/videos/2838324832855302/

 

Totes

I do recall that. I was just hoping somebody had Better luck, or double alpha had fixed any issues. 
 

guess I’ll just stick with my Frankfort Aresenal  Vibra prime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I would invest that much in another auto primer tube filler.  I have used a RF-100 for many years and had far to many upside down primers that I gave up and went back to tray filling.  Last year while visiting with Dillon rep I know at WR, he graciously offered to have RF reworked to try to eliminate or at least help issue.  They did, and it did help,  but bottom line was that it does not take many upside down primers in a couple hundred loads to be frustrating. The time spent knocking out bullets to reuse brass, powder,  and possibly bullet is troubling and a precious time consumer.  I use Federal GM200M primers almost exclusively in unit so perhaps that is much cause, but doubt it.  To be 99% sure  that I do not have a upside down primer in RF tube I have to watch the feeding of primers while unit is in motion.  I timed that and found that if I caught just one and corrected it, the time it then took to finish only a 100 count fill I could have pretty easily hand/tray filled 100 in tube.  As much as I would like to depend on a auto fill device, I have come to the conclusion that, "at the end of the day", as they say, the hand/tray fill method will net faster time if factoring in the time correcting the device and readying any bad rounds.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Not sure I would invest that much in another auto primer tube filler.  I have used a RF-100 for many years and had far to many upside down primers that I gave up and went back to tray filling.  Last year while visiting with Dillon rep I know at WR, he graciously offered to have RF reworked to try to eliminate or at least help issue.  They did, and it did help,  but bottom line was that it does not take many upside down primers in a couple hundred loads to be frustrating. The time spent knocking out bullets to reuse brass, powder,  and possibly bullet is troubling and a precious time consumer.  I use Federal GM200M primers almost exclusively in unit so perhaps that is much cause, but doubt it.  To be 99% sure  that I do not have a upside down primer in RF tube I have to watch the feeding of primers while unit is in motion.  I timed that and found that if I caught just one and corrected it, the time it then took to finish only a 100 count fill I could have pretty easily hand/tray filled 100 in tube.  As much as I would like to depend on a auto fill device, I have come to the conclusion that, "at the end of the day", as they say, the hand/tray fill method will net faster time if factoring in the time correcting the device and readying any bad rounds.. 

I tried using the RF-100 for LP primers for two + years and finally gave up on it. Dillon had it once and sent it back but I could still not get it to operate correctly either upside down primers or they won’t drop down through the little red funnel up on top. Doesn’t matter which primers I used none would drop reliably. Great idea but frustrating, none the less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I lucked into a pair of Dillon RF-100s and haven't looked back.  

what primer you use? never one upside down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Boy said:

Hoss, nope.  Believe for the price I’ll just keep flipping the primers on the work bench and doing the onesy twosy pushing each into the tube 

I'd be happy if I could just remember not to repeatedly dump primers out of the box into the wrong side of the flip tray.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.