SASS Wire Forum

.45 colt & fast powders

Don Jorge

Are the "faster burning propellants," like VVN310, Red dot,Promo or others a good choice for .45 colt with a 200 gr. bullet?

By good choice, I would refer to clean burning, consistent metering, or other favorable properties.

I use Clays or Clay-Dot without issue in my 45colt, C45S, and Ellies 38's as well as our shotgun.

Red Dot won't be temp sensitive - have used it in the past.  Clay Dot works fine at all temps.  Winchester WST works just fine for me, and actually gains muzzle velocity when cold..   Of those, WST meters just perfectly in Dillon measures.   Red and Clay Dots are less accurate metering, but better than 700X (which is another good powder except for metering well).   All are quite clean enough for my use.   Tite Group is another good one, but is very likely to smoke up cases when loaded light.

Good luck, GJ

I've used 6 grains of RedDot behind a 200 grain RFN bullet for many, many years...  In fact, for so many that it was around 1989 that I went from a 185 grain pill to the 200.  With a brief stop at 225 in between that maybe lasted 8-9 years....!

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Red Dot won't be temp sensitive - have used it in the past.  Clay Dot works fine at all temps.  Winchester WST works just fine for me, and actually gains muzzle velocity when cold..   Of those, WST meters just perfectly in Dillon measures.   Red and Clay Dots are less accurate metering, but better than 700X (which is another good powder except for metering well).   All are quite clean enough for my use.   Tite Group is another good one, but is very likely to smoke up cases when loaded light.

Good luck, GJ

Yes Tite Group will definitely smoke up your cases.

I load Red Dot in 45Colt. For CAS, where light loads are preferred, a fast powder is mandatory if you want complete (or nearly complete) combustion. I'm loading 3.5g with a 180g bullet.  

ive always used red dot or clays and never been inclined to change but there is a few others you can substitute with similar burn rates , most any that trap shooters load , 

I have used Red Dot pushing a 200gr LRNFP bullet in .45Colt for a long time.  I annealed my brass and have no problem with soot or unburned powder.  I use the same bullet in .45ACP along with Red Dot.

Blackfoot  :FlagAm:

I get hangfires with anything under 4.6 grains of Reddot and a 180-200 grain bullet.  5.0 grains is a .7cc Lee spoon and works pretty well.

Seems clean to me, but I may fire too many bp loads to be a good source.

Don

I have used vv310 for years in a 38 short colt case with 105 and 130 grain bullets. It doesn’t take much of the powder to make the power factor. In the short colt it is extremely consistent in velocity. I’m not sure how it would be in such a large case. When I shot 45 colt I always used clays with good results. I believe mine was around 4.3 grains for a 200 grain bullet. 

I settled on 5.8 gr of 231 in the 45 Colt case behind the 200 gr cast Lee bullet in my 5.5" Model P and 1873 20" rifle . The rifle cuts one ragged hole at 50' and the pistol a bit bigger at 30'. Cases and bores are clean. I don't need to tumble the cases for the next loading. Similar groups in the Schofield case with 5.2 gr.

1 hour ago, Mean Gene said:

I settled on 5.8 gr of 231 in the 45 Colt case behind the 200 gr cast Lee bullet in my 5.5" Model P and 1873 20" rifle . The rifle cuts one ragged hole at 50' and the pistol a bit bigger at 30'. Cases and bores are clean. I don't need to tumble the cases for the next loading. Similar groups in the Schofield case with 5.2 gr.

Same load I use in my .45acp ammo.

OLG 

On 3/30/2020 at 5:27 PM, Don Jorge said:

Are the "faster burning propellants," like VVN310, Red dot,Promo or others a good choice for .45 colt with a 200 gr. bullet?

By good choice, I would refer to clean burning, consistent metering, or other favorable properties.

Clean burning, seriously, is not likely to happen at the low pressures we shoot in 45 Colt smokeless, barring annealing of brass. What you can hope for is not to find unburned powder granules, while the standard case is not going to expand enough to prevent blackened cases. Some are better than others, but I don't see any awards being given for cases that don't need to be cleaned between loadings. However, I would not favor a load for which ejecting cases gets sticky. I am going to clean and polish my brass regardless. What I would look for is the consistent metering, complete combustion, uniform performance, and competitive # loads per pound of powder.  Personally, I am accommodating the expense of Trailboss, which suits me on all other counts.

Archived