SASS Wire Forum

Best Capper for '58 Remingtons

Tequila Shooter

I'm getting my research done for a set of '58 Remingtons that I bought and are at the gunsmith.  I'm planning on putting SLIX nipples on, and #10 caps.  I know that not every capper will fit the Remmys, so what kind is recommended?  Polish capper?  In-line?

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You might ask Mike if he opens up(or is willing to) the cylinders on your 58 so you can use a normal snail capper.

SASS approved:

The Polish capper will work on the stock cylinders, BUT it is fairly pricey and has to be shipped from the homeland...no idea if that is a problem these lockdown/quarantine days or not. Cash cappers in either style are easily obtainable.  The modification to the cylinders is easy enough, and then any capper will work, as Tyrel noted.  I had problems fitting the Remington caps into the cheap Traditions cappers, never tried a Cash straight capper... bought a Polish instead, and have been very happy with it.

CS

Got so frustrated with the straight capper that I used it for target practice. The tolerances are such that #10 remington caps will cause it to jam.

Bought one of the Polish cappers and it is worth every penny. I own 1 original, and one of the C model. I also have a third on the way as a backup.

One neat feature is the machining marks inside the capper will cause most caps to orientate correctly the same way a primer flip tray works.  The key is to only [put in a few at a time. Any that are stubborn I flip with the wire of my nipple prick.

Plus one for Polish capper. They work. And stout enough to fully seat caps. And kinda cool getting the package with all the Poland stamps. I had absolutely no issues with my credit card, but might be wise to get a pre-paid Visa card and use it. 

1 hour ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

The Polish capper will work on the stock cylinders, BUT it is fairly pricey and has to be shipped from the homeland...no idea if that is a problem these lockdown/quarantine days or not. Cash cappers in either style are easily obtainable.  The modification to the cylinders is easy enough, and then any capper will work, as Tyrel noted.  I had problems fitting the Remington caps into the cheap Traditions cappers, never tried a Cash straight capper... bought a Polish instead, and have been very happy with it.

CS

I looked at the Polish capper but the website says they aren't shipping outside Poland until the Corona is over, could be awhile.

Thanks.  I was going to try to order one.

Cat Brules

Archived