SASS Wire Forum

How fast our lives can change

Cheatin Charlie

Out of boredom I went back and looked at the posts in the Forum from the first of March.  Hardly a word about the Coronavirus.  Now 30 days later it dominates our thoughts.

We went from being oblivious to imposed home lockdown.  This will pass with a lot of pain but I hope 100 years from now we do not forget history and think we are immune to nature and repeat the same mistakes.  But alas we probably will. 

It’s a given.

i believe I’ll have another beer.

Cat Brules 

PLUS ONE too Cheatin Charlie.

Unfortunately, we, as a species, will do it again in the future.  Absolutely a given.  After all, some idiot Homo sapiens thought "Bat Soup" to be a good idea. The same folks considered an endangered specie of ugly, small, quadruped to be of great medicinal value.  Darwin ........

4 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Out of boredom I went back and looked at the posts in the Forum from the first of March.  Hardly a word about the Coronavirus.  Now 30 days later it dominates our thoughts.

We went from being oblivious to imposed home lockdown.  This will pass with a lot of pain but I hope 100 years from now we do not forget history and think we are immune to nature and repeat the same mistakes.  But alas we probably will. 

It won't take another hundred years.  We'll be mighty lucky if it isn't more like 10-15 years,

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It won't take another hundred years.  We'll be mighty lucky if it isn't more like 10-15 years,

If I were a betting man, I'd lay some serious cash down on 4 or 8 years...

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If I were a betting man, I'd lay some serious cash down on 4 or 8 years...

Like 40, I wouldn't bet against you either.

If we even kept washing our hands and using sanitizer like fanatics the docs say that yearly flu cases would be a fraction of usual.

They are saying that C19 will be back in the fall... and I believe them.
IMO, we are now living in the "new normal."
Masks, gloves, and rigorous disinfectant protocols will be the norm for every flu season.

This emergency has had me befuddled from the beginning.  If I remember the numbers correctly, the Swine Flu killed over 12,000 in the US.  No lock downs, no hysteria, and no hoarding.

I am not even trying to say that this virus is not a serious issue.  But why are people hoarding toilet paper (the virus causes issues from the head not the other end)?  And a run on guns and ammo? 

Was at my LGS last week and a manager from a local indoor range stopped in.   He had a couple of scary stories.  1. A customer came in to test out their new gun.  They had purchased the wrong caliber ammo for it.  2. A different customer was on the range trying to load his/her new weapon.  He/she was trying to put the loaded ammo into the end of the barrel!!  (The manager looked at me funny when I suggested giving the person a hammer to correct the problem.  Problem solved one way or the other).

The last time I saw grocery shelves empty like ours are was in '92 when my ship visited Vladivostok, Russia.  Their shelves were empty, ours are empty of some items.

One last item in my rambling.  A thought popped into my head a week or so ago.  This media drumming of the virus reminded me of the TV news in the late 60s.  Vietnam was highlighted every day with body counts, every day.  Now we get body counts every day for virus deaths.

Arizona is starting the "Stay at Home" as of 5 pm this evening.  Should be interesting.

Everyone take care and be safe,

Barry Sloe

Well Barry, you're not wrong. We can count ourselves in AZ as lucky. I have to admit I was wrong about the Governor; he's not quite the idjit I thought he was thank goodness. The media could have done a better job of explaining  his executive order but....this is about the norm. Our media here is slightly better than national. I too remember those body counts Barry, I also know why the military was driven to that; McNamara. He was a numbers guy and the media picked up on that just like they have here. But this here is more insidious.

Yes. They are trying to drive the narrative. Back in Jan "they" heavily criticized the President for his travel bans. At that time we weren't getting the truth from certain um....folks over there and wouldn't find out the truth for weeks. Critical weeks. Not to mention the useless test kits they sent. Italy was already heavily involved. Short version is yes they were trying to use this as a weapon to hurt his re-election. It does appear to me that the oil prices taking a dump because of certain actions overseas combined with what my untrained eyes seeing the metals market and others that there was a directed and specific attack on our economy. Cooincidence? Happenstance? These people crashed our economy, put millions of people out of work....to win an election. They think. The fat lady ain;'t sung yet, LOL.

My take is the "political opposition" thought this was just another "flu". Now we know it isn't, its worse. 1.0% mortality compared to .1% for the general flu plus some concerning trasnmission traits. "They" sought to paint the President as slow, inneffective when the opposite is true and I believe that has backfired bigtime on the opposition. Had they acted instead of fooling around with impeachment....heck, the President even mentioned this in his State of the Union address Feb 4. They did far more damage with their monkeyshines and I believe the public will see that.

But here we are almost two months later. Every State is on its way to solving this except for NY, NJ and CT according to Dr Fauci but they will be along shortly. It would be easy to blame their leadership as solely responsible but that area is densely populated, much public transportation and a heavy international travel locale. These are major problems that allow the virus to spread like wildfire. Which it has there. However we got this. I see the vast amount of equipment, military hospitals, FEMA personnel, the incredible response from Corporate America standing to and not only providing innovative equipment but the President has cleared the way by directing the red tape go away for now.

We are living history my friends; people fifty years from now will judge us as we look back on the 1918 Spanish flu. Most of us will have to put our personal endeavors aside for the duration. Most of us are living under one sort or another "shelter" order and other adverse conditions. I do not like this, but I see the need. It does make me glad I don't live in certain areas given the um.....draconian responses from the usual people. They pretty much shot themselves in the foot with their "reasonable" "Common sense" stuff. Many people laughed when FEMA raised their recommendation from three days of necessary supplies in a household to up to six months. Not now. 

So. We will do what we must as Americans to solve this. We will do our best to support and care for our brothers and sisters and remember, God is on our side. Of this I have no doubt whatsoever. At the end our Country will be stronger and more united.

We are living history my friends; people fifty years from now will judge us as we look back on the 1918 Spanish flu.

The media freaked when Trump called Covid 19 the Chinese Virus, but they’re not concerned about calling the 1918 pandemic the Spanish Flu. :wacko::rolleyes::lol:

Buckle up.
There is not a single gov't anywhere in the world that does not lie.  Ours included.

C19 is not a common flu... it is ARDS "advanced respiratory distress syndrome" and it is a ruthless killer.
80% of the infected will be "mild", meaning "not hospitalized" with the worst damn flu they have EVER experienced.
20% will be hospitalized and 3% will die from drowning in their own lungs.

The media and the Democrats continue making this into a Trump hatefest and political football.

Two of my daughters are nurses. 
They are struggling with a criminal lack of protective supplies like masks and gowns.
Once the health system is overwhelmed, and the front line doctors and nurses are gone, then Hell is truly coming.
Throw in the 30% projected unemployment plus C19 disease and this is far worse than the 25% unemployment in 1932, the worst of the Great Depression.
Buckle up.

Communist China tracks the every movement of their citizens with cell phones.
There is a mandatory "health" app on the phone that the user must use regularly.
One cannot even take the bus without a cell phone.
21 million cell phone accounts have gone dark.
Were they laid off?  No.  They are DEAD.
The crematoriums are each producing 500 urns every day.
Do the math.

In America, look at the "doubling" rates to see how it accelerates.
Cases doubled every 7 days, then every 5 days, now every 4 days.
Today, we have 189, 035 confirmed cases in the US with 3900 dead.
At this rate, in 35 days 193.5 million will be infected.
With the current 2.06% death rate, this is 4 million dead.

Buckle up.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The media freaked when Trump called Covid 19 the Chinese Virus, but they’re not concerned about calling the 1918 pandemic the Spanish Flu. :wacko::rolleyes::lol:

You mean despite the fact that's what THEY were calling the first 2-3 weeks? :lol: I believe it was Rush played a montage of the various "news" outlets over and over and over. And just like that, all of a sudden it was racist. What a cast of clowns.

JHC

22 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

You mean despite the fact that's what THEY were calling the first 2-3 weeks? :lol: I believe it was Rush played a montage of the various "news" outlets over and over and over. And just like that, all of a sudden it was racist. What a cast of clowns.

JHC

If Trump says up, they say down. If Trump says left, they say right..... 

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Remember that these are the same people that have no issues with calling their food / restaurant Chinese, Indian, or Mexican. ;)

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Buckle up.
There is not a single gov't anywhere in the world that does not lie.  Ours included.

C19 is not a common flu... it is ARDS "advanced respiratory distress syndrome" and it is a ruthless killer.
80% of the infected will be "mild", meaning "not hospitalized" with the worst damn flu they have EVER experienced.
20% will be hospitalized and 3% will die from drowning in their own lungs.

The media and the Democrats continue making this into a Trump hatefest and political football.

Two of my daughters are nurses. 
They are struggling with a criminal lack of protective supplies like masks and gowns.
Once the health system is overwhelmed, and the front line doctors and nurses are gone, then Hell is truly coming.
Throw in the 30% projected unemployment plus C19 disease and this is far worse than the 25% unemployment in 1932, the worst of the Great Depression.
Buckle up.

Communist China tracks the every movement of their citizens with cell phones.
There is a mandatory "health" app on the phone that the user must use regularly.
One cannot even take the bus without a cell phone.
21 million cell phone accounts have gone dark.
Were they laid off?  No.  They are DEAD.
The crematoriums are each producing 500 urns every day.
Do the math.

In America, look at the "doubling" rates to see how it accelerates.
Cases doubled every 7 days, then every 5 days, now every 3 days.
Today, we have 189, 035 confirmed cases in the US
At this rate, in 34 days 387 million will be infected.
With a 3% death rate, this is 11.6 million dead.

Buckle up.

Yet the media keeps reporting that China has only 4000 deaths give or take.

Archived