SASS Wire Forum

Baking a cake

Utah Bob #35998

Today is Carol’s birthday. It’ll be an understated one for sure but I’m trying to bake a cake. I’m a damn good cook but other than biscuits baking ain’t my thing. I got some commercial mix. How hard could it be? Wish me luck.:blink::rolleyes:

You MUST add extra flour and eggs due to high altitude if you are at home. If down East just use a normal recipe if a store mix. If from scratch do not pack dry ingredients in measuring cup. Just scoop full and then scrape off flat with knife, etc. Baking is part science. You must follow the recipe for good results.

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

You MUST add extra flour and eggs due to high altitude if you are at home. If down East just use a normal recipe if a store mix. If from scratch do not pack dry ingredients in measuring cup. Just scoop full and then scrape off flat with knife, etc. Baking is part science. You must follow the recipe for good results.

Yeah at home we use high altitude recipes. We’re at 700 ft here instead of 7,000. :blink:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Today is Carol’s birthday. It’ll be an understated one for sure but I’m trying to bake a cake. I’m a damn good cook but other than biscuits baking ain’t my thing. I got some commercial mix. How hard could it be? Wish me luck.:blink::rolleyes:

Hey Bob, back when I was on facebook maybe you noticed Dutch oven cooking and baking are a hobby of mine.  If I can bake a cake in a Dutch oven using fire (either from a box or from scratch!), you can do it in a convection oven.  

I suggest you DO grease and flour your cake pans.

Do not overmix. 

CB

Yeah, it got “fixed” for me, apparently.

GREASE, is the word.

Sheet cakes are easier to prepare than multi-layer cakes.  Recipes need to be followed exactly for good results.  Store-bought frosting is good stuff.  It spreads easily lacks lumps.  If you screw up, supermarket bakery departments sell good birthday cakes ready made.

The vast majority of people over bake everything, including cakes. If you want it to stay nice and moist, take it out earlier than you think you need. Carry over cooking comes into play here. Think of it like hits and misses. If you know it’s not ready, it’s not ready. If you know it’s ready, or you think it’s ready, or you think it’s not ready, it’s ready. 

5 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Happy birthday to Carol and good luck with your project.  I'm sure your culinary efforts will be appreciated.

Read the directions again and again as you go along.  It's easy as can be if you don't screw it up.

Happy birthday Carol.  Don't be too hard on him if he doesn't do a perfect job.  He's trying.  ;)

I hope Carol and you are happily celebrating.

Best to you both.

CB

Happy Birthday Ms. Carol and Bob ya did a good one!

By golly now that's well done!

I'd hoped to post my tale of woe before you threw that one at the oven -- I mean in the oven -- but here goes anyway

(respectfully tendered for the benefit of anyone else who wishes to try their hand at culinary creativity!)

I was a bachelor, out on my own for the first time, and rather than do something intelligent like walk down to the general store and pay fifty cents for a Hostess cupcake, I decided to bake my own.

No Crisco to grease the pan.

I used bacon grease.

No flour to flour the pan.

I used dry pancake mix.

What could go wrong?

Besides, I was a working chemist, I measured the ingredients with precision, set the oven as if it were laboratory calibrated, timed it to plus-or-minus one-half of one second for baking time.

I found I'd produced a fine chocolate ... brick.

Two square inches in the dead center was the only edible part of the whole thing, and that if you soaked it in coffee first.

I knocked it out of the square tin pan and leaned it up against the burning barrel in the back yard.

The neighborhood stray dog came along and sniffed at it, h'isted his nose in the air and walked away looking as if I'd insulted him.

Nine months later it was still there, unaffected by the seasons, until the township came along and dumped the contents of my burning barrel in their dump truck, and tossed in that chocolate mistake.

Archived