SASS Wire Forum

Alcohol

In the present crisis Isopropyl and Rubbing alcohols have gone the way of toilet paper.  Denatured alcohol, which is really used as fuel, however, is plentiful.  My question is, can it be used as a subsitute for the other two?

As you can tell, chemistry was not my strong subject while in school.  

Howdy,

Im not sure what you are substituting for what.

This is one of those questions that looks simple but aint…..

Wikipedia has the details on alcohols.

Perhaps you can get more info at your local drug store.

Best

CR

Denatured alcohol is simply ethyl alcohol (ethynol) that has had something added to make it undrinkable. 

Denatured alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) made unfit for human consumption by adding one or more chemicals (denaturants) to it. Denaturing refers to removing a property from the alcohol (being able to drink it), not to chemically altering or decomposing it, so denatured alcohol contains ordinary ethyl alcohol.

WARNING

Denatured Alcohol Chemical Composition

There are hundreds of ways ethanol is denatured. Denatured alcohol that is intended for use as a fuel or solvent typically contains 5% or more methanol. Methanol is flammable and has a boiling point close to that of ethanol.

Methanol is absorbed through the skin and is highly toxic, so you really shouldn't use denatured alcohol for making perfume or bath products. 

I had that thought a couple weeks or so ago.  Went down to the local Home Depot to buy a can of denatured alcohol; not a drop to be found.

Finally, I asked the gal in the paint department - "Oh, we don't have it anymore."

"What?  Sold out??"

"Nope.  Haven't had any since last year - we're not allowed to sell it anymore."

So I went home and looked it up - sure 'nuff... now illegal to sell denatured alcohol in california.  Seems it's a VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) and the Air Resources Board has banned it's sale.  :(

Evidently it's really pi$$ed of a bunch of sailboat owners ~ lots of boats have alcohol-fueled stoves.  Folks are literally smuggling the stuff in from Nevada.  :wacko:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I had that thought a couple weeks or so ago.  Went down to the local Home Depot to buy a can of denatured alcohol; not a drop to be found.

Finally, I asked the gal in the paint department - "Oh, we don't have it anymore."

"What?  Sold out??"

"Nope.  Haven't had any since last year - we're not allowed to sell it anymore."

So I went home and looked it up - sure 'nuff... now illegal to sell denatured alcohol in california.  Seems it's a VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) and the Air Resources Board has banned it's sale.  :(

Evidently it's really pi$$ed of a bunch of sailboat owners ~ lots of boats have alcohol-fueled stoves.  Folks are literally smuggling the stuff in from Nevada.  :wacko:

What ISN'T illegal in California any more?  :angry:

paper airplanes 40R.  We can still make and fly paper airplanes, as long as they are not weighted with paperclips that may have materials that are on the DFARS list, and as long as the plating on those paperclips meets NADCAP regulations.  Oh, and as long as we dont fly them where a strong gust could cause them to fly into the hands of anybody who is restricted by ITARS.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol mixed with water. The mix is 70% alcohol to 30% water. Perfect mix for an antiviral.  You need a little water so the alcohol is delayed in evaporating when it is applied. That gives it enough time to kill viruses that it contacts. 
Most isopropyl alcohol sold in drug stores is greater than 91% pure but evaporates too quickly when applied (spayed or wiped) You just need to dilute it to 70/30. 

The problem with rubbing and isopropyl alcohols is that they sold before the demise of toilet paper.  You can get all the denatured stuff from Home Depot, Lowes and Ace.  I don't know if hoarders are using Isopropyl and Rubbing to disinfect their caves and using toilet paper to wipe it off............who konws.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"What?  Sold out??"

I'm an active member of an international website concerned with traditional outdoorsmanship, with an emphasis on classic camping, hiking, and marine stoves. We had a long discussion a few months ago concerning the California ban on denatured alcohol under its VOC regulations. Denatured alcohol is widely used in many types of hiking stoves and boat stoves.

A big part is labeling issues, which, though ridiculous, are part of the California landscape. Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent, which is mostly why it is found in hardware stores. That's probably why it fell within the VOC regs. Our California members have been able to find denatured alcohol in sporting goods stores, including REI, marked 'alcohol stove fuel'.

Of course, those businesses are closed as non-essential.....

29 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I'm an active member of an international website concerned with traditional outdoorsmanship, with an emphasis on classic camping, hiking, and marine stoves. We had a long discussion a few months ago concerning the California ban on denatured alcohol under its VOC regulations. Denatured alcohol is widely used in many types of hiking stoves and boat stoves.

A big part is labeling issues, which, though ridiculous, are part of the California landscape. Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent, which is mostly why it is found in hardware stores. That's probably why it fell within the VOC regs. Our California members have been able to find denatured alcohol in sporting goods stores, including REI, marked 'alcohol stove fuel'.

Of course, those businesses are closed as non-essential.....

Thanks for the "Heads Up," Red!

I just checked on-line, and you are correct.  When these stores re-open I'll be there.  :)

One thing for folks using hand sanitizer in the home, especially home brewed versions with Isopropyl should know. Make sure it is completely dry before being around an open flame such as a gas stove burner. People have been getting very serious burns by not letting it dry and reaching over the flame.

Archived