SASS Wire Forum

Good news. Lock down extended

doc roy l. pain

Well here is a good start of who you can thank

Mayor of New Orleans for allowing Mardi Gras to continue when it should have been shut down early.

The college kids that insisted on attending spring break parties.

The governor of Florida for failing to close down the bars and beaches. He put greed ahead of the greater good. 

27 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Well here is a good start of who you can thank

Mayor of New Orleans for allowing Mardi Gras to continue when it should have been shut down early.

The college kids that insisted on attending spring break parties.

The governor of Florida for failing to close down the bars and beaches. He put greed ahead of the greater good. 

Doesn’t matter. Before this thing is over we all will be exposed to it. Some will contract the virus and some will not. Some will be sick and others will die. Flattening the curve only spreads out the exposure over a longer time period, so the medical professionals are not overwhelmed, but doesn’t stop the virus.

I do understand about the greed in which you speak of. Seems like in times of trouble there’s always someone trying to make a buck no matter what the consequences. How about $30 for a four pack of toilet paper or $50 for a twin pack of Lysol wipes. It’s not just the people in power being greedy. 

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

I'm praying that warm weather and sunshine will put a significant dent in it. The same way it does the regular flu.

Hoping your right SD

You are not “stuck” at home, you are safe at home.  I expect to contact the virus eventually.  I would kinda like that to be after I get vaccinated for it.  Since I am “elderly” and at greater risk, I expect I will be socially distancing for a year or so, since it will be that long before a vaccine is available.  No problem.  I’ll pretend I’m an astronaut confined to a space capsule until I get a vaccination.  Mars, here I come!! :)

I worry about local businesses that will never reopen.   I worry about farmers too.  A farmer sometimes sells locally only now his customers are closed.  Meanwhile there are areas with little to no infections that are being treated like new York city unnecessarily. 

I worry about my wife and her 90-yo mother (my MIL) becoming infected with this virus.  

4 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Doesn’t matter. Before this thing is over we all will be exposed to it. Some will contract the virus and some will not. Some will be sick and others will die. Flattening the curve only spreads out the exposure over a longer time period, so the medical professionals are not overwhelmed,

Well, one little difference without the curve beeing flattened is that a lot more will die due to lack of capacitiy of medical treatment. And the ones who needed the treatment the most will be denied because of their lower probability of survival.

And it's not only medical professionals that are overwhelmed, also crematories and undertakers as you currently see in Spain and Italy, which leads us to this:

4 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Seems like in times of trouble there’s always someone trying to make a buck no matter what the consequences.

As prices are a matter of supply and demand, at some places in Spain (and probably Italy) you pay twice as usual for a funeral, but don't expect to have a ceremony to have a dignified farewell...   But if it gets worse, you have to wait quite a while until someone picks up your beloved deceased at home.

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You are not “stuck” at home, you are safe at home.  I expect to contact the virus eventually.  I would kinda like that to be after I get vaccinated for it.  Since I am “elderly” and at greater risk, I expect I will be socially distancing for a year or so, since it will be that long before a vaccine is available.  No problem.  I’ll pretend I’m an astronaut confined to a space capsule until I get a vaccination.  Mars, here I come!! :)

Agree, I'm in the same boat but figure it will do me in if something else don't get to me first. When you're tickets punched, ain't nuten you can do about it. Just do the best as you can to avoid it till it gets ya. At least it takes ya fast.

J-Bar has the right idea and attitude. If you can be safe at home, BE SAFE AT HOME. 

Just because you aren’t seeing CoVid cases in your area it doesn’t mean it’s not coming. It just hasn’t hit there YET.

@Equanimous Phil is correct. Precautions just flatten the curve for medical support to be able to get their processes in order. Preventing fast progress of a disease helps keep the medical establishment from being completely overwhelmed in a short amount of time. 

Even though I hear and see warnings for people to maintain separation everywhere I go I still see people ignoring that. And the people ignoring it are dipsticks wearing 3 day old face masks and nitrile gloves that are just as old. They think because “They are protected” they can do as they please. One such guy at Costco decided to encroach on me yesterday. It actually surprised me how mad I got very quickly. I let him know he was too close and he said in very snotty way:

”Well, I am protected I have a mask and gloves. What’s your problem?”

I firmly explained that his mask didn’t appear to be a “fist protection mask”. He walked away quickly. 

Do they make an N95 or better face shield that can withstand a pummeling? I have a feeling that might be an invention worth looking into by some entrepreneur. :rolleyes:

It is a very cautious time for sure.  I am at work but I'm making sure I keep a safe distance from others, use hand sanitizer often and don't use door handles when possible.  I did let my management know if there are other illnesses in my area, I will take care of myself first and stay home. 

My bigger worry is our health care workers.  I chatted with my doctor's office last week and the NP sounded ill.  She said they were all exhausted from the extra work load but were hanging in as best as possible.  It would be easy for one of them to be a carrier and not know it, spreading it to others. 

Prayers up this ends in the near term, with a few lives lost as possible.

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It's gonna get mighty hungry out there.

7 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

My bigger worry is our health care workers.  I chatted with my doctor's office last week and the NP sounded ill.  She said they were all exhausted from the extra work load but were hanging in as best as possible.  It would be easy for one of them to be a carrier and not know it, spreading it to others. 

Same here. My daughter is a surgical tech so she's in the hospital daily and with voluntary surgeries down she gets moved to other floors. I had no clue how a N95 mask digs into the wearers face until I saw her after work. WOW! 

Archived