SASS Wire Forum

Opinion on longrange bp

Jakeleg

I am recently coming back to my roots,I have been involved in longrange precision rifle for several years,and while I still enjoy it I have   always had my share of singleactions and have had a interest in cas. My question is I’ve recently acquired a couple leverguns and am really thinking about a highwall or sharps rifle to shoot bp 45-70. Is there anyone that can point me to someone where I could acquire a BPCR or sharps. I do see there are a few Winchester’s out there. Just wanting to pick up one and want to get a good one without breaking the bank,like everyone does I suppose. Just thought your opinions and thoughts will help and thanks. I have 1100 yard range right out my door shoot

Serious long range begins past 500yds.

Go with a Shiloh Sharps #1, w/30" hvy barrel in .45-90.

You want a MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule tang sight and a #113 front.

Check out Shiloh's site for what's on hand.

Also look up Bill Goodman in Montana.

OLG 

I understand that heck I have a 22 long rifle that is a hammer at 300-500 yards with good conditions,a local guy recommend Kelly sights as well.

4 hours ago, Jakeleg said:

I am recently coming back to my roots,I have been involved in longrange precision rifle for several years,and while I still enjoy it I have   always had my share of singleactions and have had a interest in cas. My question is I’ve recently acquired a couple leverguns and am really thinking about a highwall or sharps rifle to shoot bp 45-70. Is there anyone that can point me to someone where I could acquire a BPCR or sharps. I do see there are a few Winchester’s out there. Just wanting to pick up one and want to get a good one without breaking the bank,like everyone does I suppose. Just thought your opinions and thoughts will help and thanks. I have 1100 yard range right out my door shoot

A BPCR or a Pedersoli Sharps are my two suggestions. Half the price of a Montana gun. When your ready to upgrade you can sell either and drive to Big Timber with a Big Check.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

A BPCR or a Pedersoli Sharps are my two suggestions. Half the price of a Montana gun. When your ready to upgrade you can sell either and drive to Big Timber with a Big Check.

Better yet, learn with the Peter while the Shiloh is be'n built. ;)

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

A good idea there! 

Just now, Jakeleg said:

That’s what I am leaning towards thanks

BTW: Peter's are not half the price, more like 3/4.

The Shiloh you can have built to your specs.

The Peter is a production gun........

OLG 

13 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

And when you drive through Montana to pick up your Shiloh stop in Lewistown and I will buy lunch. GR

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

My first Sharps was a Pedersoli. A real tack driver for sure. 

My second and third Sharps are Shilohs, because they are works of art and I like that sort of thing. 

But down range where performance is all that counts, you can’t tell the difference between them. 

95% of SASS long range side matches are not long range. Most under 300 yards. And most are timed most hits out of 10 rounds in the fastest time. So BP is at a disadvantage. BPCR is 500 meters max. 

While Shiloh and C-Sharps are fantastic rifles they both have a long waiting list as in a year or more for a rifle made to your spec's. The real issue is the shooter, the load and the quality of the barrel.

Pedersoli Sharps are readily available, half the cost, and are now used by many good BPCR shooters

Your shoulder will thank you for going to a 45-70. Brass is made by everyone.

Your money is well spent on a good quality sight systems. MVA is one of the best. Buy the long range Soule.

After al of that its about powder, bullets and loads.

I currently own a 45-90 C. Sharps high wall that I have had for more than a decade.  Before that I had a Pedersolli 1874 in 45-90 for another decade.  Both shot exceptionally well at 1,000 yards.  At ranges under 500 yards, this is way too much cartridge.  I solved that problem with another C. Sharps high wall in 40-65.  While it can be used at 1,000 yards, it is perfect for the shorter ranges.  

Based on my experience you have really excellent choices depending on your interests.  

All excellent replies guys,and Grass Range if I ever decide to go that route I’ll take you up on dinner,lol.

3 hours ago, Jakeleg said:

All excellent replies guys,and Grass Range if I ever decide to go that route I’ll take you up on dinner,lol.

If he's buying the drinks too I'll make that drive!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

My longrange  gun is a Uberti High Wall  in .40-65 it Shoots flatter drifts less in the Wind and Kick less than the .45-70 ...

Both the SD. BC. are Slightly higher on my 422 gr.  than that of .45 caliber bullets of 535 gr. bullets .

You need a bigger case to push those 535 gr. bullets to the speeds I can get my bullets up too, then recoil starts to get punishing .

I use my .40-65 out past 1,100 yards every year ...

Jabez Cowboy

What Ike said!! Except I prefer the Baldwin front sight and get the MVA Buffalo Soule sight. You won't regret it!!

On 3/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

This is sort of what I did. I ordered the Shiloh (14 month quote became 2 years to build) and bought a used C Sharps 1875 for around $1000 to cut my teeth on. Learned a lot in those two years on that gun that helped me better prepare for the Shiloh. 

48 minutes ago, Jasper Agate said:

What Ike said!! Except I prefer the Baldwin front sight and get the MVA Buffalo Soule sight. You won't regret it!!

and this here’s the man that helped me build my Shiloh and got me started on loading for bp long range. Still helps me in fact, as I don’t think you ever stop learning bp long range 

31 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Never was a fan of the Sharps action.  Lock time seems to take forever.  The Highwall has a very fast locktime.  It's absolutely my preference for that reason.

More long range BP accuracy records are held by the Sharps, than all others combined.;)

Lock time is not an issue with the Sharps. 

OLG 

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

More long range BP accuracy records are held by the Sharps, than all others combined.;)

Lock time is not an issue with the Sharps. 

OLG 

It is for me.  I  have a tremor, diagnosed as "Essential Tremor".  Lock time is critical for me to make precise shots.

Contact Buffalo Arms.

My advice is get a C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps I use a .50-140 3-1/4" but a .45-90  is used b a lot of top shooters. Montana Vintage Arms extra long range sights are imperative.

If you are serious, you need brass, bullet molds, melting pot, a cork board, a blow tube, a humidity meter, thermometer, long range scope, shooting box, wind flags, folding table, and chair and, most vital, a good spotter.

Start with the best and work your way up to it.

Take a good look at Browning's BPCR in 45-70 or 45-90.  They came from the factory with Badger Barrels (sort of the gold standard for black powder barrels).  They came with very usable soule type sights.  They regularly appear Gunbroker.  But only look for the BPCR model, the other Browning single shot models are not as good.  My son and I each have 40-65 BPCR rifles.  And we both gave up using them to shoot beyond 600 yards.  The wind pushes that little 40 caliber bullet around too much.  We have noticeably better hit performance by the 45 caliber bullets when shooting past 600 yards.   

There is no such thing as too much cartridge for shorter distances.  If the shooter does their part, all the bigger rounds shoot very well at shorter ranges.  A hit is a hit.

I have 2 Shiloh 1874 Sharps, and when compared to the high walls, they are noticeably slower to load and fire.  So, it you are shooting matches that are timed, go with a high wall, one that fully cocks the hammer when the action is opened.

My C. Sharps .50-140 3-1/4" with its MVA extra long distance sights is a joy to shoot at 300, 500, 1,000 and long range. IMO, the outfit is very reasonably priced.

I's never recommend anything tinier than .45-90. People do differently with recoil. Some simply can't handle it.

I use 500 grains at chickens and a 650 grain Postell for longer range.

Your most important "tool" is a good spotter. You will never do well without one.

Thanks fellows, I put my name on a Shiloh,already have casting supplies and ordered a mold from Steve brooks.Got some powder and brass,and other things rounded up,now the hard part is waiting.

Archived