SASS Wire Forum

410 Lever for Buckaroo

bgavin

Hypothetical question:  any thoughts on a lever action Marlin 1895 or Henry in .410 gauge for a buckaroo?

I know these are a bit heavy at 7+ pounds.
Our grandson buckaroo is only 3 at the moment, but he gonna be a strapping kid in a few years.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Hypothetical question:  any thoughts on a lever action Marlin 1895 or Henry in .410 gauge for a buckaroo?

I know these are a bit heavy at 7+ pounds.
Our grandson buckaroo is only 3 at the moment, but he gonna be a strapping kid in a few years.

I think you will find the Henry Shotgun is tube fed. Loading singly through the ejection port with a 410 might be more of a mountain than a molehill. And at 900+ dollar, not the least expensive option.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Take a look at the Yildiz .410 double at Academy https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-410-side-by-side-break-open-shotgun

These are very good shotguns for the money.

I heard that about the Stoegers also, and got badly burned.
No more cheap SxS for me.

Ace: I was wondering about loading singles... thanks for the tip.

The review I just saw talked about the Henry having a loading gate. I still can't imagine it being good in our game. I might get me one of those Yildiz doubles for myowndangself!

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Suit yourself.

I don't intend to sound disingenuous...  sorry if it came across that way.
But I've got more than a gut full of cheap guns and their problems.

I bought the Stoeger in June of 2019, and have not had a shotgun since then due to CA waiting periods, lost shipments, broken barrel lug, and delays for a refund.
Tomorrow at 10am, I can finally pick up the Charles Daly 500 I bought from Deuce.

9 months delay.

I really like the Henry side + tube loader, but synthetic stocks are a deal breaker.
The brass model is very appealing to me.

Digging in a bit deeper, I can see feeding a 410 is a pricey affair for ammo, or another MEC to reload.

Thanks to all for the education.

I guess you have checked GunBroker  already......

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

H&R and NEF are both (now) Remlins, made in New York.
I'm wondering if the older guns (pre-Marlin, pre-Remington) are of better quality.

Decode the serial numbers and figure it out.

I'd start almost any youngster with a 12 gauge and light 3/4 ounce loads.   Buying .410 shells just for cowboy shooting is a high dollar choice.

Cut the stock (and barrel)  short enough that they can hold up the gun properly, put on a nice recoil pad.   Most all of them will learn very quickly how to shoot a shotgun well.

Good luck, GJ

That is pretty much my same conclusion.
410 is expensive feed no matter how it is produced, and I don't need any safe queens at my age.

Today, I get the Charles Daly I bought from Deuce.
I already have 3/4 oz STS loads figured out for it.

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I'd start almost any youngster with a 12 gauge and light 3/4 ounce loads.   Buying .410 shells just for cowboy shooting is a high dollar choice.

Cut the stock (and barrel)  short enough that they can hold up the gun properly, put on a nice recoil pad.   Most all of them will learn very quickly how to shoot a shotgun well.

Good luck, GJ

+100

10 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

That's all very true.  And there isn't really that much recoil difference between a light loaded 12 ga and a factory load 410.  I started very young (and small) on a .410 single shot, as a kid.  I recall first shooting my dad's 12 ga sxs and remarking that it didn't kick near as hard.  Very young kids can shoot a 12 ga with appropriate loads.  My tiny wife shoots 3/4 Oz over 12 gn of Extralite, with a 175 (pink) Claybuster wad in STS hulls.   It's adequate to KD targets, and bust clay birds--recoil no problem for her.  

See if you can find a couple of old Savage Four Tenners and insert them into your 12 gauge SxS.  Probably cost less than getting a new  .410 shotgun.  

For shells, make shotshells out of .444 Marlin brass, or even .45 Colt for low power ones.  Get the shot capsules to keep it simple.   It works very well.  

Four Tenners... that is preventive inventive...   I will look into it.

I finally got my Charles Daly from Deuce...  it is FAR nicer than the photos showed.
I'm stoked!

I'm looking forward to some 3/4 oz loads... but all the ranges are closed so I would have to drive to Timbuktu to find a place to shoot it.

DDD: does that ExtraLite 3/4 oz load burn dirty?
Pressure is pretty low.

There are a couple of Buckaroo shooters in my area who are shooting .410 doubles.  The hulls don’t shuck very readily.  Factory .410 shotshells have a surprising bark and a hefty price tag.  I’ve seen handloads made from .444 Marlin cases that seem a little milder.

If I were outfitting a Buckaroo who is too small to handle a light loaded 12 gauge double I would try a single shot with a shortened stock.

A 12 ga is no heavier really and then you don't have to buy another shotgun later. Cut the stock down and keep the wood. Then get a used MEC jr and you can load 12 ga down to very usable levels. 

Then when they get older add the wood back and cover it with leather. 

Ranges are on the ESSENTIAL BUSINESS list now and should be opening soon.

I wish that were true in NM.   But it ain't yet!

:(:angry: GJ

On 3/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I think you will find the Henry Shotgun is tube fed. Loading singly through the ejection port with a 410 might be more of a mountain than a molehill. And at 900+ dollar, not the least expensive option.

Not true .

I have the New Henry side gate 410 and it's a Beautiful Shotgun Rifle  in 410

Archived